art & mortars against open turret TDs

Only some kinds of art. I suppose some modern art will cause nausea, but a classic like the Mona Lisa is simply a diversionary tactic.

Sculpture, on the other hand, could be quite devastating; imagine the statue of David dropped from a decent height will cause all sorts of damage.

Killing tanks with artilllery/mortars was real easy in CMBO. In CMBB the feature was turned down substantially (due to board complaints?). In my experience its AWFULLY hard now to hit a tank with off-board artillery. Sometimes you get a lucky mobility kill or gun damage. If you achieve a proper 'turret roof penetration' kill from an artillery strike you must have angels on your side!

By dropping 81mm Mortar rounds near an M-10 I forced it to move involuntarily. Unforturnately for it, it moved right into the line of sight of my Panther.

On another occasion my opponent dropped some 105 Arty on top of two Pz IVJ's of mine. The 1st Round decapitated both tank's commanders at the same time. The fourth round immobilized one of the Panzers. Bummer.

DavidI

-----

"....and thanks for all the fish".

It can be useful to drop mortars or artillery on armour to strip them of infantry. In certain circumstances you can even use it to button the target to make it an easier kill for your AFV's, if you don't have a sharpshooter to hand, for example. In general I prefer to save them for dealing with guns or concentrations of infantry, as the KO chance seems a pretty poor bargain.

If an open topped AFV is moving down, say, a road & will pass close to a patch of trees, it's worth area firing the edge of the trees to get an airburst to take out the TC, or even force abandonment. Whether the abandonment is because the TC is killed (I've had a sniper force an abandonment of a Panther :D ) or it's to simulate more damage I don't know.

There is a battle in the CMAK guide scenario pack that deals with this. Basically you get a couple (one?) palttons of inf. and a 155mm spotter, with a VERY exposed Tiger sitting on a ridge. Since you are given no AT you must use arty to get rid of the cat. I dun think this one would work well as 2-player, but vs AI germans its fun little scenario

I'd forgotten about the halftrack you got with that mortar round, John. Nice shot. At the time, I thought it was a bazooka round. While my 120mm mortar spotter claimed a couple of open-topped vehicles, I was surprised at how effective the on-board mortars were. Between your 60mm mortars and my 81mm mortars (using area fire from more than 1,000m away), I think 3 or 4 vehicles got blasted.

I took a tiger out a few weeks back in a test QB against one of my onionwars colleagues. Hit it with a 120mm and got a top penetration. As I only had 'old' t34s on the rest of the board, it was worth rolling the arty at it, even if only to force it to button whilst I ran for the flank shots.

Grum

I'm surprised Kettler is the only one to mention 60ms. They are my weapon of choice for all open topped vehicles. The great advantage being that the spotter can stay hidden, and the mortar can be out of LOS.

105s and 150s will wipe out M10s just by falling close by, one shell can even take out two close by M10s.

For closed tanks, 105s and 150s can work, but with a great waste of ammo. Lucky shots are cool, but I save it for arty and "infantry?".

I have read quite a few accounts of infantry calling in 150s on tanks to knock them out, but have never been able to reliably manage that in CMXX

Thanks, Ace Pilot! In fairness, to you, the 120mm mortar fire very nearly destroyed my entire M-10 force--in addition to wreaking all sorts of other havoc. Also, I need to forgive you for oh so prematurely depriving me of my M-16 GMC via apparent 81mm mortar fire. Would be remiss, though,

if I failed to note my other significant 60mm mortar victim--your Marder.

Regards,

John Kettler