Peng, The Musical Challenge

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies to...well, none of you, for the most part.

After discovering that my new computer (or rather, it's specific video card installation) would not play CM, I fell into a decline. Then I snapped back, but pointlessly so, because I haven't been home long enough over the last two days to even get online.

I am exploring a possible fix. It may work.

All this would be unneccassry, of course, if BFC would market their own line of CM Branded video cards for Macintosh and PCs.

Originally posted by Croda:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

Some days I miss Meeks.

yet you don't miss me?

I'm aghast.

I'm ajar.

I'm aloof.

You're afarkingmoron.

Meeks, the biggest poser to ever sit foot in this Pool of Cess (after Hiram, Andreas, and that bastage Hamsters) </font>

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Croda:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

Some days I miss Meeks.

yet you don't miss me?

I'm aghast.

I'm ajar.

I'm aloof.

You're afarkingmoron.

Meeks, the biggest poser to ever sit foot in this Pool of Cess (after Hiram, Andreas, and that bastage Hamsters) </font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Apologies to...well, none of you, for the most part.

After discovering that my new computer (or rather, it's specific video card installation) would not play CM, I fell into a decline. Then I snapped back, but pointlessly so, because I haven't been home long enough over the last two days to even get online.

All this would be unneccassry, of course, if BFC would market their own line of CM Branded video cards for Macintosh and PCs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You have a Mac.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway Seanachai, because of your continual and undeniable attempts to pull yourself up out of the depths of insignificance by your own scrotal hairs, I am going to send you something.

No, it's not money. It's something more valuable than money.

It's a card. A special card. One of the most special cards I've ever had. I've cherished this one for years, but I've decided that YOU are a worthy recipient.

And I'm going to start a tradition. I charge you with sending the card on in turn. Maybe after a month. Maybe after a year. Maybe you will never find someone worthy of the card.

Regardless, enjoy the card.

Originally posted by Leeo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Is that because of the obtuse slope of your head or because the bodily filth you wallow in on a daily basis has formed a protective carapace of dried ordure over your entire body?

Or all of the above?

No, no, no, you unreasoning man-ape. My propensity to become bulletproof is directly proportional to the amount of Malt Liquor consumed.</font>

Dear Festerin' Git,

Read yer feckin' email, ye lumpy-haided spontaneous under-table jumpin' bastarrrd.

Dalem, ye sack o' horse testicles, saind mae a setoop fer bollocksing oop tha last gam bah oopdating at whain Ah'd alraidy plotted a turrrn. An' noo tae big...yer knoo Ah'm delicate.

SirMacOberGruppenBloodyStompinSicFeuhrerBastardABCDJimmy

Originally posted by Marlow:

Holy Crap, what is this? Reunion week? Meeks. Croda, and Geier. Signs of the coming of the end for sure.

They have all come forward in this, my hour of need.

And their prayers and positive vibes have been answered.

I can once again play Combat Mission.

A computer savvy but non-techy friend who I was endlessly discussing the situation with suddenly said: It's too bad you can't just swap your old video card into your new machine.

My instinctive response was: Well, no, you can't do that. But after some thought, I realize, hell, yes, you should be able to. And not even really at the expense of the new, much more capable video card.

The new card is in an AGP slot, sitting next to three open PCI slots. The old card is a PCI card. I could technically install both, and run whichever I needed for games/graphics performance issues simply by swapping the monitor cable between the two cards.

The only issue was the fact that the card was a 66mghtz card, and the open slots were 33mghtz slots, but after doing a little research the answer was that the card would simply downsample to the slower speed. I might not notice the performance boost of having a faster slot for the card, but that should be at least somewhat off-set by the overall improvement in system speed on the new machine. And if there were issues, I could always turn off some graphics elements and such.

So I put the old card into the box, and it boots up fine and plays CM just as it ever did. Mind, if I want to see all the glories of the fast video card, or use it for games that won't run on an old ATI Rage 128 with 16 megs of ram, I need to swap the cable over, but I can easily live with that minor inconvenience.

So what does this all mean to you brutish, low fellows?

Simply this.

I'm baaaack.

Oh, and I love you all in a manly, lip-quivering, staring-straight-ahead-with-a-distant-expression-sort-of way-while-you-discuss-'the lads' that you sometimes see in war movies involving British officers.

Not in a 'bath house, nightclub, hanging around bus station men's rooms' sort of way.

The other way. Think 'Biggles, Ginger and Bertie'...

You know, it still doesn't sound right.

I simply hate you all. More than I can ever express, you big pile of soppy bunnies.

[ August 28, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

I simply hate you all. More than I can ever express, you big pile of soppy bunnies.

Uhh, does this mean we have to "dig your big thick mustache"?

p.s. it took you three days to have someone else think of using the old video card? Oh, I can't even laugh. Oh wait, yes I can.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Uhh, does this mean we have to "dig your big thick mustache"?

p.s. it took you three days to have someone else think of using the old video card? Oh, I can't even laugh. Oh wait, yes I can. </font>

p.s. it took you three days to have someone else think of using the old video card? Oh, I can't even laugh. Oh wait, yes I can.

