Announcement: CMBO Invitational PBEM Tourney of "Stars"!!

My original intention was to draw upon some of that old berserker viking blood of mine. But considering what someone just said about how they got themselves into a berserk frenzy (leather thongs + testicles + hot wax, you get the idea) I'm looking at easier solutions. ;)

Maybe I'll just use the ingenious trick of hiding my vehicles by hitting Shift-V while they reload. Shift-C to enlarge my opponents vehicles, thereby making them easier to hit, could also work.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deadline has passed for the eight invitations that are still out there. I have received word from one of those, bringing us to a total of nineteen players.

Allow me to introduce Ben Gelanti!! We enjoy Ben's posts but we also think he needs to broaden his horizons. Scouting reports indicate Ben is strictly a scenario player. He hasn't a clue about unit cost! :eek: This little event should round out his CM skills a bit. Study up, Ben; and Welcome Aboard!!

I have one more slot to fill but I'm going to send out two more invites. Why?

We can't make up our minds. Besides, if you can play 19 games you can play 20. One or both of them might not be able to participate anyway.

I'll be online again in 24 hours. Real life is demanding my attention.

Treeburst155 out.

OK, number twenty has accepted his invitation. Please welcome Mr. Spkr to the tournament!! Mr. Spkr was invited because he promised he would let me have my wife and children back if I invited him. :D Actually, scouting reports indicate he's not afraid of this lineup so I'm just very curious to see how he does. Welcome aboard, Mr. Spkr!!

I've got one more invitation still out there. I'll wait until 2200 hours, Friday, June 22 for a response. Since we already have 20 players no more invitations will go out.

There are several tourney related things I will be working on for the next 10-14 days along with maps. I'm entertaining guests right now so I won't be too available until Monday the 25th. Keep an eye on this thread for any late breaking info. I may need your opinions and input on a couple things. Thanks!!

Here is the FINAL list of contestants:

1) Fionn Kelly

2) Martin "Moon" Turewicz

3) Bill Hardenberger

4) SuperTed

5) Michael Dorosh

6) Ari Maenpaa

7) Fuerte

8) Berlichtingen

9) Jshandorf

10) MickOZ

11) Claymore

12)

13) CapitalistDogInChina

14) John Kettler

15) Jarmo

16) Robert Hall

17) Texas Toast

18) Sten

19) Ben Galanti

20) Mr. Spkr

Please make sure you are familiar with how the tourney will work. Your invitation letter spells it out in detail. If you have any questions just write me at Mikeman@cablelynx.com for a prompt response.

When you get your Contact List with all participants'names and email addresses you should begin arranging games. This will mark the beginning of the tournament.

Some of you are listed above using your nickname and some by your real name. I will know you only by the name listed above. When you report game results please use the names listed. That's it for now.

Puzzle of the Day: If twenty players are to play one game against each of the other players, and no player is to see the same map twice, how many maps do I need to make?

Treeburst155 out.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Puzzle of the Day: If twenty players are to play one game against each of the other players, and no player is to see the same map twice, how many maps do I need to make?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None. Since you have worked sooo hard at putting this thing together, I feel it is my civic duty to volunteer to design the maps for our serial skirmishes . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

And now I would like to announce our latest "star", John Kettler!

John was invited because we feel his posts have been consistently excellent for years. Can he play the game? Who knows, but he's willing to give it his best. Welcome aboard, John!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kettler's a star? Since when? Isnt he that refuge from the Panzer Elite website that is always goes on about how he used to once be employed in some defense industry or another?

Whats this tourney coming to?

Lewis

PS I am still the only real star here. Maybe peng. I dunno.

Umm,

A very nice looking tourney you guys have put together. I always try to keep up with adventures like these because the AAR's make them a lot of fun. (as scribe of the pool I expect...nay demand, some good descriptions from our guys)

Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. Good luck to all (some more than others ;))

Lorak

Username,

Who, praytell, applied yellow organic water to your cereal, and why am I being singled out for your scorn and disdain? After all, I did not decree myself to be a star; that honorific was bestowed on me by the organizers. I merely accepted the honor of their kind invitation, suddenly finding myself in august company.

Your mephitic utterances have, of course, spoiled the ambrosia and discolored the walls of CM Olympus. As I recall, you were equally if not even more unpleasant on the PE board. Will you never learn?

Yes, I used to spend a lot of time on the PE board. Yes, I spent over eleven years as a Soviet Threat Analyst at Hughes and Rockwell.

What of it? Why should you be allowed to cite your expertise and field experience, yet I am not so permitted? If my work experience bugs you, then it'll probably really gall you to know that I have a Primary Researcher credit in an Academy Award winning documentary called

"the Panama Deception."

If you object to my inclusion in this group, I suggest you take it up with the organizers. I'm not leaving.

John Kettler

Mmm.. maths was never my strength, but do we need something like 200 maps? :eek:

Well, the lineup certainly looks promising. I might not be the best of the bunch, but I will make funny squeaking sounds while you beat me, so it should work out just fine.

WineCape emailed me the correct answer to the map question. Although there will be 190 different games played I only need 19 different maps.

Mr. Spkr,

Thanks for the offer, but I can handle it. I may even have time to improve them some. Besides, I'd hate to have you play a game on a map you are already familiar with. :D One thing you could do for me is set up a spread sheet with all 190 games on it with columns for results in Microsoft Works. :eek: What's that? Your computer just broke? I understand. :rolleyes: Seriously, your offer is appreciated but 19 maps is no problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

Kettler's a star? Since when?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously don't know the man. A very cunning and clever PBEM opponent, he e-mailed me when he found out he made the list asking me if I would like some wine. In fact, I remember him saying something like "Berli, piece of cake. 10 turns and out" or "I'm going to hand Fionn his head on a silver platter". I can't post what he said about the others (don't want to get banned, you know).

