What the Hell is the H39 Hotchkiss?

They were one of the main (medium) battle tanks the French Army used at the outset of WWII. The German Army used just about anything that was in working order (though I haven't seen any of the other French tanks). I heard that there were even some of the 1917 tank/tankettes around - though they were most likely used as tractors.

At the time the French designs were pretty good except for a common, glaring deficiency - one man turrets.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Thanks folks, you guys are on the ball today!

:D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a scenario where the Germans get three and a company of troops to go after some US paratroops.

Without the Hotchkiss tanks it would be very very tough (dare I say impossible) in the time allotted, but with them its just doable.

For me.

In my opinion.

So, they do have some use, and are better than nothing, but I wouldn't take them up against anything armored at all..

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

Are you talking about the "No Better Place to Die!" Scenario? It was 4 Hotchkiss's. It was also where I 1st found out how much of a garbage truck they are.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dunno if thats the name. I thought that in the one where I encountered them the Hotchkisses were extremely useful little buggers, probably cause they were the only armor on the map.

My infantry closed in on the US positions and when they started to shoot back the hotchkiss tanks all fired their mgs and 37mm guns at thh same couple of US positions from WAAAAY out of zook range.

The US troops took it for a while, then fell back and I advanced. It was a tough fight, but it worked out pretty well. Without those tanks, I would never have pried the paratroopers out of those buildings. Another better player might have but not me.

Now, the AI does open up at long range, which makes this easier to pull off, but still, keep the hotchkiss away from tanks, armored cars, bazookas, rifle grenades, mud and it will do the job on infantry sort of.

[ 05-02-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

Sounds similar Axis attacking Amis on a small map. Except the Amis had a ATG and the hotchkiss was not anyhelp dislodging it from 4 different sides. Along with 50mm mortars. It's a decent pbem game for either side. Think I got it wild bills or rugged defense.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Well, it can provide light armor MG support. That's about it. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, its not too bad at rooting out machine gun nests. I maintain that two or three of them can be a real threat to unsupported infantry.

I'd probably choose nearly anything else, given the choice, but when I don't have the choice, I make do with what I got, and when I had the Hotchkiss I made do and won.

I played that same scenario as Terence and I have to give credit to Runyan99 for a great scenario. I lost only one Hotchkiss in that battle. They proved exceptionally good except you have to handle them with extreme care. But they really did prove their worth in that battle. Good job Runyan99. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

What time periods is it available in, anyone know?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

June, and mostly around the Utah beach / airborne DZs. They didn't last very long after that.

The Hotchkis is availabe in the scenario 'a walk in Paris' too (my favorite scenario).

The Germans rather liked the H-39. I've seen pictures of them in action in Italy and the Balkans in 43-44, in France and possibly Belgium after the invasion. I do doubt anybody bothered to load them up and cart them back during the withdrawal to the Rhine, though. One positive H-39 attribute was they could take a punch much better than a PzII. In 1940 French tanks were considered the best in the world.

The H-39 Hotchkiss is a highly modified Char-Leger H-38 Hotchkiss, The H-39 Hotchkiss was fitted with a long-barrel 37mm rather than the short barrel 37mm from a H-38, and was fitted with a stronger 120 hp engine rather than the weak 6 cylinder engine which was about 90 hp on the H-38, and more armor on the H-39 had increased armor on the sides and had a stronger 7.7mm Co-axial rather than the 7.5mm Co-axial...

I have used them with great success when three of them are teamed with a Panther. They are better than most of the armored cars as scout vehicals for the cost. But that is my thoughts. Others would not agree, but that is their right.

From German Tanks of World War II in Color, p. 31:

"One of the French tanks to see service with the German army was the Hotchkiss H-35 light tank. It was a two-man tank powered by a gasoline engine and armed with a turret-mounted 37-mm antitank gun. The German army acquired over 800 Hotchkiss H-35's and placed them into service as the Panzer 38H 735(f)."

The book inlcudes a color photo of one sitting outside at the Bulgaria Army Museum, surrounded by ivy and shrubs. It looks like a general's little lawn ornament smile.gif

"I haven't seen any of the other French tanks"

They used Somas in Normandy, more of them than the Hotchkiss actually. A heavier tank, 20 tons vs. 12 tons, and with a 47mm guns instead of the 37mm. They also used Lorraine chassis for versions of the Marder, Wespe, and Hummel.

Incidentally, in German service the Hotchkiss was called the Pzkw 38H - 735(f), while the Soma was Pzkw 35S - 739(f). Talk about trivia - LOL.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

There's a scenario where the Germans get three and a company of troops to go after some US paratroops.

Without the Hotchkiss tanks it would be very very tough (dare I say impossible) in the time allotted, but with them its just doable.

For me.

In my opinion.

So, they do have some use, and are better than nothing, but I wouldn't take them up against anything armored at all..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The scenario is La Fiere and is barely doable with the H-39s.

Hotkisses are about the only tank that can be put out of action by a sniper. When the TC gets whacked, the driver (the only other guy in the thing) bails out. Two-man crew also accounts for extremely slow ROF.