Combat Mission: Afrika Korps licensed by the Australian Department of Defence!

Excuse my ignorance (surely a quality I should be proud of as an Australian), but could anyone tell me when was the last time an Australian AFV engaged an enemy AFV in combat?

I'm not trying to suggest we don't need that capability - I'd just like to know.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to be SWPA. Either New Guinea or more likely Borneo. I seem to have a memory in the back of my mind of some Japanese light tanks being encountered by a Mathilda.

This does show one of the major problems the RAAC has faced for most of its existence - it needs to justify itself. Indeed, it nearly lost the Leopard AS1s about 15 years ago, because Treasury pointed out their parade queen status, versus their massive costs to keep. The Army lied at the time and hid the true costs.

While I think we do need a tank. We need one optomised for our defence environment. Not to provide a means for the Army to run off at the behest of Washington and earn a few more gongs (the main supporter of expeditionary warfare is of course the Army, as it means they can swan around the world on extended tax-payer provided hols and do a bit of duty-free shopping in exotic locations, even if the adrenalin has to be got pumping occasionally and it does mean they have to kill a few of the locals in the process. The other services are much happier supporting "Fortress Australia", as it means they get the biggest slices of the budget pie ;) ).

Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

Have to be SWPA. Either New Guinea or more likely Borneo. I seem to have a memory in the back of my mind of some Japanese light tanks being encountered by a Mathilda.

Yeah, I considered that possibility, but discarded it due to the general scarcity of Japanese tanks. Anything in Korea (unlikely)?

Tank v. tank isn't the only reason you'd have a tank.

Originally posted by JonS:

Yeah, I considered that possibility, but discarded it due to the general scarcity of Japanese tanks. Anything in Korea (unlikely)?

RAAC didn't deploy any units to Korea. Some individuals may have served, attached to UK armoured units but no Australian Armoured Corps units participated.

Tank v. tank isn't the only reason you'd have a tank.

Of course not. However, as we are extremely unlikely in our area of strategic interest to encounter tanks, I think its a fairly safe bet that we don't need a full MBT of the most recent types. As much as our turret heads hate to admit it, it is infantry in our region which is still Queen of the Battlefield and thence their job to support it, rather than the other way 'round.

[ July 01, 2004, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Private Bluebottle ]

...it is infantry in our region which is still Queen of the Battlefield...

Well, you heard it here first. The Australians are admitting that their infantry are the queens of the battlefield.

I never realized 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' was a documentary on the Aussie military...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

Well, you heard it here first. The Australians are admitting that their infantry are the queens of the battlefield.

I never realized 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' was a documentary on the Aussie military... </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

I never realized 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' was a documentary on the Aussie military... </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Richie:

[Yep, even our poofs are tough enough to crack a Macadamia nut with their bum cheeks and what they can do with a well placed stiletto, you won't believe! tongue.gif

Are you for real???

</font>

Originally posted by Noba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Richie:

[Yep, even our poofs are tough enough to crack a Macadamia nut with their bum cheeks and what they can do with a well placed stiletto, you won't believe! tongue.gif

Are you for real???

</font>

Originally posted by bruceb:

Why does Australia need tanks in the first place?

Easily answered.

To give the lads at Pucka something to do. :D

Real answer is however a combined arms self sufficiency.

btw, Australia has had AFVs as part of the force mix since before WW2 (1920s IIRC).

Last time our MBTs were used in Combat was Vietnam, where they were used mainly for infantry support (refer JonS' reference above)

Mace

[ July 19, 2004, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Mace ]

Originally posted by Mace:

Real answer is however a combined arms self sufficiency.

Mace

Wouldn't it just be easier for the Aussie Head Guy to call up the American President and say: "Here, lad, we're sending some of our lot over to Kiwiland, and we need a load a tanks to blast the hell out of their pool cabanas," and the Prez simply sends over an armoured division to carry the Aussie's towels and smite whatever real estate has grown naughty in their sight?