Tankfest, Bovington Tank Museum, 23 May

Darn, Darn, Darn!!! - I have a business trip to the UK on May 25th and the 26th is a "Free-day" so will miss the 24th events, but I assume a trip to the museum on 26th will be worth the drive from London.

I remember visting this museum with my dad when I lived in England about 40 years ago - he "Bored" me with his stories as a tank driver and leg wounds received in WWII - Oh how I wished I had been more attentive to him back then.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Andreas:

Hm okay, I have been convinced by the number of tanks they want to roll out. I am also on the 9.30 from Waterloo. If someone else is going on that, bring a laptop with CM on it smile.gif

Return on the 19.05 from Wool. Cory, what are you doing after Sunday in the UK?

Should be on the same trains as your good self (assuming I don't go out saturday night)

Originally posted by Runyan99:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Return on the 19.05 from Wool. Cory, what are you doing after Sunday in the UK?

I'll be in the UK until Thursday. I had considered a trip to Portsmouth to the see the Victory, but I think I'll just head back to London instead. A little shopping, a little drinking, but nothing planned. I'll be available. I'd enjoy another trip to the pub, or perhaps a little head-to-head CM.

Well, since Andreas is my mate, I'm going to have to make it 12:30 also. See you then. </font>

Andreas, when I was at Bovington, they had these "homegrown" books. About 6mm thick, and chock full of photos, especially close-ups. I bought the one on the Tiger, and I remember one other (on Stugs?). Do me a favor, and have a look at what is available. I'm interested on anything having to do with open-top SP guns or the early panzers. Drop me a line.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Your mother never told you about the pot and kettle, eh? Then again, you are an engineer, what use could you have for good looks? Would be wasted on you, really. :D

Yes she did. A pot is for boiliing things in and kettles are for making tea.

What do you mean, would? They are, at least in Cranfield, "the University that women forgot". :(

The Tiger was out alright and it made one lap of the track and then parked again. It didn't sound too healthy and some of the guys were saying that it's engine hadn't all it's cylinders connected and so firing. Still it was a pretty impressive display from the old beast.

When the show was over they invited people onto the track to get close ups of the tanks when they were not running. As the crowd thinned out they started to park the tanks. We all got an excellent view then of the Tiger reversing out of her parking spot and turning off towards the parking area. It was good as we were much closer to it than when it was running around the track. Loads of pictures of it (as did all the other guys) which I'd be happy to pass onto anyone.