Too much Combat Mission?

Lately I've been having trouble playing Cmbo.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for pbem play against human opponents (they're good, I'm not), rather against playing the computer. I go throught the setup, place my units, hit "go" and then "it hits". I just don't want to play from this point on. It's just frustrating to go on in the new game. It's been overflowing to other things as well. I'm easily frustrated, irritable.... Anyone else experienced this?

Maybe time for a break from CM.

-Tiger

I know the feeling -- it comes from a CMBO overload.

<Armchair Psychologist Mode On>

You don't feel like playing it after the setup, because you just realized that for all of the effort you put into positioning every unit in just the right place, it's all for naught -- you will easily defeat the AI, and without any of the satisfaction you would get from defeating a real, thinking human being.

I tend to think of the AI as a punching bag -- great to try out things on, but not very good for a truly good workout, if you're already used to playing against other people. I found myself with this mindset after getting heavily involved in multiplayer games -- after playing real people, it's hard to go back.

Solution -- Play more PBEM and TCP/IP. My e-mail is toleran76@icqmail.com, if you want to start up a pbem.

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!

Or, you could get on a boat for a couple months, that helps. You know, fishing season's starting up in Alaska, if you're in Ketchikan I can give you a reference. I know a great dock foreman who loves to play Axis and Allies.

Tiger

I can readily understand you getting tired of playing CMBO

But if you decide that making mods has gotten old as well...

i think you need to be ready to enter the witness protection program

Your mods are as addicting as CMBO and if you were to remove the supply it might not be pretty

------------------

"The Trouble with Normal is it only gets Worse"

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

You don't feel like playing it after the setup, because you just realized that for all of the effort you put into positioning every unit in just the right place, it's all for naught -- you will easily defeat the AI,

I tend to think of the AI as a punching bag -- great to try out things on. (...) I found myself with this mindset after getting heavily involved in multiplayer games -- after playing real people, it's hard to go back.

I have experienced exactly that. Everytime I'm about to start larger battles I don't even bother to set up anymore.

I do however try things out in medium battles. After half a game I usually hit Alt-C, to see if the AI has had enough yet.

High time to give the AI some bonuses, I guess. wink.gif

I recently took on more PBEM's than I usually do, and my opponents aren't fast enough to satisfy my need for fresh files. I'm even inclined to start even more games. Yup, it's an addiction allright. wink.gif

Too true. I find I can't mange to keep my interest with the AI. The solution is PBEM for me. With 14+ games going I have plenty to occupy what time I have after work.

I find the human factor to always be a challenge [course when I a being dissected and kicked around the board it is a little harder to boot up smile.gif]

So thats the solution, keeping it hot and heavy. Besides, the AI can't taunt or make wise cracks about my most recent move!

------------------

•Non illegitimi carborundum est

•If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

Tiger,

I know your frustration. The "Combat Mission Beyond Overload" syndrome is not a new incident here.

One way to cure this is to try other games or do other things, put it aside for the moment.

BTW, how about a game of PBEM? biggrin.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Come to my Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/

I agree that the AI just does not do it for me anymore. I try oh god how I try. Then again I can never turn down a game against another person. I find that I use the AI as a "lab" to test new things. Like right now I am testing the best ways to initiate contact with the enemy. Once I am in contact I quit. Ahhh. What is sad is the fact that it is still the best AI out there!

Thanks BTS (haven't said that this week!)

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Kryton of Red Dwarf

Well, with over 100+ AI games, nope, never experienced it.

I played this week and had Shermans burst out a sunken road after most of the game creaping behind shielding infantry. With only eight turns left, they ran into two companies of infantry, in the open!!! What a field day. I was as excited as I was on my first game. It was a totally new experience.

I won, of course (it was the AI), but the scenarios are quite varied and there are still vehicles I haven't even played with or against. That is after eight months!

That is the most astounding thing about CM, it just keeps you snared. Now too much of anything is not supposed to be good for you. But so far, that hasn't happened with CM yet. For me anyway...

Don't have any idea what you are talking about. Thank goodness :0

I sort of know what you mean, I tinker with terrain mods and find myself spending more time fussing over them than over battles. Then the mood changes and my wife can't tear me away from the game...

Take a break, Tiger, and come back refreshed and inspired anew. We'll be here.

Now that is the most disgusting thing I have read on this or for that matter any forum. You Tiger, of all people. I am hurt - deeply and very upset. Now, next thing you'll be crying about making mods I suppose. No, let's just drop it right now before it gets out of hand. Maybe making some more mods will snap you out of this,this - whatever you're in. Damn! You've gone and ruined my evening. I'm going to bed. Good night. I suggest you do the same. Everything will be ok tomorrow.

I can't stay away from this thread.

I was addicted heavily to smoking once.

10 years of ceaselessly killing myself,

but I sure enjoyed it.

Quit, and 21 years later, no desire,

but I kind of miss it, but not that much.

CM, been addicted eight months. Don't

plan on quitting, and its starting to become

clear, I never will.

I'm showing signs of over addiction. Red

eyes, CM forum checking, far away look

at work, hard disk purchase to hold mods,

circling CM vehicles twenty times instead

of plotting moves, and so on. Yes, its

clear I'm over addicted.

I may need some rehab time without CM, but

such a thought starts beads of sweat and

uncontrollable shakes. NO, they will have

to pry my CM CD from my cold dead fingers...

Geez... pathetic, but one happy puppy...

Originally posted by Hamsters:

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!

Or, you could get on a boat for a couple months, that helps. You know, fishing season's starting up in Alaska, if you're in Ketchikan I can give you a reference. I know a great dock foreman who loves to play Axis and Allies.

Wouldn't recommend this as an option for avoiding CM, and I definetley wouldn't recommend it as a job to anyone. Last summer I missed the release of CM frown.gif If you do decide to go fishing, keep in mind:

-No computer, no CM, no nothing for 3 months.

-16+ hour days.

-back pain, shoulder pain, finger pain, and boss pain.

-Arthritis won't happen before you're 30? Think again.

-Showers maybe once every 3 days. Hey, it's ten minutes less sleep.

-20 minutes in the water without a survival suit, you can stop worrying about how to pay for college.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Free hosting for your CM pictures!

Tiger, man, I'm going through the same thing. I can relate.

Hey, no video game, not civ, not x-com, not CM is gonna last forever. We've seen em come and go. What I'm doing is taking a complete break and playing other games. I promise you, when you come back to CM (as you WILL come back, this game is a classic) the old magic will return.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time