How many different subsets of troops should Cm2 have ?

I assume the germans will have the same number of groupings SS ,Heer ,Volkstrum ,Fallschirmjager and Gebirgsjager .I would like to see the addition of Luftwaffe ground troops .I assume that each axis Minor will have their own grouping don't see the need for more than one grouping for countries like Finland or Italy .For Soviets would like to see Guards ,Nkvd ,Paratroopers ,Naval Infanrty and regular red army . Any others you thionk need to be included ?

Hmm...did the NKVD actively participated in battles? I think they did with some, but mostly they just kept to the back. Quick, someone with more knowledge, where there any major battles that the NKVD stepped in to assist the main fighters?

Otherwise they would not be included as they would be "outside CM2's scale" or somefink.

German should include

Luftwaffe Field Divisions - blue uniforms and regular helmets, brown equipment

Strafbattaillons (Punishment battalions)(ok, I'm kidding about this one - I'm surprised Sven Hassel's name hasn't come up yet - but that's just as well!)

Elite infantry - Grossdeutschland (Die Feuerwehr) - morale and skill of SS units but in Army uniforms. Be neat to have seperate sleeve .bmps so you can have them in cufftitles, just like the Gebirgsjager badges...

I don't know how much infantry companies changed between 1941 and 1944 but I am guessing the number of different squad types for those years will be few in number; I think the big changes began once weapons like the StG 44, K43 etc. became widespread issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

German should include

Luftwaffe Field Divisions - blue uniforms and regular helmets, brown equipment

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, I must have it wrong. I thought the inexperienced Luftwaffe troops had brown pants... especially useful for when they first make contact with the enemy.

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

The NKVD did fight in several battles actually.

Kerch penninsula, The NKVD landed there with regular red army troops and some Naval troops.

They also fought in the Lenningrad region. Lake Ilmen and Lake Lagoda.

There were others, but don't remember the rest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They also fought at Stalingrad, I'm not sure if they were supposed to or just got stuck on the west bank and had to. Evidently they fought quite well although one or two broke and ran and faced the same consequences from their erstwhile comrades as the regulars did.

Sub groups

I would suggest for the Italians

A seperate category for Milizia Volontara Sicurezza Nazionale "Blackshirts" These fascist units were better equipped ,trained and motivated (compared to normal Italian units).

Some consideration could also be for the elite Alpine (not sure if any fought in Russia) and the Bersglieri.

I'll add elite Luftwaffe ground troops (ie Panzerkorps Hermann Goering) to the list. Would they be considered Luftwaffe Panzergrenadiers? As distinct from the leg infantry of the standard LW Field Division....

Russian marines would be cool, good idea. I would like to see Italian troops differentiated too, another good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Finish Sissi?

Are you kiding?

Explain !!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Sissi (Called Sissu in some sources) were Finland's very elite troops. They wreaked havoc behind Russian lines with their long range ski patrols and raids.

Note I said Sissi, nor "Sissy" ;)

Gyrene

If Finns get ski troops, Soviets should as well. Of course, that would be later in the war. Soviets learned the about fighting in winter quite well after Finland had been more or less subdued.

I dont think "tank riders" had their own TO&E. That's just like what we have now in CM, when you get a squad on an M4 and ride 'em about a bit until an MG42 rattles them off.

You can't forget the partisans. Or for that matter German cavalry or police divisions for fighting them. That could probably be its own little side game though. Or else you could put in the troops from the Dirlewanger and Kaminski brigades and give them a permanent drunk status. That would make a Warsaw Uprising scenario interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

You can't forget the partisans. Or for that matter German cavalry or police divisions for fighting them. That could probably be its own little side game though. Or else you could put in the troops from the Dirlewanger and Kaminski brigades and give them a permanent drunk status. That would make a Warsaw Uprising scenario interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or the scumbags from Prinz Eugen....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

(snip...)

Dirlewanger and Kaminski brigades and give them a permanent drunk status. That would make a Warsaw Uprising scenario interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

May you elaborate where you see the connetion between "permanent drunk status" and Warsaw Uprising?

I'll very appreciate it.

Straif

Just wondering, did Guards units actually get different equipment? Perhaps theirs was better or in greater abundance than the average Red Army units.

If they didn't have different equipment or uniforms, I see no point in making them a seperate group of soldiers.

Guards had pretty much the same uniforms (apart from unit badges etc), but they definitely got the best equipment - for example IS-2's would be Guards-only after mid 1944 (All heavy tank units were made Guard in early 1944).

However as to beign better soldiers - maybe not. If you read the IS85/IS1/IS2 thread I started today carefully there's soem accounts of IS2's in combat. One of them mentions that IS2 crews were unusual in that they had 2 officers (Commander and driver) and all other crewmembers weer Sergeants, however some of the crews had no experience of heavy tank operations.....I suspect this means they weer T-34 or light tank vets who had been through armour school rather than through KV or Churchill regiments.

Probably as vets of other armour units they'er better than raw recruits tho'.