Sneek Peek at the NEW "Der Kessel"

Hey everyone I just want to see what you (as a group) think of the new design for der Kessel. Alot of stuff is not linked yet and is in the works, it is at the momment very "naked" in the term of information but I'm working on it slowly.

Some things may change over time, due to discussion within the Sturmgruppe over function and "need".

-mensch (der kessel webmaster)

New Der Kessel design

Old but still functioning Der Kessel site

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: mensch ]

It's definetely better as the old one, i'm saying this beeing professional web designer. Letters however could use some more contrast, and would be nice if sections of stuff in the menu (maps, operations, mods) is little bit more separated from each other for better navigation.

Thanks ciks, as for the navigation on the left, we're contemplating of mixing the ops and battles onto one link then defining them once there. That would eliminate two links and give more "breathing" space which I feel is also needed. Again could be said for the maps section, freeing up one more space. The contrast I've been playing with, and if anything a lighter grey to be used to get that defining edge for the text.

thanks for your imput.

Well, Meschy-poo, I can say as a professional bastid and nay-sayer, that it is a bunch of high-falutin' overblown crap. You think it is just SOOOO special 'cause you know how to differentiate what is historical and not. Ooooh, and the German title -- nice! Why not call it "The Cauldron" your an english speaker aren't ya? Basically, all pomp and no circumstance.

Now then, as a semi-professional butt-kisser (I work for tips) I would have to say that the elegant design is very eye-catching, and a real site where I'd like to hang out and get comfortable. VERY stylish. :D:D;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ciks:

It's definetely better as the old one, i'm saying this beeing professional web designer. Letters however could use some more contrast, and would be nice if sections of stuff in the menu (maps, operations, mods) is little bit more separated from each other for better navigation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes. second these suggestions. and would advise you to code on/off states into the navigation to let users know where they are in the site.

Looks great Mensch and Berli!

The grey design is very nice, but i think

it would look even better if you spiced it up with some color on the mouseOver event.

Like the menu bar in IE or like inDP review

BTW a very good site. smile.gif

Good luck with the site!

/Jesper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

yes. second these suggestions. and would advise you to code on/off states into the navigation to let users know where they are in the site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks.. as for the states, hmm I'm thinking of it too. We'll see when I'll have more of a solid foundation I'll set her in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

I'd like to say, as one that was helping you with it, that Netscape sucks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but berli that was fun, wasn't? I mean why on earth should HTML 2.0 not work in Netscape!?? I mean a simple image tag not showing up because netscape says so is enough for me.. *barf* I'm just so glad netscape is packing it in for a Browser business.. morons.

Mensch,

At 1024x768, the left nav button are pretty small and hard to read. While black, white, and gray tones are classy in certain places, I would enjoy a little color for contrast, like making the print on the nav buttons blue or something.

You might consider having just one or two main mods buttons so they could be larger and less busy. Breakdown in the second tier.

Thanks for the work. I use the site regularly.

I'll be the first one to tell you that I totally lack any semblance of taste but anyway, here goes:

1. I would not separate the different parts in the menu until you choose "Battles", "Mods" , ie keep the old menu sections. It looks too crowded now.

I have a javascript that loads 2 or more pages in a frameset which could do the trick for you if you want a new menu to load for Mods for example. It is only a hassle if you're fixated on using your browsers back button.

2. As long as you don't expect visitors to read for an hour on your site, grey on white is OK imo. It looks damn nice too.

3. So does the boxes.

4. So in fact does everything else.

5. Nevermind Netscape. "It's a piece of junk."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

I'd like to say, as one that was helping you with it, that Netscape sucks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good designer sets up html that works in all browsers, and conforms to W3 standards! *ducks for cover*

But to be honest, I like the proposed site. Well done you two!

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

A good designer sets up html that works in all browsers, and conforms to W3 standards! *ducks for cover*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lovely point there Mace... however, Netscape doesn't support the W3 standard. If it did, it wouldn't be a problem. So, I stand on my original statement....

NETSCAPE SUCKS!!!!

Ah hafta han' at tae ye, at's a grrreat lookin' site. An' ye canna handa manna granda spanner. Der hat 'n Schatten aber manchmal auch lichte Augenblicke. Tha cat ain tha hat shat on tha mat. Die Olga ist 'n richtiger Bachotter und ihre Schwester ist schlechter.

Nice job lads, nice job.

Wow, thanks for the replies guys! smile.gif

so ta answer a few questions

MrSpkr: As soon as possible, I'm in today at work (this being sunday) and chop up a few pages and personal stuff.

Lawyer : yup I'm working on the contrast, but right now that would be fine tuning which I'll nail down in the week. ya I was hard up on how to design the site for monitor screen size. I mean I use 1280x1024 at work and 1024x768 at home but here are my stats from last month at the site for screen size:

Screen Resolution used by your visitors (in %)*

1024x768 43.12%

800x600 41.39%

1280x960 6.31%

1600x1200 5.04%

1280x1024 2.24%

1152x864 1.90%

if I have time I'll do a larger design for those bigger settings using a redirect or somefink, but that has priority 3 at the momment.

Geier: right now thats the full menu layout, of course if I have no Allied Support mods that choice on the menu will not be there, etc.. why offer donuts when I don't have any righ? hmmm the javascripting I can handle but thanks, actually I did that for a website here by my work. smile.gif

MikeyD : Thanks MikeyD, we hope to bring more to you and everyone soon.

Mace : Mace, mace, mace.. the only thing netscape has in standard is the back button... heh, jk. Ya finding out what works on which browser is fun (right Berli?) because there IS NO WEB STANDARD. just start building frames sets and look at three differnt browswers and you'll cry, then look on those three browsers on three different platforms.. then you snap a nerve.

Lt Bull: well I can tell you Berli is working onna bunch and so are two others in our group, man we got a lot of updating to do.

Berli: Ditto

Germanboy : *slap*

Måkjager: thanks! smile.gif

Capt Canuck : you ain't finding out till you get a police search warrent.. jk.. no serriously i think it's Wolf's High contrast Grass. I think I got it from Tom's combat mission HQ

OGSF : Again me boy I spent 10 minutes figuring out what you wrote.. but I think itsa complement, thanks? tongue.gif