Combat Mission to hit North American Retail!

Battlefront.com and CDV Software Entertainment are proud to announce a cooperation to bring the two Combat Mission titles ("CM1: Beyond Overlord" and "CM2: Barbarossa to Berlin") to North American retail this year. CM1 will be available in May from all major retailers as a "Special Edition" for $29.99 recommended retail price.

The "Special Edition" will feature over 100 additional top-rated scenarios (for a total of 150), improved hi-resolution terrain and environment graphics (including some totally new building textures), vehicles and uniforms mods (including winter mods), and improved sound. The boxed version will come with a fully printed 200+ page game manual, and will be available for PC only.

Later this year in Q4, CM2: Barbarossa to Berlin will become available also in retail, most likely with a similar set of improved features.

The CM1 retail "Special Edition" is equal in gameplay to the current Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (v1.12) sold by Battlefront.com but benefits from new high resolution graphics for vehicles and terrain (many contributed by the CM Mod Community, some adapted from CMBB) and updated sound effects.

The Special Editions will be available only via retail, they will not be sold online.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why no love for the Mac?

:(

Gpig

P.S. Not wanting to sound like a wet blanket, I'll just have to add . . .

This is great news for BFC! smile.gif

(yup, I'm a fanboy alright.)

[ April 22, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Gpig ]

We would love to be able to guys, but as the size all up of these conversions is in the 100's of MB's, we cant offer them as a seperate download. To be honest though we dont mind if purchasers of the newer boxed version wishes to share some of these textures with current CMBO owners as they see fit.

Youve got to remember though that it did take us several weeks work to update CMBO...its not like we waved a magic wand and it was done. smile.gif We arent asking you to rush out and purchase another copy of CMBO, but we do hope you will understand that we cant offer all this hard work as a free download whilst having to pay for 1000's of MB of data transfer smile.gif

Dan

[ April 22, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

OH bugger, now every Joe six pack and johnny lunch pale will be flooding our precious board with hootenanny about how bloody bad the graphics are and how great RTSs are and which cheerleaders on the football team are "hot". Humbug to the masses.

But seriously...I do have issues with retail. Mass marketing means more demand for better graphics and less realism. I am afraid the games of the future will be aimed more at the proles than at the hard core wargamer...which is something I seriously do not want.

[ April 22, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

Hey Kwazydog,

I was wondering, couldn't you guys put the special CMBO package on a cd and we could purchase the "expansion" cd and just install the new BMPs to our exsisting CMBO files?? And one more question, you folks at BFC stated way back on the forum that you guys weren't going to upgrade CMBO, because it wasn't possible, what made it possible??

Oh crap

Kawzydog just disregard the whole stupid post about the "expansion" cd. I thought about it for a minute and figured, s**t if I did buy the stupid cd, I wouldn't like the terrain and other eye candy, and go get more mods to overwrite the exsisting terrain and such, so it would be a waste of money anyway, well sorry bout the wasted posts, next time I'll think about it first, and pop the top on a few more brews before doing a hasty post.

[EDIT: yeah I missed Moon said it is 1.12, forget about the questions. Time to sleep]

Will that CMBO variant be PBEM and TCP compatible with CMBO 1.12?

Are the updated graphics actual 3D models with more textures or just the new textures?

I assume we get all the CDV goodies like partly PDF handbook, safedisk copy protection preventing BFC from being able to generate patches for this version on their own etc?

Did you do something about the MGs? smile.gif

[ April 22, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Redwolf, as Moon stated in the post it features eye and sound candy plus extra scenarios but it's still v1.12 so no, repeat no gameplay changes.

Not even the weenie pop-gun MGs. ;)

Wouldn't mind receiving the list of mods that were used, though I probably stick to my own set, I got my Commonwealth force looking mighty fine. Really should start finishing the D/L-ing of the Jerry mods. Sod the yanks though, only use them to shoot at! ;)

But I especially would like to know the scenarios that are included, because that's what really adds gameplay and man are there some excellent ones out there. Wouldn't want to miss out on any scenarios BFC think worthy of being included.

I sort of understand Fieldmarshall's concerns ... but CMBO and BB have been available 'retail' throughout Europe since they were launched .... Maybe there its just a worry about the American mass market ;)

.....Personally I'm just looking forward to reading the posts when some joystick-twitching, wide-eyed innocent walks into the Peng thread and ask who likes 'battlefront 1942' :D

The Copyright protection will no doubt upset some people ... It wont stop the game being pirated, but it will deter the casual game copier. I have seen comments in the past that the copy protection slows down the loadup of the game. Well I have a UK CDV version and can be at the main menu in 6 secs - by clicking the mouse button when that annoying CDV logo shows up. Or 12 secs if I let the whole thing run its course ...

...hardly a game stopper !

One thing that has not been metioned is will the US CDV version be subject to German censorship restrictions ... like the rest of Europe were :(

I'm glad there was no mention of CDV being involved in the distribution of CMAK. I've learned my lesson there and I'll buy the US version of any future BFC games ... hell I could even beta test the latest patches then :rolleyes:

All that said - it will benefit BFC and anything that helps to fund CMx2 is fine by me :D

I bought CMBO late last here in Ireland. It was boxed as in the good old days and it included a second cd with allot of mods on it.

Will this be the same version that will be released in the US or will it be an improved CMBO?

If so would it be available here in Europe?

Regards

Gian

Gian, no it's not the exact same version, although some of the mods from that Bonus CD are included as well. This is a 1 CD product released in the US. I don't think it will come to Europe to be honest, though of course you will be able to order it online from a US webstore, I'm sure. Someone posted a link to EB's online store recently who are listing CMBO-SE for pre-order.

Also, to add what Kwazy said - most of the mods in the US retail version are available for download from various fansites, including CMHQ. Some stuff is new, like the terrain graphics (some converted from CMBB, some new), and those will end up for download sooner or later, I'm sure.

Redwolf - no, it's a fully printed game manual.

Easytarget - right on target smile.gif

Fieldmarshall - way off target smile.gif

Rob Murray - in fact the retail Special Edition is aimed at attracting those people who don't already own CMBO. Those 4 or 5 people, that is smile.gif

Sir Augustus - no, we've been planning this for some time already.

Gpig - no Mac version because of the known OS X issues.

Did I miss any question?

Martin

Did I miss any question?

Errr, well actually yes ..............

Will the US CDV version be subject to German censorship restrictions....
These were imposed on the CDV distribution in Europe to conform with German laws. Will those restrictions make a trans-atlantic trip to the US.

I only ask because I plan on ordering a second copy of CMBB when that goes 'US Retail'... just in case my current one get damaged - I dont tend to see it in UK stores much these days :( so in another 6-12 months it may be hard to get a copy.

Obviously if I can get a non-censored version I'd rather do that, though I realise there is no difference to gameplay and most of the censorship issues are really rather minor and there is a work around for most ....

but 'WG' does get on my nerves sometimes :mad:

I'm not trying to open up the censorship debate again :rolleyes: ... That's been done to death.

Just wanted to know if its worth waiting - or just get a UK local version.

[ April 23, 2003, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]