Combat Mission: Afrika Korps licensed by the Australian Department of Defence!

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lithuanian:

Many Australians fought heroically and with tremendous tactical innovation in the Pacific Front.

Sure but even if they did do it, all you would do is bleat that there weren’t Americans in it. </font>

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Lithuanian:

In my admittedly poor understanding, the Kokoda Trail was pretty much an Aussie show.

Well to conceal your lack of knowledge start by calling it the Kokoda TRACK (not Trail).

Trail makes it sound like some sort of nature walk (and pi@@es off the guys who were there).

In my admittedly poor understanding, the Kokoda Trail was pretty much an Aussie show.

Well to conceal your lack of knowledge start by calling it the Kokoda TRACK (not Trail).

Trail makes it sound like some sort of nature walk (and pi@@es off the guys who were there). </font>

I'm still curious as to how this will be utilized. I know, for 'educational' purposes, which is cool. But educating who, exactly? Will every soldier get the disc the first day of boot camp? "Your from Perth, eh mate? I didn't know they stacked s**t that high in Perth! Drop and give me 20... hours of CMAK that is". And in what setting? Regular classroom? Will there be tests? It's all just so very unusual (or not, how should I know?)...

Originally posted by Richie:

In fact it is 'The Kokoda Trail'...

If you search with Yahoo or Google I'm sure you'll find many Australian books about it.

The Australian War Memorial Track Vs Trail says:

"Kokoda Trail" or "Kokoda Track" ?

There has been a considerable debate about whether the difficult path that crossed the Owen Stanley Range should be called the "Kokoda Trail" or the "Kokoda Track". Both "Trail" and "Track" have been in common use since the war. "Trail" is probably of American origin but has been used in many Australian history books and was adopted by the Australian Army as an official "Battle Honour". "Track" is from the language of the Australian bush. It is commonly used by veterans, and is used in the volumes of Australia's official history. Both terms are correct, but "Trail" appears to be used more widely.

But if you talk to the guys “who went there, did that” they’ll “knock your block off” if you call it that.

Your choice, but I know whoose version I accept.

[ May 25, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gibsonm:

Trail makes it sound like some sort of nature walk (and pi@@es off the guys who were there). </font>

Try “Ragged Bloddy Heroes” - an account of how the 39th Bn (a militia - reserve unit) stopped the Japanese.

Thanks for the recommendation - have been curious since I read a note in another book calling Isurava(sp?) an 'Australian Thermopylae', but have never run across an account when book-browsing.

Battalion size engagement too, the Kokoda actions would make a fascinating CM operation.

Try “Ragged Bloddy Heroes” - an account of how the 39th Bn (a militia - reserve unit) stopped the Japanese.

Thanks for the recommendation - have been curious since I read a note in another book calling Isurava(sp?) an 'Australian Thermopylae', but have never run across an account when book-browsing.

Battalion size engagement too, the Kokoda actions would make a fascinating CM operation. </font>

Guest Mike

This of course follows NZ & ausie & other defence/army depts buysing TacOps - BFC are obviously doing a great job with their (reasonable) historical accuracy beign a major selling point!

now if we can just convince Sliterine (Saprtan, Legion, CoW) and Activision (Total War) to do the same.... smile.gif

Originally posted by With Clusters:

I'm still curious as to how this will be utilized. I know, for 'educational' purposes, which is cool. But educating who, exactly?

I can't state the intended purpose of this announcement, but it has certainly been educational for many of us former BFC customers who paid full price for CM:AK and have requested an open discourse on the patches only to be told that "something great" was in the works and that we should just trust them.

I will be eagerly awaiting the news that these additions to the CM lexicon will be available for free download to existing customers - or at the least that the suggested patches we have been discussing here on the forum for many months now will be released without delay.

"Kokoda: The Track and the History"

"Kokoda is the name of a Village at the foot of northern edge of the Owen Stanley Ranges, Papua New Guinea (PNG). It is the start of a very famous National Walking Trail crossing the Owen Stanley's on a North-South lateral over some of the most difficult terrain in the world. It is known as the "Kokoda Trail" and referred to often as "the track", which is colloquial Australian for a rough or unformed path or road.

