Unrivalled resource coming on line.

Hi,

On Monday Keele University, in UK, is putting all 5 million aerial photos taken by UK forces in WWII on line. This is a truly unrivalled resource for scenario ideas and detailed maps. I have had dealing before with this collection and three to four years ago it was like running in chest deep mud. They had just one employ to run the collection. No fault of the single member of staff there.

However, they have got the money from somewhere to put all on the web. What is even better is that next in line for this treatment is the German collection of aerial photos covering Eastern Europe, also held at Keele.

For those with our interests, things do not get any better then this.

I “hope” this is the link,

http://www.evidenceincamera.co.uk

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

On Monday Keele University, in UK, is putting all 5 million aerial photos taken by UK forces in WWII on line.

Holy S***!!! :eek:

What is even better is that next in line for this treatment is the German collection of aerial photos covering Eastern Europe, also held at Keele.
Holy S***!!!!! :eek:

But I repeat myself...

Michael

Hi,

“Will they include North Africa?”

I would be very surprised if NA is not covered. It is “all” the aerial photos taken by the RAF during WWII. “May” even cover Burma… not sure. But an Indian Army/university archive may have that.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. European topographical maps are very easily obtained, and of very high quality. Putting the photos, and maps, together will be child’s play. You can spot new developments easily.

[ January 18, 2004, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: kipanderson ]

There are some hitches as the website needs registration which is flawed - my phone no. wasn't apparently a number :confused:

The site is very slow and it appears there'll be costs attached in accessing the images:(

I've e-mailed them about the registration problem and will ask more when they reply.

I'm sure the site will be great. Currently the site is receiving a high volumn of hits and request we try back later. Sooner or later the idle viewers will move on and we serious wargamers will have the site all to ourselves...except for those pesky historians...LOL