A worthy PBEM opponent - a post of honor.

Goes by the name of Sublime around here. I wasn't to happy about the setup (I think it favors the defender), but did not say anything until I started to get chewed up. He would have been perfectly right to finish the game and declare it a victory. Instead he grants a rematch and less crazy setup conditions.

Most honorable behaviour, and I can only commend him for that.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Goes by the name of Sublime around here. I wasn't to happy about the setup (I think it favors the defender), but did not say anything until I started to get chewed up. He would have been perfectly right to finish the game and declare it a victory. Instead he grants a rematch and less crazy setup conditions.

Sublime has become one of my most cherished PBEM partners also (I think, not sure if that is his forum name, sounds right, though)

He is fast and good humored, but now that I think about it, he owes me a turn in a scenario which he is absolutly waxing me in. the Kalach scenario from the Stalingrad Pack. I made the mistake of taking the Russians and thinking it would be somewhat of a cakewalk...

night fighting sucks.

Cheers to Sublime!

smile.gif

Once The Proving Grounds comes back online (new URL: http://www.the-proving-grounds.com - not available yet, don't click) it will have a feature to rate opponents. Something akin to the favorable/not favorable reviews on ebay.

I'll post a relaunch date as details come available, I'm looking at early next week to get the opponent finder portion of the site (on the new domain) back up.

(Ignore my sig, I need to update it as well - no, not the fat, drunk and stupid part :D )

Ted and Moriarty are two excellent opponents. Both are devious manhooverist bastiches, but true gentlemen nonetheless :D

The Capt. ,MrSpkr , R_Leete , and all of the gamey bastiches I have met in all of the ROW tourneys are great too tongue.gif

[ April 25, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: THumpre ]

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

dALEM is a rapscallion and an infected scab on the anus of the vilest pbem opponent of all time! I'll not have his villainous behavior honored here!

What do you mean? dalem's fine as a PBEM opponent.

He loses just like you do.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Dave H, Mike_the_wino.

Mad, bad and dangerous to know. Oh, and Soddball, casting down scenarios from on high.

Jas :mad: n

I'm blushing! Thanks Axe, I will add your name to this list as well. If any of you people want to play a cheating, good for nothing, no-turn-sending PBEM loser, then don't ask Axe. :D

If on the other hand you want to play a Canadian gentleman who always promptly returns moves and carries on a conversation with wit and good humor, Axe is your opponent. Of course, he will also cut your heart out in a second without batting an eye, but we all have our little foibles. :D

I'll second Mike the wino as well. If we could just keep him away from the merchandise, and out of Las Vegas. ;) Anybody who is routinely knocking out panzers at 1,000 meters with plain old T-34s is a dangerous opponent.

I played Veteran Gamer/Headshot/Poor Old Spike several times before he went exclusively to the ladders. He's a very tough opponent and I'll bet anybody here that he will get turns back faster than you will.

Cheers to RS Colonel and V. You both are great PBEM opponents I cherish and am glad to have met.

The scenario in question with RS i think has been slightly exagerrated, It was no big deal to do a rematch, after all we all are playing for fun, and I am dueling him for a sig line ;)

To throw in the name of another great PBEM opponent, Lt Bull and his brainless fascist hordes have proven extremely capable opponents, with piss in your pants laughing quality jokes, and great turnarounds. Anyways cheers to the 3 I mentioned - We toast your coming deaths!

And cheers for BTS and the CM community in general.

Since this has turned into a giant hippy love-fest of game mired in the past I shall salute those opponents I admire either for the speedy exchange of files or the witty banter back and forth.

Listed in somewhat of an order:

Becket

Dave H

Tanklord

lenakonrad

Axe2121

Too bad Becket is busy IRL and lenakonrad has taken to the General Forum like a moth to light.

*sigh*

The rest of you magg...er, my opponents, must try harder.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

dALEM is a rapscallion and an infected scab on the anus of the vilest pbem opponent of all time! I'll not have his villainous behavior honored here!

Oh yeah, some stalwart dude named Jason B. has provided steady PBEM play as well... </font>

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Goes by the name of Sublime around here.....

RSColonel_131st,

Please do not be fooled by that cretin peasant Sublime. I know him well enough. I'm sure what you consider "honorable behaviour" is really just a part of some greater scheme to trick you into thinking he is a decent human being worthy of some kind of human-to-human repect. I would give a rabid 3 legged sewer rat more respect. Really, he is a terrible, wicked, debased and twisted soul whose main goal is to spread disease, suffering and filth to all those who he meets. Be sure to keep a good distance from his propaganda. Word has it that he has actually employed the former Iraqi Information Minister to help him with his propganda war.

Lt Bull

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Goes by the name of Sublime around here.....

RSColonel_131st,

Please do not be fooled by that cretin peasant Sublime. I know him well enough. I'm sure what you consider "honorable behaviour" is really just a part of some greater scheme to trick you into thinking he is a decent human being worthy of some kind of human-to-human repect. I would give a rabid 3 legged sewer rat more respect. Really, he is a terrible, wicked, debased and twisted soul whose main goal is to spread disease, suffering and filth to all those who he meets. Be sure to keep a good distance from his propaganda. Word has it that he has actually employed the former Iraqi Information Minister to help him with his propganda war.

Lt Bull </font>

Nice idea, this 'worthy opponent'-thread.

The nomination goes to... *roll of drums*

Dirtweasle!

As he already mentioned we're playing PBEMs now for almost 2 years and I have to say he's (almost) the perfect PBEM mate.

He's a cunning tactician and a great chap. His only shortcoming is his habit of ambushing and killing my troops and therefore spoiling my perfect plans all the time.

Other than that playing him is pure pleasure.

I must thank Agua for his kind comments. He too is a gentleman of the game, it has to be said. Along with Mikko, who I must also mention. Both these guys are gents. They are fair, entertaining, very clever tactically and like to chat - it can be a bit dull, when you don't get so much as a grunt out of your opponent!

Good idea this, to sort the chaff from the wheat!

Ribster

hmmm,I was waiting for my name to show up............(switching off cool arrogance mode :D )

Thanks gyrene,you were a worthy opponent though.

During the summer months I have more time to play games again,so in that period i probabaly will start pbem's again.

Coming months are to busy.

besides,Michael,I have invited you several times to do a pbem.

Players i like to name are:

treeburst155(why did you leave??)

deerslayer

jaws

eric martucci

juju

and off course all others I forget to mention,who offered me fair and exciting and very learnfull pbembattles.

Tsktsktsk...where do I have my head these days?

Almost forgot my German compatriots! ;)

Lindan, Warphead and Andreas. Besides them being gamey Beta-testers they're great opponents, it's always challenging and fun to play them.

BTW where's my turn, Oli?

[ April 25, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Having not had too many fights under my belt I cannot recommend too many people, but my long-term PBEM/TCP-associate Steve aka Ribster is a character that deserves mention. He's a nice bloke, very easy to get along with and trustworthy as an opponent. I do have a feeling that he more often than not has the upper hand in fights between us, but it matters not. I'd rather play him and lose than beat some other guy hands down ! smile.gif

Cheers, Steve !