CMA or CMBB

I suppose it depends on what are you interested the most - CMBB with its Eastern Front or CMAK with North Africa and Italy ?

As far as I'm concerned there aren't any major differences under the hood, so I suppose it boils down to which theater interests you more. After CMBO I was thirsty for some Eastern Front action, and even though I own both BB and AK, I find myself playing only BB.

You can tell there have been improvements - graphics are better in BB and AK and the algorythms seem to be worked over. Short: tactics that worked in BO won´t work out the same in BB or AK and even gunfights turn out different if you use exactly the same scenarios. A few BO scenarios have been ported over to AK and they play definitely different.

And - what I consider REALLY a good idea - you have dust in AK. In the desert and on dry streets etc. now dust clouds rise up when vehicles drive...

Everything else is more or less the same.

If you like CMBO and want more of the ETO on the better CMBB game engine then you really NEED to get CMAK

Other wise if you just want a change of pace and to play on the Eastern front CMBB will be fine.

There might be a package deal from BFC where you can get them both together but I am not sure what is being offered in the way of marketing these days.

Good luck

you will be happy with either one of those games so don't worry!

smile.gif

-tom w

There's a trade-off in features.

CMAK has cool dust columns and increased turn rates for vehicles. CMBB has giant factories and human wave attacks. Some CMBB users hated the non-English speech aspect of the game, while some CMAK users hated the peculiarities of open desert warfighting. CMBB has King Tigers, Sturmtigers, and every kind of T34 imaginable. CMAK has Lees, Grants, and every kind of Valentine imaginable.

I'd suggest paying a bit extra for the bundle pack and get the best - and worst - of both worlds!

I have not played CMAK as much as I would like to

so I am not sure of this

Did the King Tiger make it into CMAK?

How about the Elephant?

I can't recall where they drew the line of ETO dream armour and North African historical accuracy???

The Tiger I is in CMAK for Sure (I brewed on up real GOOD last night smile.gif he he in the ETO mod pack in the scenarios that came with it thanks to David L I think! thanks!)

-tom w

There never has been a Tiger IIB in Italy (and less in North Africa), so he´s just... not there. ;) The Elefant is in the game, because sPzJgAbt653 served in Italy in 1944. What was there in the time, is in the game. What was not there, is not in it. As simple as that.

Personally, I would have liked to see a few prototypes (mainly Panther F and Panther II) and fictional after-1945 scenarios, but maybe we will see that in CMX2...

This is a quote from the CMBB/CMAK pack, you can find the link off the main battlefront.com website.

The Combat Mission: Afrika Korps and Barbarossa to Berlin Bundle Pack combines our two most recent Combat Mission titles together in one pack at a reduced price of only $60, a savings of $10 from the normal prices of each game sold separately.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

CMBB, hands down. At least for me, sick and tired of WWII western front, and the greatest battles ever fought was on the eastern front. 1941-1945 with HEAPS of units, what's not to like?!?! :D

That it's boring as hell?

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer76:

CMBB, hands down. At least for me, sick and tired of WWII western front, and the greatest battles ever fought was on the eastern front. 1941-1945 with HEAPS of units, what's not to like?!?! :D

That it's boring as hell?

-dale</font>

Originally posted by Panzer76:

80mm front StuG's for what, 130pts? I love the feel of the scenarios in CMBB but the unit pricing policy is awful.

Originally posted by Pzman:

This is a quote from the CMBB/CMAK pack, you can find the link off the main battlefront.com website.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

The Combat Mission: Afrika Korps and Barbarossa to Berlin Bundle Pack combines our two most recent Combat Mission titles together in one pack at a reduced price of only $60, a savings of $10 from the normal prices of each game sold separately.

</font>

my main problem with BB is the fact that one of the german's advantages, the ability to stand off at long ranges (1-2k) and take out enemy t-34s, is totally negated. You can have a crack pzIVG sitting in some trees ambush 1 regular t-34 from 1300 meters, but invariably the t-34 will out shoot it. Maybe I'm a whiny crybaby, but I have regular/green t-34s outshoot crack wermacht tanks on a WAY too regular basis. Is it just me, or is the AI a little too good at shooting its tanks?

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

I think CDV sells them both even cheaper. Not sure though (and only if you live in Europe).

At least in Finland, I've seen CMBB for 8€ and CMAK for 10€. Didn't buy, because bought those games immediately after the release.

EDIT : Oh yeah! I like CMBB way more than CMAK.

[ June 30, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Kaiser Soze 71 ]

Sometimes I think the Ai is actually cheating. Crack crews are often outshot be regular or even green ones... but, ont he other hand the PzIV has a high silouette and not really good armor...

But somehow the AI manages - for my liking too often - to first kill the HQ tank, even when visibility is very low... so how´s that? I don´t rush my HQ tanks forward, but most of the time they´re the first ones to get shot at. Maybe it´s just bad luck, but might be not...

If you have played the demos of CMBB and CMAK and still find it difficult to decide which to get, go with CMBB. Years ago we had an extended discussion of the battles chosen for the CMBB demo. The botton line is that they were chosen to show off the many new game features of CMBB that CMBO did not have. The demo battles were not picked as the strongest examples of CMBB game play, which is how some of us thought the CMBB should have ben approached.

Since the game play is much better and deeper than is displayed in the CMBB demo and because CMBB covers so much ground in terms of geography, time frame, units and importance in the war, it may well be the best choice. But either way you will not lose and are likely to buy the second game in time.

I enjoy both, but if you must choose, get CMBB. I play mostly QBs. I find that the randomly generated landscapes are more varied in CMBB. And there are more options for tank and infantry flavors when you purchase units. In CMAK, there is much less infantry variety in the allies and I get frustrated when some types of infantry are only sold with loads of unnecessary halftracks.

Ah! something to bear in mind (or is that bare in mine?) too - the CMBB demo is... well... unusually sucky. It effectively shows old CMBO hands what the differences between games are but it definitaly does not have the replayability of CMBO's "Chance Encounter" for example. That may have been on purpose. BFC got a bit frustrated watching that old CMBO demo get played dozens of time over without the game subesquently being purchased.

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pzman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

</font>

The CM AI never has, and never will, cheat. If the AI were given some sort of advantage we'd be very open and honest about it (and therefore it isn't cheating). So, if it's beating you to the punch, it's because of something that is explainable in realistic terms. That's the facts :D

Personally, I'm a CMBBer all the way. But then again, I'm one of those types that likes to play as the Romanians, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much!

Steve