Announcement: CMBO Invitational PBEM Tourney of "Stars"!!

Mike,

Far be it for me to agree with a future opponent, whose root name suggests perhaps one with holes bored through his head to admit light, but I too would prefer a tournament where there are no preset rules.

Doesn't it make the victory all the sweeter when you best your opponent upon the ground of his own choosing? The only difference being that now I will be able to toast my victories with Winecape's very generous samplings.

Cheers

murray

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Claymore:

The only difference being that now I will be able to toast my victories with Winecape's very generous samplings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall saying that I planned on sharing. Also, another error I see in your post is the word victories. I conceed that you may, in fact, win a game, I find it unlikely that you will earn the right to use that word in the plural.

Can you believe that they actually invited us out into the Outer Board?

MrBurst and MrCape,

It is with my profoundest apologies that I return to this thread. I seem to have crapped on your carpet (although here the comparison ends as I have almost no canine DNA in me and no one has accused me of being cute for nearly 40 years...although there was this one time when someone called me "cute" but the irony in her voice could not be mistaken for a genuine belief in any sort of cuteness on my part either in behavior, bearing or appearance).

That being said, I do strongly stand by my assessment of the party of the whining worthless part, I simply should have dragged his horrid mewling body bag into a more appropriate thread for my little rant. I have a tendancy to loudly and with little regard for the feelings of anyone in the area point out the foolishness of fools. This Ghost wank has shown himself to be a bleating lamb - and if I may just take a little more of your bandwidth to point out an egregious error to the li'l fellah.

Smilies do not "offend" me. It is my contention that the use of smilies does nothing to enhance discourse, and the use of emoticons is simply a cheap, shoddy and careless way of expressing thoughts and emotions that, to careful, thoughtful and experienced readers and writers, are best expressed using written words. So smilie away - enjoy - have fun.

Oh and about PBEM vs TCP. I much prefer the latter. Although I typically have several PBEMs going, the pace is a bit off-putting.

Lastly, as many other 'poolers have said in many ways - The GAME is the thing. I really LIKE playing Combat Mission. I like talking about CM. I like writing about CM. I like a lot of People who PLAY CM. Sometimes I brag about my scores, But I always know that Shandorf can beat the snot out of me and I can beat the snot out of Hiram and that half the time Elvis will kick the snot out of me and I will kick the snot out of him the other half. SO WHAT? I had fun when Shandorf tore me that new arse. It was an actual pleasure to see how he played the game with such precision and decisiveness.

It sure is nice to win, but what the hell? My ego is not so wrapped up in the game that I need to have an official ranking. Besides, my ego is fed to bursting every day because I have a Mutha Beautiful Thread named after me.

MrCape and MrBurst, Again I must apologize. I seem to have soiled your rug a second time.

Thank you for your generous offer to the 'Pooligans. I am looking forward to some excellent AAR's to come out of the Tourney of the Stars. And of course a glass of wine with the winner (I got my money on Shandorf, but don't tell Berli {he will inflict me with sores or something}, or Shandorf for that matter - his ego is already bigger than it should be.

Peng

Aahh, Mr Peng....I don't mind you soiling my carpet. Sir Seanachai will have you trained to the newspaper in the corner soon enough. The Pooligans being involved in the tournament will make it just that much more fun for all involved and maybe even the entire community. Winecape and I are very pleased you Denizens of the Dank Domain have given us Berli and Jshandorf.

And now I would like to announce our latest "star", John Kettler!

John was invited because we feel his posts have been consistently excellent for years. Can he play the game? Who knows, but he's willing to give it his best. Welcome aboard, John!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Winecape and I are very pleased you Denizens of the Dank Domain have given us Berli and Jshandorf.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'pool would be willing to consider a trade for Shandorf ... a spitoon mod, perhaps, but Berli is only on loan

No MAs! No Mas!...Pleae make em stop! I cant take anymore.

I must have had a bout of momentary insanity when I uttered the "P" word. Had I known, that in so doing that I would have unleashed the very hounds of hell upon my sorry ass, I would have never considered uttering the "P" word.

So in light of my uttering the untypable, I would like to apologize to Treeburst and Winecape for dragging this thread into a morass of negativity. Never was my intention so.

In fact, my intention , which I thought was obvious, was to stir the competitiveness of some of the people left out of WineCape's tourney and garner some interest in TH's humble little tourney. Granted, while I was at it I took some shots at the very notion of "invite", and was attempting to use false indignation about the very concept. But alas, the net is crappy medium for sarcasm.