The trail is 90 kilometres in length between Kokoda and Ower's Corner, just 42 kilometres north of Port Moresby (the capital of PNG). It ascends up to nearly 3,000m (7,000ft) at its highest, plunging up and down, sometimes 1,000m to 2,000 m at a time, see-sawing its way over the mountain ranges. Distance is measured in time rather than kilometres.

Passing through high altitude rain forests, thick jungles, along knife edge ridges down into dank, dark, morose creeks or crossing wide raging torrents at the valley floors. Crossing these obstacles by either wet, slippery and treacherous logs, fording them up to your neck in chilly mountain waters or using temporary and rudimentary native bridges.

The Kokoda walking trail, is a 2,000 year old communications path between the villages over the mountains. This was also the battleground for one of the most bitter and savagely contested campaigns of the South Pacific in World War II (WWII). The Campaign was Officially referred to by the War Nomenclatures Committee as the battle of the "Kokoda Trail", hence the appearance of that name in Official records and on Regimental Banners of units that fought there."

This would be a write up I copied and pasted from

HERE to do with the well known film by Damien Parer, "Kokoda Front Line" that won an academy award in 1943...

but, however you like it.

Richie

Boots & Trails

[ May 26, 2004, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Richie ]

Originally posted by With Clusters:

I'm still curious as to how this will be utilized. I know, for 'educational' purposes, which is cool. But educating who, exactly? Will every soldier get the disc the first day of boot camp?

Obviously, they're going to issue it to officer candidates; after viewing the multimedia presentation on the Battle of Crete and maybe doing a bit of reading, they will be paired off and given a set of scenarios (training exercises) to play and learn how to deal with some of the tactical problems encountered during the campaign.

Good on ya, Battlefront!

Way to go Rob.

Hopefully you licenced the Mac version as well for us enlightened members of the ADF?

Make that a Mac OS X version of CMAK or the next game (which I know they're working on ;). Australian content AND Mac OS X - it won't get any better than that.

Originally posted by Capt.Clicky:

Way to go Rob.

Hopefully you licenced the Mac version as well for us enlightened members of the ADF?

Make that a Mac OS X version of CMAK or the next game (which I know they're working on ;). Australian content AND Mac OS X - it won't get any better than that. </font>

Originally posted by Capt.Clicky:

True, too true, but have it on good authority that an X build is 'definitely' going to happen and I'd rather a delay than none at all. I miss my CM...

Capt. Clicky

eMac 1GHz | 1GB

X.3.4 / sadly that is all

Yes I agree, CM 2 / CM X will support both OS X and Windows whatever. But I’m pretty sure that CMAK:ADF will be built on the current engine (OS 9 / Windows).

This would let them get it “out the door” pretty quickly and not delay CM 2 / CM X too much. No doubt there will be a CM 2 / CM X module to replace CMAK:ADF in due course and BFC can sell that as an upgrade to the ADF (or the first few upgrades may already be built in to the initial purchase price).

Kokoda wouldn't be something you could model with CM. I'm suprised that no mention has been made of Milne Bay, which was the first clear cut land victory of any force over the Japanese

Perhaps if the ADF did have a PNG version produced, it could ship with some sort of video presentation for the Regs pointing out the formations that stopped the Japanese were all comprised of reservists of one sort or another.

Dorsch, I'm not entirely sure why your so terribly upset a company you have conducted two or three transactions with won't provide you with cotent specifically developed for a large corporate customer.

Originally posted by average:

Perhaps if the ADF did have a PNG version produced, it could ship with some sort of video presentation for the Regs pointing out the formations that stopped the Japanese were all comprised of reservists of one sort or another.

Don’t you start rocking the “one Army concept” now ;)

But to be fair most of full time units were either on their way back from the Middle East or already stuck in Changi and bound for a terrible fate.

But to be fair most of full time units were either on their way back from the Middle East or already stuck in Changi and bound for a terrible fate.
Sadly, very true. I have an uncle who survived Changi. All my life I've never heard him mention one single word about the war.

Originally posted by average:

I don't think they would do that as it's not true.

Dorsch, I'm not entirely sure why your so terribly upset a company you have conducted two or three transactions with won't provide you with cotent specifically developed for a large corporate customer.
I think it might have something to do with errors and omissions being rectified at the behest of said "corporate customer" but not otherwise. Who knows I might actually give some consideration to buying the game if these corrections are incorporated into the commercial version.