What kind of general are YOU?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got George Washington, not bad company huh?

Did you see the link there to firsthand accounts of the revelutionary war? They have some excerpts from the Diary of Ebenezer Denny. Very interesting. At one point he says they marched to within 60 yards of the British before opening fire. Very interesting read.

The Duke of Wellington, though I was not particularly pleased with some of the choices given. There are ways to plan an assault in the midst of your troops. Let them see you, and give them direct commands in preparation for the battle. Hard to explain...read the Druss novels by David Gemmell...now thats a warrior and a leader. :cool:

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

General Pershing, it figures.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think you look sexy in Jodpuhrs?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lt Bull:

Teddy Roosevelt...I wouldn't have thought that he had done enough to actually have been listed in that survey

Lt Bull<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they included anyone who was an American in there, no matter how skillful of a general he really was. I guess they were hard pressed with deciding who to include.

Quiz writer 1: Well, we're short a few spaces. We have two choices. One is to include the guy who absolutely butchered the Brits in the desert for a year or two, the guy who was responcible for destroying 85% of the German army, and the guy who invaded that other guy's country in the first place with such succes.

For the second choice, we have a toilet bowl cleaner from the good ol' U S of A.

Manager: I like his spirit! It takes real guts to wade into public bathrooms and shine those bowls up to their whitest. Put 'im in!

I second my previously written "Bah"

:rolleyes:

OK, I was Lord Horatio Nelson. I know he was the British admiral and won the battle of Trafalgar which dashed any hope of Napoleon invading England. I've never read much else about him though. It doesn't seem like he fought many actions just a few really important ones. Maybe someone has some interesting tidbits about this man??

I think it's really odd that out of all these replies I'm the only Nelson! Weird.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StellarRat:

It doesn't seem like he fought many actions just a few really important ones. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He fought in far more actions than most naval men, and suffered wounds which would be grounds for an automatic discharge today. His most notable characteristic was his willingness to disregard orders if the situation warranted it, and his willingness to break the "sacred" line of battle if he saw an opportunity he could exploit. He was also highly aggressive and believed that the enemy should be fought at point blank range.

He manifested all of these traits during the Battle of Cape St. Vincent. Seeing that the Spanish would escape, he broke from the line of battle and threw his ship in the path of the entire Spanish fleet, taking them on by himself. It was unheard of and it could have ended his career. However, Sir John Jervis, the fleet commander, supported his decision.

Nelson laid his ship alongside the San Nicolas and even has he was taking her by storm, the 1st Rate San Josef came alonside, so he used the San Nicolas as a platform to board her too. He called it "Nelson's Patent Bridge for Boarding First Rates".

When Jervis (later Lord St. Vincent) became First Lord of the Admiralty, Nelson's career was assured.

In a later battle, when he commanded the Mediterranean fleet, he attacked the French fleet in Aboukir Bay, off Egypt. The fleet was there to protect Napoleon's army, which had invaded Egypt to take it from the British.

The French were anchored in the bay, close to the shore. They presented a long line of cannon to any attacker, and would be hard to dislodge.

However, Nelson decided to risk grounding some of his vessels, and slipped ships close into shore, behind the French vessels. Since their guns were not rolled out or loaded on the landward side, they were unable to return fire. Nelson annihilated the fleet in a battle lasting several hours.

The consequence of this battle were widespread. Napoleon lost his African army - the British controlled the Mediterranean and no supplies or replacements could be shipped. It was the end of attempts to take Egypt from the British.

This is another example of his use of innovative tactics to defeat his enemies. Cape St. Vincent, Aboukir Bay and Trafalgar were all victories brought about by a daring, sometimes reckless, plan.