PIATS SUCK?!

Well the upside is that the enemy can't see you, the down side is you can't hit the enemy. I mean 12 shots from ~100 meters in a current PBEM? And add to that about 18 shots from about 150 meters. Crews are green and regular. Is this normal or am I just unlucky?

Last couple of games I've played I've seen Piat's get half-a-dozen or so hits on Panthers (both fro and agaisnt me) - none of them did any damage, but 1 panther that was already immobilised and had lost it's commander decided to bail out under the barrage - which makes perfect sense to me.

Originally posted by WineCape:

Above advice = good. If you have lots of PIAT's, use some of them as decoys against the Panthers so that the rest can work better angles under 50m. Gettting good volunteers is another matter...

bah you dont ask you tell em *points at the unsuspetting pvt Bob* ... 'you just volunteered yourself'

Put the Shermans in any dead ground you can find. They are the bait. Put the PIATs in places close to where the Panthers would need to go to get LOS - around the trees or over the crest that will see the Shermans. If the Panthers have to come close to get LOS to your Shermans, you get two things - PIAT ambushes, and cross fire from the Shermans to get flanks. Just don't advance out of the low dead ground on your own.

• 1 month later...

Well, do PIAT's suck? You be the judge.

I am playing a Scenario of "Rock in the Flood" with a friend, I am the Poles. His Panthers and SP guns knocked out a clutch of 5 Shermans for the loss of 1 Stug, 1 Marder and a couple of halftracks. As he advanced towards the smoking Sherman hulks the following scene happened:

The Setup: A lone PIAT Gunner hiding in the midst of his Rifle Platoon as two Panthers advance. My PIAT gunner draws a bead on the lead Panther:

setup25mz.th.jpg

He fires the first round, a miss.

shot13bo.th.jpg

OK, he's got 5 more rounds. He fires again. Another miss! **** that big old tank is only

59 meters away!

shot25nc.th.jpg

The Panthers don't seem to react! He lines up, fires and damned if he doesn't miss again! PIAT's SUCK OUT LOUD!

shot32rd.th.jpg

The Panthers are now starting to swing their turrets, I'm going to watch my men get massacred! He fires again. A hit. Well what do you know?

shot42jv.th.jpg

Oh no! My PIAT gunner has shifted targets, and the first tank is still moving! Holy ****, what an Idiot! He fires. A hit! PIAT's ain't bad.

shot56hd.th.jpg

The PIAT Gunner shifts to the 1st Panther. Won't he finish any of these off? He fires!

Another Hit! Awesome! PIAT's are good!

shot67ie.th.jpg

My PIAT gunner takes fire from off camera tanks. But wait a momment, what is this? Both tank crews bail out! PIAT's ARE ****ING AWESOME!

WHAT A TOTALLY DEADLY, AWESOME, BITCHIN, AND VALUABLE WEAPON!!!!!

aftermath0mj.th.jpg

So PIAT - Piece o'****e or incredible piece of British ingenuity?

Or was I only lucky?

DavidI

Originally posted by tar:

I've often had good luck with PIATs at close range. Although there was one incident (in CMBO) where I watched the PIAT shell bounce off of the target tank and back into the room with the PIAT team, killing them....

How is that even possible? HC rounds do not ricochet whatsoever.

Shrecks and bazookas are incredibly over modeled in CMBO as well. I remember 180m fantasy shots with shrecks, brewing tanks left and right. They had an insane hit chance ratio which was totally diminished in CMBB, and is probably worse in CMAK.

Also, David I your post made me laugh quite a bit. PIATS are ****ty, but yet so awesome.

Originally posted by RMC:

Give the AI a bunch of PIATs and see how it uses them. Back in CMBO days (with bazookas at least), the AI was fond of the hail mary max range shot and seemed to do pretty well.

Because we all know the AI had miracle aim when it came to shooting at our tanks. :mad: :mad:

I'm guessing that it was an optical illusion, with the "rebounding" PIAT round actually being a Nahverteidigungswaffe round.

Originally posted by securityguard:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tar:

I've often had good luck with PIATs at close range. Although there was one incident (in CMBO) where I watched the PIAT shell bounce off of the target tank and back into the room with the PIAT team, killing them....

How is that even possible? HC rounds do not ricochet whatsoever.

Shrecks and bazookas are incredibly over modeled in CMBO as well. I remember 180m fantasy shots with shrecks, brewing tanks left and right. They had an insane hit chance ratio which was totally diminished in CMBB, and is probably worse in CMAK.

Also, David I your post made me laugh quite a bit. PIATS are ****ty, but yet so awesome. </font>