bite size missions for quick pbem or TCP/IP

Hey! Hi. Well I'm working on a bunch of new missions and I have been bit by the Micro bug. Yup the Micro bug, and seeing as you guys are great in asking questions here I go.

How many of you would be interested in "Bites" (AKA small missions). They range no larger then 400m x 400m (thats the largest) the smallest falling in at 200m x 200m, quality maps with much room for manouvering and sharp thinking.

The point cost would mostly fall in the range of 1500pts (both sides totaled up) and have a turn length of max 15 turns 10 being the least.

This pretty much brings CMBO to its true form of squad combat, no honking Coys or Bats to do a million micro managing jobs. Small enough to squeeze in that quick 10 -15 minute tcp/ip game before hitting the sack or that pbem you want that does not take 3 weeks to finish.

so who would be game on such scenarios?

Not only would they be welcome for tcp/ip & pbem, but I would also welcome smaller scenarios for playing againt the AI, as well

I agree that CMBO excels in the small scale engagement and I wish there were more small scenarios.

(QB's are ok but I would like to play scenarios that some thought has gone into)

I'm with Jeff, mensh. I will use rune as an example. He makes some really fun and evil scenarios but most are way to big for one sitting of TCP/IP. I would LOVE a bunch of 10-15 turn scenarios. I enjoy premade ones for the same reasons Jeff mentioned. They tend to be more interesting and it's always fun to get reinforcements.

If my current Blood Hamster match with Goanna is any indication of you map making then the scenarios you envision should be great.

I am all for more small scenarios. I'm much more likely to get down on level one and get "into the action" with the smaller scenarios.

Little things mean a lot when you don't have a lot to start with. The 60mm or 2 inch mortar can be game winners, the leadership values come into sharp focus, and the loss of a squad members brings anxiety. "Two casualties! Was one the BAR?"

The monster battles and operations have a place, but a quality small battle gets more repeat play by me than the huge unitfests. I have often wondered if a truly small operation was possible, but have not seen one yet.

Bring on the micro scenarios!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

How many of you would be interested in "Bites" (AKA small missions). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like this idea a lot, Mensch! A related

idea would be to construct extremely small

scenario 'puzzles'. This would be tiny

scenarios optimized for play against

the AI, which are designed to illustrate

some important element of tactics, or

which are just interesting or even humorous

in some way.

But mini scenarios for head to head play

would be most welcome. Computer generated

QB's can get tiresome....oh there's that

village again...and I know you have a

nice eye for maps and a way of breathing

life into the scenario's briefings and

setup.

--Rett

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Well if I ignore Berlichtingen's infamous Spoiler Screenshot of St Lo, I'd say they are nice and should be a good addition as long as they are done by some of the people I know who'd do quality maps regardless of size.

:D

Expect TreeBurst and Winecape to hop on the bandwagon and launch a Tiny Tourney soon afterward...

Wow.. sounds like this is what the CM group would like. smile.gif

ok I got two done, one berli has mastered to some extent so I am gonna wack him with a set up in it.

I have another that needs two human beta testers to go at it double blind.

so I just got news berli and Pawbroon will be beta testing it..

wee its fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

Well if I ignore Berlichtingen's infamous Spoiler Screenshot of St Lo...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why did you lok at the sceenshot named map? Bloody French... got to remember to include instructions with everything smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

So why did you lok at the sceenshot named map? Bloody French... got to remember to include instructions with everything smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In French it's CARTE you daft!!

Anyway, as soon as I saw the MAP file was a file of the MAP I had it closed.

:D

I'll play the Yanks anyway since I saw mostly the things on the lower left.

BTW, the Small Double Blind Bite would be over TCP/IP or FAST PBEM because I'll soon be off for 3 weeks...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

BTW, the Small Double Blind Bite would be over TCP/IP or FAST PBEM because I'll soon be off for 3 weeks...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If tcp/ip, it will have to be when I'm at home... which will be in another 4 hours

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

If tcp/ip, it will have to be when I'm at home... which will be in another 4 hours<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fine for me.

I'd be the one named PawBroon on your Buddy List over ICQ.

