Trees on or off?

I've wondered about this for a while, because I realized that I play CM with the trees off 95% of the time- the only time they're on is occasionally in turn playback.

Otherwise, they're off. I find it extremely difficult to assemble a coherent tactical picture with trees everywhere smile.gif I was just wondering if I'm alone in doing it that way.

By default I keep them off, but I periodically turn them on just to check some LOS issues. If I kept them on all the time, I simply couldn't find my men any more (I tend to play on maps with lotsa trees) plus the FPS would drop to half (my vid card is old).

[ July 09, 2004, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Since I have a poorer graphics card (and it's a Radeon, I might add), I usually use minimum coverage, since trees eat major FPS.

And I don't think it's a realism issue, as the LOS of your your troops (which is what you're supposed to see of the field anyway) will stay the same, no matter what the tree density setting is.

I have the unit bases on al the time, so i can spot the units quit easily. But i feel i have to play with trees on, mostly on full coverage, because if thats what the scape looks like i wouldnt want to not see them.

Also having the units in that coverage makes them feel much safer when i try to close up on the enemy;)

Trees On Extreme Coverage - Turn the bases on when looking for units. Except when units are tightly packed together. Also Weather on Extreme, Sound + Ambient, and High Res Smoke, Terrain Extreme, Camera Shake On, building shawdows on, 3 men squads, and usually scale is +1 except when I get down low to watch some interesting stuff in a movie then realistic

Low res smoke and I would play a different game... NOT :D

That is all...

WASTE ?! WHADDYA MEAN - WASTE ;) By the gods, if that isn't quality time, I don't know what is...

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Impudent Warwick:

I waste WAY too much time playing movies over and over from different camera angles, and I'm a sucker for those cinematic "peering out between the branches" shots.

I am sure you're not the only one smile.gif

CM is the greatest VCR ever ! </font>

To me it's a sign of good interface design that it includes enough display options to allow folks to find what makes them happy.

As I said originally, I just can't figure out what the heck is going on with the trees there. Then again I have a tendency to play big battles, where things are already confusing enough.

Fredrock mentioned some other important display things. I always have my units on realistic scale; again, I find it confusing to my distance calculations if I increase the unit size. I do sometimes toggle through the bigger sizes, but that is mostly to make sure that I've seen all the little balkankreuzes or red stars that indicate bad guys.

What else do I do? I always toggle warnings on and off each turn to make sure I'm not missing anything wrt to the status of my units, and I always have all target lines and all movement paths on.

As for unit bases, always on when giving orders and making plans, off for close-up war movies, usually back on for some "big picture" playbacks of the turns.

Trees off 99% of the time. I find it easier to check the LOS with them off, even when doing a quick visual from view one. Having them off also greatly reduces lag on my computer.

I just wish BFC would have modeled the trees more realistically. Tracing an LOS through eighty feet of woods in the summer is pretty lame.

I turn the trees off to issue orders and show all arcs and order lines. Then turn them on again to watch the action. Just does not look right without them. Some nice modded ones around as well.

But did not realise the were a hit on the frame rates. I may try turning them off on some of the scenarios / operations that go too slow to play.

And as mentioned above, semi transperant trees would be a nice touch in the next release.

I think that trees as such are basically not too problematic. However, if there is wind and branches start moving then one can definitely notice the impact on resources.

What I find strange is the heavy drain noticeable when I play on 'massive damage' maps. After all, craters aren't moving.

Originally posted by Sanok:

Trees off 99% of the time. I find it easier to check the LOS with them off, even when doing a quick visual from view one. Having them off also greatly reduces lag on my computer.

I just wish BFC would have modeled the trees more realistically. Tracing an LOS through eighty feet of woods in the summer is pretty lame.

BFC actually model the trees in 3D. try seeing the same trees from a hill above & the LOS drops significantly as it has to go through foliage.

cool eh?

Trees by themselves are a big frame-rate hit, at least on lower-end systems. Ground doodads aren't too bad (but I don't like them much), and smoke is a big hit.

I'm playtesting one of my scenarios with a partner, just had two 81mm observers and a 120mm observer drop smoke for a multiple-company river crossing, and although it's pretty, frame rate went to slide-show time.