Then I took aim at P---, I will rue the day I ever fired that volley in that direction. Had I realized they actually read posts beyond the Pe...(oooops, almost said it) thread I would have thought better, as discretion is the better part of valor.

Their is one point I would like to make, at no point did I ever mention my ranking at TH. (But thanks for noticing ;) )And when I spoke of kicking arse in the Winecape tourney if any of us (TH inclusive) were actually invited, it was with the hope that an invitation would be directed toward our group of valiant CM warriors.

Not with the mind of me being invited persay, but that Yobobo(TH web guy) would garner some consideration or TH as a group. Yobobo is certainly very much a celebrity in the CM community and his contributions to the larger CM community hopefully have not gone unnoticed.

So with that, I decline your offer to join your pleasant little gathering, first on the grounds that I agree, I am no CM celebrity by any stretch of the imagination, infact this is one of my first posts ever at Bfront (lurker for awhile, and would'nt uknow it, I get gangbanged by the Pool) :(

The last thing I wanna become is another whipping boy for the pool, like Panzerleader is smile.gif

Secondly, I feel that maybe the invitation should be directed towards yobobo in recognition of all his selfless work to offer yet another quality outlet for people to get together and play CM. Remember, Yo started the CAL league with Abbott in response to a style of play people wished to see in the CM community.

If Yo, refuses to accept the invite then maybe he or we(TH) could nominate one of our own (if it is me I will serve)from THouse. If Peng is worth two candidates, then certainly we are worth one. The list of candidates I could throw out from our ranks are celebrities in their own right. First off their is the LEGENDARY Swamp....yes he is not a myth..he is often at TH taking on all comers and constantly proving why IMHO he is the best CM player on the planet.

Other notables, who are well known who frequent our site are, Von Schalburg (Dane and highest ranked player), GravesRegistration(Liberal wacko, but I am willing to overlook that since he always crushes me) and Wreck (Helped bring about CAL and is an insanely good player who has been contributing mightly to the CM community long before his arrival at TH).

So again thank you for the invitation WineCape, but when compared to the likes of Yobobo and Swamp, I am hardly fit to accept on my own to represent the distinguished TH. So I refuse your gracious offer and hope you consider Yobobo out right and or maybe an at large person from TH.

I dont pretend to speak for Yobobo, TH is his sight and his brainchild, I hope I have not tarnished anyone's opinion of TH with my earlier audacious remarks. Anyone who has dealt with Yo knows what an accomadating and great guy he is and how well and fair his sight is run.

Thanks

Ghost358th

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Ghost358th ]

Your apology is accepted Ghost. I think you should know that we did invite a prominent member of the TH ladder to the tourney. In fact we invited him twice because we had two email addresses for him and weren't sure which one to use. That person is Abbott. He has not responded to the invite as of now.

We only invited one website owner who declined because he's up to his ears in work maintaining his site. Like we've said before, there are soooo many people who deserve an invitation. Abbott was/is our nominee from TH.

If there are still openings on Wednesday, and you don't want to participate yourself, I see no reason why TH as a whole could not choose a representative from among them to fill the slot we have promised you. Get back to me on Wednesday when we will know where we stand.

Again, your apology is accepted. Good luck with the TCP/IP tourney at TH!

Treeburst155 out.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

We've got two more players to announce!

First we have JARMO, who's exuberance for CM and cheerful personality are evident in his frequent posts. After one of Rexford's super-grog posts Jarmo wrote, "I just love reading these things and pretending to understand". I can relate to that remark. Welcome aboard, Jarmo!

Next we have none other than the Numero Uno of the Rugged Defense ladder, ROBERT HALL!! Nuff said. Welcome Robert!!

All Hands On Deck!!

Claymore is beefing up the prize! He is contributing a bottle of fine Islay Scotch to the winner! Thank you, Claymore!

There is a chance the shipping of this fine prize may not be possible; depending on where the winner lives, among other things.

In that case, Claymore will send a CASH equivalent to the winner. I believe we're talking in the neighborhood of $100 here.

Like I said, this is fine Islay Scotch. Thank you, Claymore!!

All Hands On Deck!!

Claymore is beefing up the prize! He is contributing a bottle of fine Islay Scotch to the winner! Thank you, Claymore!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good thing Peng didn't know about this in advance otherwise I think he would have joined instead and had me play his turns for him. Otherwise one might think the might try to pry that scotch from my cold, clamy, tiny fist.

There is no bond stronger than a Pod and his scotch.

jeff

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That person is Abbott. He has not responded to the invite as of now<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't give up on Abbott... he contacted me last week saying we would have to put our game on hold as he has gotten called away for work for a couple of weeks.

