Well, the good news is...

Originally posted by Soddball:

... that all those scenarios and campaigns we spent hours writing won't be obsolete for at least 3 years.

Back to work, people! ;)

I don't know about three years, BFC has pointed out the new game engine will allow for a faster turn out rate on new games. Maybe by this time next year we'll be seeing the new WWII game... I hope. :(

I'm not disappointed at all. I wasn't looking for CMx2 to be CMBO redux. How many times can a feller see a Tiger blow up a Sherman?

That having been said, what the big CMx2 means does mean is I can keep happily modding because a CMAK 'replacement' is still going to be some ways off.

I've swallowed my disappointment. Besides I'm getting used to the fact that people who make games seldom give us what we want. They have their own agenda and well...I don't like it, but I can respect that. Apart from that I think we may call ourselves lucky that Battlefront already gave us what we wanted with the CM-series. I probably won't buy the new game, like I did with T-72 (haven't even installed it yet...), but I hope they will do well with it. It makes the chance for more fine games in the future only bigger. Combat Mission forever!

Sorry, but I cannot fathom the source of all this dissapointment! After all, it's not like BFC suddenly switched to producing a 3-D version of 'donkey kong". Soldiers will still get exhausted from too much running, tank guns will still be going off. Troops will continue to be pinned in open fields by mg fire.This wasn't what you expected? Admittedly, they probably won't be including that multi-turret Russian heavy tank in the new game, like everyone wanted.

If "Grognards" had turned out to be the first CMx2 title, now THAT would've been more of a shock, simply due the great difference in gameplay.

Deeply dissappointed with Battlefront!

After so much talking and talking for so long ... we have to wait for unknown time to play what CMx2 was promising to be a new WW II game.

Personally I will not buy it, although I hope it goes well for Battlefront.

Thanks for giving us the CM-series, but for the near future we have to find something else.

I think in the CM-series we already found something else, Spartan1, and I think the CM-community will stay strong and alive for a long, long time.

I didn't mean to start another 'How could they...'-thread, MikeyD, but I don't understand how you fail to see the source of people's disappointment. Battleground is the only company that makes decent WW 2 games, so we will have to wait longer. Like I said, I don't mind since CM has enough power in it to keep me gaming until the end of times, but still....

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Sorry, but I cannot fathom the source of all this dissapointment! After all, it's not like BFC suddenly switched to producing a 3-D version of 'donkey kong". Soldiers will still get exhausted from too much running, tank guns will still be going off. Troops will continue to be pinned in open fields by mg fire.This wasn't what you expected? Admittedly, they probably won't be including that multi-turret Russian heavy tank in the new game, like everyone wanted.

If "Grognards" had turned out to be the first CMx2 title, now THAT would've been more of a shock, simply due the great difference in gameplay.

There are lots of very good reasons for not liking the choice of the first game using the new engine, but you know where all the arguments are, so if you need a refresher then go and read them.

Good point Treeburst : )

BTW it is probably wise for us diehards to make sure that the games do not dwindle away. I am concerned that potential players having bought the game go to the opponents forum it is virtually dead. There purchase may seem a little hollow against the AI only.

Any suggestions? If necessary I could say I will play anybody who posts there on 10th month etc. Ideally they translate into club players as I suspect with Les Grogs and particularly defectors to CMSF the potential for collapsing clubs - or at least fragmentation to less viable levels.

I have played CM since the beginning. I waited with intense anticipation for CMBO (I wore the beta games out!!) When CMBB came out I bought it immediately and enjoyed the changes introduced. CMAK was like a gift from heaven as I'm a big fan of the desert war years. Certainly Battlefront has taught me patience. Good games are brought out all the time...Great games like CM break the mold and come around very seldom. Let these guys take the time to bring their vision to fruition...each long, nail bitting wait as been well worth it!

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

The REALLY good news is that the Peng and Waffle threads have moved on to a forum I PROBABLY won't be spending much time on. That's two fewer useless threads to clutter up page 1 of my beloved CMAK forum. :D

Treeburst155 out.

That is VERY GOOD news. They should call it Up In Flames.

Originally posted by spartan1:

Deeply dissappointed with Battlefront!

After so much talking and talking for so long ... we have to wait for unknown time to play what CMx2 was promising to be a new WW II game.

Personally I will not buy it, although I hope it goes well for Battlefront.

Thanks for giving us the CM-series, but for the near future we have to find something else.

I have to echo the above sentiment even though I just learned about it.

I bought two of every CMx1 title they put out. We-go is the only way to wargame in my book. I am grateful for the TONS of great fun that I had with them. <sigh>

With that said, I have to say that it is a REAL weird feeling to know that I won't be buying the first CMx2 title.

I just do not wargame anything contemporary. Besides that is one part of the world that I want absolutely nothing to do with. IMHO, they would've done better having Space Lobsters from Mars as the first CMx2 title.

Good luck Battlefront. At least we have Les Grognards.

smile.gif