Withdraw.

I tend to use the advance or assault command for getting units out of immediate fighting situations (assault works nicely for me, as the unit gets a morale boost).

I got the impression that the withdraw order always results in a morale drop, it appears more like a 'panic' command therefore I rarely use it, only if a unit would otherwise be totally annihilated and there's nothing to lose.

Withdraw has the advantage that the troops given that command don't have a command delay.

It has the drawback that they take a morale hit, and unless of very high quality will panic (or worse). If high quality, the command delay is likely to be short anyway.

It is really only useful when you need to move the units, RIGHT NOW (for example, if artillery is just starting to fall) and you won't need them to fight very soon. They will need time to recover from the withdrawal.

Like most of the commands, it has its uses, but the precise circumstances can be a bit limited where it really helps you.

It's useless in CMBB and CMAK unless what you try controlling has more than one or two minutes of delay for other orders.

In CMBB and CMAK the probabilty of panicing seems to be hardcoded to 50%, for each unit individually. Unless you really just want to cross a tiny bit of open space before cover you will never extract a satisfying amount of men.

It's just a panic command in my eyes, I rarely, rarely rarely use it. It's the most rarely used command in my CM aresenal because its uses are very little. I mostly use it for crews, but sometimes if I need troops to immediately escape LOS of something. like a 150mm gun, for example, which would do much more damage the next turn when it actually lands a round on my men. Its best to take the panic and morale drop than lose most of your platoon.

I use it when I've got folks in cover in front of trenches or reverse sloped defenders. They can spot and, if they get spotted, withdraw to the trench (where the HQ unit is). There is a morale hit, but if they are vet troops they usually won't drop to panic level. They can recover in about a minute if the HQ has a morale bonus (less if it's the double bonus). Two if it doesn't. I think where they withdraw to may have an impact. When they withdraw to a fortification like a trench they seem to regroup faster.

Definitely a last resort command. It has saved several of my units that would have taken a major thrashing by artillery or armor. Try to make the withdrawal through concealment and cover and the destination likewise, if at all possible.

I've been playing with the Withdraw command more lately.

Withdrawing through cover (scattered trees and up), within C&C, is not so bad, even under fire.

Well, not HEAVY fire, at least. Any of my units under HEAVY fire tend to be screwed no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

what you do-if circumstances allow-is PREDICT a strong enemy charge, and than withdraw to cover,perhaps better cover,breaking line of sight ready for a counter charge.that way you can suck opposition forward into a hastily or well prepared trap(or none at all).ive only just started playing cmbo,and usually only play quick battles as germans(they usually don t need to withdraw),but whenever i do withdraw i do it like that.

"Withdraw" is the equivalent of your platoon sergeant yelling "Withdraw! Ruun!". Therefore there is no command delay penalty, and you can move real quick.

The increased chance for a unit panicking simulates all sorts of things, not only panic as such (although panic is included as one of the reasons). For example, units might get confused of where they should run to. Or simply not hear the order. A rushed withdrawal is always very confusing and hectic, and can even lead to a rout easily enough; but at the very least, it means that it will take time to reorganizie your units afterwards before they are again able to fight back effectively.

Withdrawal is certainly by default an order you don't WANT to use too often smile.gif But it can be very useful in certain situations. Being in close contact with an enemy who shoots at you is NOT one of those situations. But being hit with an accurate spotting round (and fearing the impact of the real thing soon), or an enemy tank sound contact while one of your platoons is crossing open ground and needs to get back into cover NOW, are some good examples.

Martin

Originally posted by redwolf:

It's useless in CMBB and CMAK unless what you try controlling has more than one or two minutes of delay for other orders.

In CMBB and CMAK the probabilty of panicing seems to be hardcoded to 50%, for each unit individually. Unless you really just want to cross a tiny bit of open space before cover you will never extract a satisfying amount of men.

Rookie! :D

Withdraw is very useful. What Moon said.

One other thing to consider. If you're going to pull your infantry back, it's typically best if you prepare ahead of time. i.e., you ambush enemy infantry and fallback the turn after. This is best done by giving your forward infantry movement orders to "sneak" or "fast" move back at 61 seconds . . .so that they are ready to pull back instantly, simulating the instant withdraw the very 1st second of the turn after. If the enemy doesn't trip your ambush just reset the 61 second movement order every turn until he does.

Withdraw becomes very valuable when that ambushing infantry of yours get's "pinned" in place, and can't fallback. That is when you cancel your movement orders and give them "withdraw" commands. If they are pinned in place, the enemy can move in and kill your infantry. Withdraw will almost certainly "panic" you boys under fire, who will run back, even under fire, saved to fight another day if you prepare correctly and have contingency time for them to rally.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

If they are pinned in place, the enemy can move in and kill your infantry. Withdraw will almost certainly "panic" you boys under fire, who will run back, even under fire, saved to fight another day if you prepare correctly and have contingency time for them to rally.

The enemy will waste lots of ammo to kill your pinned troops in decent cover. If they run, they are much better targets and will probably die as well :D .

If you need the "withdraw" command something went wrong. The reverse does not hold - or "withdraw" would be the most used command.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Joachim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

If they are pinned in place, the enemy can move in and kill your infantry. Withdraw will almost certainly "panic" you boys under fire, who will run back, even under fire, saved to fight another day if you prepare correctly and have contingency time for them to rally.

The enemy will waste lots of ammo to kill your pinned troops in decent cover. If they run, they are much better targets and will probably die as well :D .

If you need the "withdraw" command something went wrong. The reverse does not hold - or "withdraw" would be the most used command.

Gruß

Joachim </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

One other thing to consider. If you're going to pull your infantry back, it's typically best if you prepare ahead of time. i.e., you ambush enemy infantry and fallback the turn after. This is best done by giving your forward infantry movement orders to "sneak" or "fast" move back at 61 seconds . . .so that they are ready to pull back instantly, simulating the instant withdraw the very 1st second of the turn after. If the enemy doesn't trip your ambush just reset the 61 second movement order every turn until he does.

Withdraw becomes very valuable when that ambushing infantry of yours get's "pinned" in place, and can't fallback. That is when you cancel your movement orders and give them "withdraw" commands. If they are pinned in place, the enemy can move in and kill your infantry. Withdraw will almost certainly "panic" you boys under fire, who will run back, even under fire, saved to fight another day if you prepare correctly and have contingency time for them to rally. </font>

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

Withdraw becomes very valuable when that ambushing infantry of yours get's "pinned" in place, and can't fallback. That is when you cancel your movement orders and give them "withdraw" commands. If they are pinned in place, the enemy can move in and kill your infantry. Withdraw will almost certainly "panic" you boys under fire, who will run back, even under fire, saved to fight another day if you prepare correctly and have contingency time for them to rally. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joachim:

Gruß

Joachim </font>

best use i have found is in operations. getting them to panic to the rear, then the next battle you still have them.

i have tried advance, assault, and withdraw and combined with a sneak. never consistant results. it may be a dice roll calculation. mostly i use these when i think they are going to die or be captured anyway.