CMBB on a 42" Plasma Screen

This is one of the first times I have posted, but I wanted to pass this on. I was needing a new computer (had a Pentium III 333Mhz) and ended up buying Gateway's Media Center package that comes with a 42" Plasma screen. I mounted the screen on the wall behind my desk. It doubles as both my computer screen and TV because it has a built in TV tuner.

Well, to say the least, playing computer games on it brings them to another level. Playing CMBB on it is AWESOME! :eek: What I typically do is during the turns I settled down the view to ground level and next to a tank firing on a target in the distance. Or I move with the infantry as they assault through their objectives. Sometimes I feel like I am sneaking a peek over a foxhole with 10 T-34's barrelling down on the position. With the surround sound and the lights off, you literally get the feeling you are right there watching (almost participating) in the battle with the big screen. The awesome graphics and the MODS that enhance it really put this game into a class by itself.

Granted this is a pretty high end system and I know it is not for everyone, but Wow! this game looks good. Hats off to the the designers. First game that takes me back to when I was in the Marines training with my platoon.

P.S. I also play IL2FB and it too makes you feel like you are right there in the cockpit.

von Nev

von Nev, I am jealous.

This post reminds me of a description that was posted of a CMBB pre-release get together, before the game came out. The host managed to hook up a projector to his PC and the participants played the Beta game projected really big on his livingroom wall. Talk about total emersion!

I see you're a junior member. Now for true emersion you've got to start downloading 3rd party mods for your new game, get the thing looking as close to photo-realistic as possible!

...and what's your address and when is the next time you will be on an extended family vacation?

Oh, I almost forgot. What is the security code again to the house? You told me and I forgot to write it down. My bad, but you know my memory.

PS. What is the combo to the wall safe in the bedroom? Might as well make a complete job of this.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

von Nev, I am jealous.

This post reminds me of a description that was posted of a CMBB pre-release get together, before the game came out. The host managed to hook up a projector to his PC and the participants played the Beta game projected really big on his livingroom wall. Talk about total emersion!

I see you're a junior member. Now for true emersion you've got to start downloading 3rd party mods for your new game, get the thing looking as close to photo-realistic as possible!

That was Gary Kump.

Now we have another one to think about, and say......"Damn you".......

1600 Pennslyvania Ave. On the security stuff, those pesky secret service do all that.

No millionairre here, just a millionairre want-a-be. The commanding general at home (read spouse) bought off when we got 12 months same as cash financing (read no payments no interest for 12 months) and the fact that it doubles as a TV and DVD player made the cost easier to stomach. We also have been saving up for something like this for some time. Also, no kids. Just two spoiled dogs.

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I'd never leave the damn house.

(Not that I do now, but still...)

Not because of the CMBB, of course. Boo is more interested in viewing GRRLZ-N-HORSES animal pron in 42" glory.

There, I said it -- his secret is out.

Prevert.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I'd never leave the damn house.

(Not that I do now, but still...)

Not because of the CMBB, of course. Boo is more interested in viewing GRRLZ-N-HORSES animal pron in 42" glory.

Steve </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

von Nev, I am jealous.

I was going to mention this too. I still compare playing CM on my 22" monitor to that day playing it on the wall, and I am simply not satisfied. At one point I was thinking about getting a projector just to play computer games, but I couldn't justify the expense. I'll probably get a large LCD or plasma screen one day, but not until the HDTV versions cost much less than they do now. I'm not spending $10,000 for a TV. The monitor that gateway sells is EDTV ready and costs a heck of a lot less, but I am sure it kicks ass.

Well I was one of the folks who hosted the Beta of BB and had the projector. I will tell you, it was AWESOME!

I haven't had the opportunity to play it "on the wall" since then, but one day....maybe when CMAK comes out, I will drag the projector home again.

:D

I have the previous version of Gateway's attempt at this type of system which was the Destination.

It was wireless with a big (178 lbs) 36" monitor. The main system is getting obsolete, but I am planning on building an updated system that will make use of the monitor. The maximum resolution of the monitor is only 800x600 which is usually OK at normal viewing distance.

It does make for a completely different experience to play CMBB on the big screen. The plasma flat screen yells "Here is the Future!" to me.

This being said, I would be very leary of buying another system like this from Gateway, mostly due to the mediocre components. I checked out the Gateway site and the video card is a GeForce 4 MMX 128 MB. As the system ages, I found it difficult to upgrade without losing capabilities.

While it is new though, I am sure this is the most-ut.

BDH

[ June 16, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: barrold713 ]