Well, seriously, would your first thought be 'gee, I'll just pull out my old, ailing, seriously under-powered for today's games video card that uses a different bus technology and swap it into my brand new high-powered computer?'

No it would not.

I figured the damn thing wouldn't even work with the current hardware architecture, but the more I looked into it, the more I realized there shouldn't be an issue.

Not to mention that my techie instinct was not to consider jettisoning my fast 64 meg, AGP based video card so as to put in a completely obsolete, 16 meg PCI based card. But once I realized they could co-exist (rather like my own, progressively minded self and low rent neo-Cons like you, who can at least agree that 'beer tastes good' and 'Combat Mission is good', and 'girls are pretty') in the same box, with only the annoyance of doing a single cable swap sometimes depending on what performance I needed from the graphic system, I was home free.

You know, maybe the next outing of the Minnesota Miscreants (by which I mean a day spent in amusing pursuits, and not a repeat of that incident in which we told everyone at Fletcher's that Lars was 'actually deeply, deeply gay') should be to journey out to the Minnesota Rennaissance Festival. They sell a great deal of wine and beer at the Ren Fest, and if the weather is nice, it's an amazing people watching experience.

Unlike the State Fair, which is primarily an exercise in wondering 'not that I don't appreciate it, but what rock do all you people hide under for the other 355 days a year when the Fair isn't on?'

Well, seriously, would your first thought be 'gee, I'll just pull out my old, ailing, seriously under-powered for today's games video card that uses a different bus technology and swap it into my brand new high-powered computer?'

No it would not.

Of course it would, silly gnome. Well, my first thought would be to reboot and reseat.

But I used to troubleshoot for a living. Luckily I taught smart friends to like computers and now they are ten times more skilled than I ever was and I can just point at the hard stuff and bleat "You Fix Now!" and they bend to it with a will.

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Seanachai ... the "lads" you refer to ... they're the ones who all die in a MG burst aren't they. You know, the whiny little Yorkshirman who no one likes but who is secretly sending money to the Mum of one of his mates, the stawart upper class chap who entered straight from Cambridge and is a certainty to win the rugby match on Saturday against Brigade, the fiesty Irishman with a heart of gold who's always on about County Down and his bog, the Scot who really SHOULD be in Black Watch but has a dark secret that he's hiding and the batman ... not to mention Robin ... they all die don't they.

sniffle That's them, of course.

You're all like that to me. Damned Machine Gun. Not that it's not a beautiful piece of ordnance, of course. In fact, it's hard to curse a weapon of that caliber, as it were. Very efficient.

Still, they were my 'mates', you see...

Alright, am I the only one having a hard time sliding past the rampant homoeroticism of most British wartime terminology and appearances?

Are the Brits just that much more comfortable with all their 'buddy' stuff, or is war just an excuse for all of them to flee their women and let it all hang out under the imminent threat of death?

Harrrr! Who's for a manly stint at sea with a manly company of manly men being men all together, eh?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

I'm thinking we should all join the Kampfgruppe Clan ... en masse as it were ... AS PIRATES! Haaarrrrr!

Joe

Maybe so, maybe so. What is this 'Kampfgruppe Clan'?

And we would, of course, join as PYRATES!

Aaarrrrr! </font>

Dear Peasants,

Game updates that nobody cares about:

Berli-I don't envy him trying to cross the Alps in the strangest looking map I may have ever seen. A must play just to see what it looks like. He is getting picked off one man a time.

Peng- Makes Hiram look like he turns files around quickly.

Hiram - Makes Pend look bad. I can't even remember what our map looks like let alone remember how badly I am smokin this bandwagon jumper.

Ms. Sedai - Gamily taking the unique tactic of not sending turns in an effort to win. Lost on her is the fact that you must complete a game to win a game.

Nobo - At least this guy sends a turn every now and then. Has spent most of the game hiding. My guess is that he figures if doesn't lose much he can pull off a draw. Unlikely my friend.

Andreas/Germanboy - Poor bastard. I have just sucked him into a trap from which he cannot escape. Sorry old friend...checkmate. (I just made all the stuff up about Andreas...We are pretty much looking like a draw in the first battle of an operation.)

Love,

Elvis

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Wait a minute... croda... sounds familiar...

Weren't you Hiram's love muffin at one point?

Who can forget their 'Vacation on Fire Island' Blog?

A bit too graphic for anyone who's never been arrested for soliciting, but still a rousing good tale of that special bond that some non-British men can find outside wartime.

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Kampfgruppe Clan Thread

And quite right of course, PYRATES it would HAVE to be.

Joe

Joe, you know I can't resist posting to places like that.

I've volunteered us all to join up as Pyrates!

Bugger was a bit stuffy about the whole 'who meets the standards of Clandom', wasn't he?

I mean, you could almost hear the K in 'clan'.