I *hate* "rocky" terrain!

Being in the midst of a variety of desert PBEMs, I'm finding myself continually tangled up in rocky.

It is a complete PITA. Wheras with every other terrain type, you can look at the "map" and get an idea of what routes you should be taking, with rocky, you have to do this "select a unit, scan around with LOS tool" nonsense. And it *really* matters that you take the time to do it. Get your vehicles tangled up in rocky, and they are *slow* and *bogged*.

Here is another plea to the modders: please someone make us a mod that helps us see rocky!

GaJ.

(While a mod with Sylvestor Stalone fishing in an assault boat would be entertaining, that's not what I'm asking for! ;) )

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Being in the midst of a variety of desert PBEMs, I'm finding myself continually tangled up in rocky.

It is a complete PITA. Wheras with every other terrain type, you can look at the "map" and get an idea of what routes you should be taking, with rocky, you have to do this "select a unit, scan around with LOS tool" nonsense. And it *really* matters that you take the time to do it. Get your vehicles tangled up in rocky, and they are *slow* and *bogged*.

Here is another plea to the modders: please someone make us a mod that helps us see rocky!

This is a good idea. I don't know how rocky is in AK, but in BB, it's part of the terrain do-dads that won't be on the map if you turn off the extra terrain features.

The problem is you cannot make the stones bigger so it is very hard to make them more visible, without reverting too drastical methods like bright orange stones.

Besides, a full MBT wouldn't really care about rocky terrain that slows down lighter vehicles like the rocky terrain in CM does.

There were some done for CMBB that helped you see it.Just use the mods that were done for BB.To my knowledge,they are the same BMP numbers(2130,2131).

If there arent any at CMMODs(as a result of the crash),maybe someone would upload them for you.

Edit to add:

My bad,I thought you were asking about "rough" not "rocky",however,you might want to check anyhow.There were mods done that altered the doo-dads,and there may atleast be a "quick fix" there.

[ April 26, 2004, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: no_one ]

MBT = full medium or heavy tank, as opposed to light tanks or other AFVs wrongly named "tank" by the media.

A 35 ton vehicle, not to speak of a 50 or 70 ton vehicle on tracks crushes its way through a lot of "terrain noise".

The game is incorrect in slowing down MBTs with about the same factor as lighter tracked vehicle in rocky terrain. As opposed to e.g. soft ground or scattered trees where the slowdown factors are different.

I've always assumed the rocky terrain was hard to spot because it was SUPPOSED to be hard to spot! Part of the fog-of-war stuff in the game, like not being sure a terrain feature is going to be hull-down til after you get there, just like in real life. Sure I've cussed and swore like the rest of you after finding my tank under attack while creeping through unexpected rocky ground. But as the French say, "Se la guerre".

[ April 26, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I've always assumed the rocky terrain was hard to spot because it was SUPPOSED to be hard to spot! Part of the fog-of-war stuff in the game, like not being sure a terrain feature is going to be hull-down til after you get there, just like in real life. Sure I've cussed and swore like the rest of you after finding my tank under attack while creeping through unexpected rocky ground. But as the French say, "Se la guerre".

If it was an emulation of fog of war - "encountering rocks by suprise", then you wouldn't be able to LOS it.

As it is, the game rewards those who run the LOS tool over ever square inch to figure out where the rocky patches are. That is a complete

PITA.

Originally posted by 86smopuim:

load those rock mods, they really help.

Are you sure the BMP numbers are right? I have installed the two mentioned above, but they don't appear in-game :(

Edit: I've looked and the bitmaps that I replaced definitely match what I see when I look at rocky. And they are definintely replaced with the new BMPs. And yet I still see the old look!!??

Edit: I've found the answer: 32130 and 32131 are also rocky doodads: I guess that they are the ones used with arid or something? Can someone confirm/clarify?

Unfortunately, in arid they are _worse_ than the existing doodads: I think this is because they are lighter in colour, and they stand out less in the lightly coloured sand :(

(Another interesting aside: the snow-covered versions - 2530,2531 - appear to be this new rounded rock as distributed on the CD!?)

[ April 27, 2004, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

I spent some time messing around with rocky doodads trying to find a design that would stand out against the bright sand, but still look OK.

I became disillusioned with this quest. Even if the primary goal is achieved, the same doodads are used in rough... and having modified them for rocky, they then look crap in the rough.

Given that there are a bazillion bmps already, I can't help wondering why we couldn't have had just a few more to make the terrains truly unique. This doodad sharing is a shame :(

bmps for north afrika start at 30000, look at the trees and grass doodads in that range of numbers

rocky rough and grasses i believe the game engine takes the bmps/doodads and makes them smaller or bigger for the particular purpose

[ April 27, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: junk2drive ]