Combat Mission to hit North American Retail!

I must admit all the hubub that's resulted from BFC announcing that good-old CMBO's going to hit the shelves is kind'a amusing. I wonder if the Tombraider website had such commotion when they decided to sell their 'gold pack' on Walmart shelves! ;)

My take on the store release is after 3 years BFC was probably seeing a diminishing return on good old CMBO websales, and they figured the diminished profits of shifting to store sales would be more than compensated for by increased brand recognition - which would mean further profits down the road. So think of CMBO on store shelves as a 'promotional item' to get people interested in CMBB and CMAK.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't see a problem with dressing up CMBO and selling it retail here in the U.S. If BFC makes a bit more money for their hard work, and introduces some more noobs for me to trounce then I'm happy. The other thing all you junior economists fail to realize is that some of the capital made by the re-release of CMBO will be used to make future products better and maybe with shorter lead times. :D

Congrats guys. I figured this would happen as soon as a Publisher made a reasonable offer... ;) I think your strategy for this is solid. Upgrading graphics and adding more scenarios at the current same online price is a good value. Seperating the two games and their release is also wise. Amazing what kind of leverage you have when you take some risks and create outstanding products!

To those worried about BFC selling out... you are obviously blind or never read any comments from any of the BFC guys.

I do have a question. Since you are releasing this updated Retail version of CMBO, what will you sell online? Online version at cheaper price or retail version at same price?

I am happy to a degree that BFC will be offering CMBO retail as there are people who will not buy anything over the net, especially from a company they don't know. It will also be nice to see some new posts on the CMBO forum :D !

I do have a few concerns, the first is that I have absolutely no interest in buying anything from CDV with their copy protection schemes and delayed iterations of updates. If this means that CDV or some other company will be the only way for me to get new CM products, I will likely not be buying anymore of them (unless of course you can convince Aspyr to do a OSX compatible port of CMBO/CMBB/CMAK).

Contrary to our now departed friend (not) I think CMBO is still a great game, different from CMBB, but a great game all the same. I think that anyone interested in the genre will enjoy it and maybe it will even convince someone that is nort particularly interested to join the fray.

I took a chance a long time ago on a company I found on the web that offered a Mac compatible western front wargame. It was expensive and the initial information and graphics were a bit sketchy, but I was convinced and bought it. CMBO is the best investment I have ever made in an entertainment product (alright second best, my '69 850 Sport Coupe was better but not by much). I believe in the products and the business practices I have seen displayed countless times here by all of the BFC team.

BFC is a personal company (in my lucid moments I can even name all of the people who work there), and provide personal service that may be a bit flawed but is clearly prefereable to what I have observed at many of the other software providers. Although I have not had the pleasure to deal with CDV, my impression is CDV quite the opposite and I don't like it. It is not how I would want BFC to be represented in the US market.

I truly hope this works out well and that my hand wringing is for naught. Although I have paid more for my CM software than I ever would choose to pay for something I found on the shelf, I hope I continue to have the opportunity to buy Mac compatible wargames from a personal company that I respect and value, directly and without insufferable copyright schemes.

[ April 25, 2003, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: kmead ]

I'm hoping some buyer of the retail version of CMBO makes available the new enhancements to us loyal customers who have played for years. As for the later retail version of CMBB, for Canadian customers, it's likely that that it will be quite a bit cheaper to purchase CMBB from the retail store rather than through BFC. It would be nice to know what the pricing plans are for purchasing CMBB from the BFC website considering the upcoming plans to sell it in the stores.