Bil

P.S. I vote the participants dictate their own rules to play by, if any.

OK, I've heard enough on the force restriction issue. Thanks for the input. We will stick to my original plan as spelled out in the invitation letter. Force restrictions will be determined for each game by the players themselves.

In the event of an impasse in negotiations between players I will roll a die. 1,2 means players use Panther 76 rules as spelled out on Rugged Defense. 3,4 means players use Recon Rules as spelled out on the same site. 5,6 means players use infantry, inf guns, and up to 81mm mortars only. This is better than me choosing forces for both sides in the case of an impasse in negotiations.

Treeburst155 out.

Well, I kinda sorta messed up real bad here. I've got 4 slots left to make 20 people, BUT I've got 8 invitations out that haven't expired yet. Really shoddy planning on my part. I should have paid closer attention to what I was doing over the last week. Somehow I think the Cesspool is to blame. Yeah, it's their fault. It just has to be.

I'm going to set a firm deadline for all 8 invitations still floating around out there. I need to hear from you by Wednesday, June 20th, 2200 hrs. (GMT-6) if you wish to take part. If we go over twenty people then so be it. The event will just last a little longer.

If there are still less than 20 people at that time more invitations will go out, but not more than the slots I have available. I won't make that mistake again.

Treeburst155 out.

bottle of fine Islay Scotch<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was looking forward to dishing out some major DIE-A-LOT-NOWâ„¢, for the shear pleasure of it, but this makes it serious. Best y'all practice up on pressing ALT (CMD)+U :D

Claymore, you are a gentleman and a scholar

Don't mind me, but Ghostnumber has besmirched my good name and called me out as a whipping boy. I feel the need to defend myself

"Mr Ghost, I do not know who you are. I don't play TH and have never seen your record, but I am sure it is not as good as mine. While the number of games I have played is lost in atiquity, I can gaurantee you that I have won at least 20% of them!!!

Try and top that, sonny. Now then, folks, as you were...

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

We have another CM Beta-tester who has accepted our invitation!! Let's hear a big round of applause for STEN!!! ......... Did you hear that, Sten? They love you. Then again, maybe they just want to crush you on the field of battle. :D

Welcome aboard, Sten!

In other news, you may have noticed that TeAch and BradleyH have completed their secure version of the "BadCo Endgame Randomizer". I highly recommend its use in your games. This is another thing that is to be negotiated between players. Keep in mind your games will be 25 turns and you are in effect playing a scenario, not a QB. You will only be able to shorten the games. The maps will be on the small side for a 1,500 pt. battle so I think a 21-25 turn game would work well. YOu all know the game better than I do so decide amongst yourselves. I just thought I'd put the info out because I think you would enjoy using the BER as much as I do.

Let's hear a big round of applause for STEN!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Swedes! You can't possibly think you can drink all that by your lonesome do you? Why not pop over to the west coast after you've won?

Johan

Covering all bases

WineCape has requested I post the following to the forum:

Greetings Gentleman!

I'm reading this Invitational thread on my *slow* internet

enabled mobile here in the middle of Africa (will be back

home in the RSA coming Friday latest)

It takes 4 min. plus to D/L a single page (without the

graphic smilies!) on this handheld piece of mine.

A few things have to be said, slow brandwith or not:

-- Firstly, I'd like to thank Claymore for adding the

extra prize to ours - a bottle of Islay Scotch or $100.

Much, much appreciated sir!

-- Secondly, my thanks/gratitude to our Tourney

Manager, Treeburst155, for his persistence in

plugging away, tediously looking for e-mail addresses

here on the Forum so people can be invited. Hard going

due to the fact that the search function on the forum

being almost kaput. Well done Mike, I see you have

managed to gather some fine combatants, gentlemen,

not so gentlemen and even those dreaded ghosts in

haunted Pengville! smile.gif

--Thirdly to the Poolers: Kindly note that your men are on

LOAN to us. I thank the Elders from the cesspool for

giving us your bright Stars! When they have finished this

tourney, please take them back to your 'pool as I'm

afraid they might like it too much in the outerboards!

--Fourthly, to all those that have accepted our invites so

far to this Invitational; may this tourney be of enormous

fun to each other, played in a good spirit to HONOUR

the creators, CHARLES, STEVE et al of this

beautiful, well crafted piece of software, an enigma

called Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

May either the best PBEM player, best insulter, best so-

so player, best historian or best grognard win in great

style! You are all 'Best Men' in our book.

Kind regards,

Charl Theron