John,

Good luck :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

You obviously don't know the man. A very cunning and clever PBEM opponent, he e-mailed me when he found out he made the list asking me if I would like some wine. In fact, I remember him saying something like "Berli, piece of cake. 10 turns and out" or "I'm going to hand Fionn his head on a silver platter". I can't post what he said about the others (don't want to get banned, you know).

John,

Good luck :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am just pulling his chain. I got a hoot that he was involved with that liberal cheapshot of a film. It accuses the US of using overwhelming force in a military action. Yeah?, and whats the point.

I would kick the living mucous out of everyone on that list BTW. But wine gives me a headache.

Lewis

Things are moving right along. My big tourney spreadsheet is complete along with 12 of 19 maps. I'll probably send out the Contact Lists within one week.

Texas Toast was a BIG help to me this week. He identified and solved a major problem of mine that I didn't even know existed. Although I only need 19 maps for the tourney, all 190 games must be assigned a map in a very specific manner in order for everything to work out so that each player sees each map only one time.

Having realized this, Texas Toast somehow created a table for me to use to assign the right maps to the right games.

Without this table I would have found myself making a bunch of maps later in the tourney. Thanks Texas Toast!

There is more news coming soon that involves yet another prize. I'll announce the details as soon as Winecape and I figure them out.

Let me take a moment to discuss everyone's favorite topic, Gamey Tactics.

Players should chat with each other about this issue as a part of their game negotiations. Let your opponent know where you stand on gameyness and how you intend to play. Using gamey tactics does not upset people nearly as much when they know they will be up against such tactics. Expected gamey tactics can be prepared for and often defeated. Unexpected gamey tactics will be looked upon with scorn. Flagrant abuse of the few flaws in this amazing game engine could even result in a restart of the game if your opponent can show that you were not honest with him concerning gamey tactics.

If there are specific gamey tactics that really bother you, or that you intend to use, make sure your opponent is fully aware of them. Come to an agreement on these specific tactics. A friendly chat about gamey stuff will keep your games enjoyable for both you and your opponents.

So, your games can be as gamey as you like so long as your opponent is FULLY aware of this fact before the game begins. However, an officer and a gentleman would not insist on heavy use of gamey tactics if his opponent is against it. Remember, Steve and Charles would make gamey tactics impossible if they could.

That's enough on this subject. I've got 16 jeeps loaded with bazookas in a PBEM game I've got to rush forward. It's safe for them now because my hunter/killer crews have wiped out his schrecks and my 8 sharpshooters are keeping me well informed of the enemy's whereabouts. :D

Treeburst155 out.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

My wife is sponsoring another prize for the tourney! She is going to send $50 cash as a "Sportsmanship Award" to the player who exhibits the best sportsmanship throughout the tourney.

How will sportsmanship be determined? You must be elected by the other players. If you vote for yourself you automatically lose. You will send your vote to WineCape near the end of the tourney. We will let you know when it is time to vote. When all votes are in WineCape will announce the winner of the "Sportsmanship Award". This event will mark the end of the tourney. It is entirely possible a runoff election will be necessary, which would be fun.

You may be wondering how my wife became a tourney benefactor. It's quite simple really. The $50 will be stolen out of her purse when the time comes. :D

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Mike,

See! I TOLD you Charles was worth including in the Tournament.

As for your unsuspecting wife...I can only add that mine was mightily suspicious when I started trolling for information on sending liquor worldwide. I quickly threw up a Mk.Zero smokescreen...a bit on how beautiful she was looking that evening. Not entirely original but I'm sure that it was entirely successful. Wooo Hooo ;)

Cheers

Murray

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

[QB]

You may be wondering how my wife became a tourney benefactor. It's quite simple really. The $50 will be stolen out of her purse when the time comes. :D

- - -

Mike,

You'll forgive me but I can see the chance to earn some serious money here in much valued US currency. How much is it worth to you that your wife NOT find out about your plans for her $50?

:D

Mikey,

MickOz is right, we really CAN squeeze you here to make this tourney 1st prize hit the $1000 barrier! ;)

My wife was already asking me about the bottles of wine set aside for this Invitational as well as those for Tourney I & II.

I told her business on the Internet, contrary to popular believe regarding what she might have read in newspapers, is booming! :D Damn, there goes any leverage I have against you Mike!

It really helps that she is rearing my 2 daughters and Daddy is in charge of business - sort of. :rolleyes:

Please thank your wife in advance for her "advance".

Regards,

Charl Theron

Hello Gentleman,

Just to recap for our combatants, the prizes of this "Stars" Invitational is as follows:

1. <LI> US$220.00 wine value for the winner, I'll pay for postage/freight too;
    <LI> The John Platter: A South African Wine Guide for the winner, 450+ page booklet. South Africa's top wine critic and contributor to the Oxford Companion of Wine.
    <LI> A bottle of Islay Single Malt Scotch or US$100.00 for the winner. [sponsor: Claymore]
    <LI> US$50.00 bonus prize to a non-winner. [sponsor: Treeburst155]
    <LI> US$50.00 prize to the combatant voted as the "Best Sportsman" [sponsor: Mrs. Treeburst155]

I have been informed by Treeburst155 that the Invitational will start very soon, possibly only in a couple days' time.

Regards,

Charl theron

The Contact List should be in your mailbox now. If you have not received your list let me know. If your list went to an address you would rather not use for this tourney send me a new address for tourney use and I'll correct the list and inform the players.

The War has begun. May the best man win!

Treeburst155 out.