Mensch you buffoon if you have time to whomp up (that's Texan for create from scratch) a bunch of teeny-tiny scenarios for the TCP crowd you surely (may I call you Shirley?) have time to:

(a) Send me a freaking turn and/or

(B) Finish the bloody setup for Peng and I. Now I realize that this task is one you're doing for free but I'M NOT GETTING MY MONEY'S WORTH!

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

(a) Send me a freaking turn and/or

(B) Finish the bloody setup for Peng and I. Now I realize that this task is one you're doing for free but I'M NOT GETTING MY MONEY'S WORTH!

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

right oops on the turn thing.. second. I sent you file 6... oh well I'll SEND IT again.

on the match thing you may want to ask the fuzzy opponent of yours. You see I am waiting for his purchase of troops.

So don't go yelling at the Designer or you get crapy set up zones, ya hear?!!

Definitely, these are my favorite sort. But the maps can be a bit deeper - up to 440 by 880 meters, with the long axis in the direction the fight is along. You don't need a lot more forces when the map is narrow, and a longer one can allow more choice of terrain and neater tactical problems, ranged weapons, etc, instead of starting right on top of each other. I'd love to see more of them put together, especially for TCP/IP play, where you have to move reasonably fast.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Dear mensch,

I was very enthusiastic until I realized the scale you were suggesting. IMHO you have the scale mixed up. The battle field should be

1500 m and the points should be 400. This would truly be small unit action. I feel the other way that you suggest will be a parking lot slaughter, no one will ever have a shot miss something in those crowded conditions.

Right now I am playing a 300 pt QB pbem on a medium map, full trees, full hills, village, 25 turns. This is totally infantry action of a platoon plus some support, mg or on map mortar.

In addition we are playing Franko's True Combat Rules.

For anyone who remembers the game AMBUSH !

this is the action that you saw in your minds eye when you played that game.

Excited Toad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Dear mensch,

I was very enthusiastic until I realized the scale you were suggesting. IMHO you have the scale mixed up. The battle field should be

1500 m and the points should be 400. This would truly be small unit action. I feel the other way that you suggest will be a parking lot slaughter, no one will ever have a shot miss something in those crowded conditions.

Right now I am playing a 300 pt QB pbem on a medium map, full trees, full hills, village, 25 turns. This is totally infantry action of a platoon plus some support, mg or on map mortar.

In addition we are playing Franko's True Combat Rules.

For anyone who remembers the game AMBUSH !

this is the action that you saw in your minds eye when you played that game.

Excited Toad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it really depends on what you want (how's that for a non sequitur?) for a very short TCP/IP game, you need a certain troop density, otherwise you end up either ignoring large parts of the map (bit counterproductive) or prance about without getting anywhere. The time parameter is as important as map and force size.

I just did a 320x320 map with a 1,500 pt total force on it. 15 turns, could be a nice little game if it works (off for testing with the lads now). You even have to think about your approaches.

It can be done, I am sure, even though you would probably say I have the figures wrong and it should be a 320x320 points game on a 1,500m total map . :D

This dropped of the first page.. but I wanted to let developers know that there is another small game player looking for small quick battles.

I agree about having somewhat higher troop density for a small map. Things get very interesting very fast... and then end.

Maybe not realistic, but exciting from turn 2 to turn 15.... instead of interesting (fighting wise) from turn 10-30.

I have a 7 month old boy and between work and him (and keeping my wife happy) I don't have enought time for big games.

Scott Karch

Glad you like the idea karch I got two done, waiting on reports of testing. Germanboy has one done which I played, damn fun that was and only took 20minutes to finish the whole thing (15 rounds). Berli has one done which he sent in but I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but knowing berli its going to be evil. smile.gif

and more to come I will thing by monday or so there will be a new section "Bite Battles™" (which are good tcp/ip games) and tourney battles (which none are yet in but I'll pack them in the same area.)

mensch

[Edited cuz I'm tired and made mistakes night all. smile.gif]

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: mensch ]

Mensch, I really like your idea of the micro scenarios. As the one we are currently in is still up for grabs, we shall continue. But if we do another one afterwards, I am all for the short and sweet type. I would much rather play 2 or 3 smaller games, than one large one. That way, if something goes badly, you aren't forced into a long grueling battle with your plans hopelessly shattered. So, as soon as I finish mauling you in this one, save one of Berli's for us to test.

Consider this a friendly bump for my (cough)esteemed(cough) opponent.