OK, so I'm an old fart - Is anybody else? (O/T)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys all seen those lists that tell you about the people that are starting college this year? It's supposed to show you how old you are getting, heh heh. I think it was originally done by the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin, but I'm sure others have done the same thing. Here is the one from '99:

1. The people who are starting college this past fall across the nation were born in 1980.

2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and did not know he had ever been shot.

3. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

4. Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.

5. There has been only one Pope. They can only really remember one president.

6. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

7. They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them, not a movie.

8. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

9. Tianamen Square means nothing to them.

10. Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

11. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

12. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.

13. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.

14. They have never owned a record player.

15. They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.

16. Star Wars looks very fake to them, and the special effects are pathetic.

17. There have always been red M&M's and blue ones are not new. There used to be beige ones?

18. They may have heard of an 8 track, but probably never have actually seen or heard one.

19. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

20. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents. What about 6-cent airmail stamps?

21. They have always had an answering machine.

22. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV.

23. They have always had cable.

24. There have always been VCR's, but they have no idea what BETA is.

25. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

26. They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.

27. Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.

28. The Tonight Show has always been with Jay Leno

29. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

30. Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

31. They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is football player.

32. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

33. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WW1, WW2 or even the Civil War.

34. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

35. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

36. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

37. They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel, " or "de plane, de plane!"

38. They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. is.

39. The Titanic was found? I thought we always knew where it was.

40. Michael Jackson has always been white.

41. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups.

42. Mickey D's never came in Styrofoam containers.

43. There has always been MTV

I'd like to see what you guys here could add to this list. I'd add that most of them probably never went to a drive-in movie.

They were spared the heartbreak of watching the fall of Saigon...

------------------

"The whole of Scotland will rejoice if the commanding officer of the Canadian Army could see fit that the taking of Saint-Valery is accomplished by the Highland Division. I am sure that the 2nd Canadian Division will attend to Dieppe satisfactorily."

-- General Sir Bernard Law Montgomery, Aug. 20, 1944

32 and in no hurry to give up my games.I admit I get some funny looks when I tell people I like to play video games. But, you know what? These are the type of games I dreamed about while growing up, and now I'm going to enjoy them. biggrin.gif

------------------

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. "Gomer Pyle"

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Subvet, I appreciate your list but it is erroneous in some ways, you fail to take into account some of the spoken of generation actually took an interest in the world around them. smile.gif

Funny thing is the most significant thing I remember from the 1980's was watching "Return of the Jedi" on the big screen... well okay I just remember seeing Ewoks but they were in a giant forest and they did some stuff... and okay I admit I was too young and fell asleep through most of the movie. But its the fact of the matter. biggrin.gif

Been in this world since '81 and hope to stay awhile!

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Subvet:

Have you guys all seen those lists that tell you about the people that are starting college this year? It's supposed to show you how old you are getting, heh heh. I think it was originally done by the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin, but I'm sure others have done the same thing. Here is the one from '99:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, come now. Born in '79, and 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 30, 33, 34, 35, 36, 40, 41, and 42 are totally, totally bogus. Give it a few years.

I was aware of Iran-Contra while it was happening, I think, or at least when the trials were happening. I vaguely remember that wonderful picture with Reagan and the bullet. The shuttle explosion was played over and over and over on tvs left on in classrooms. I remember gettting Pong, I think when I was 2, and an Atari 400 I think when I was 4. This evil guy at this daycare place I was in would play the 'Green Record', horrible and scratched up and nasty-sounding, when we were bad. We had a crappy TV, black and white, no remote. Video stores I went into as a kid often had a full half of the store devoted to beta. Rollerblades were introduced when I was a kid, and we thought they were kinda silly. Another daycare guy told stories about his buddy stepping on a mine, and there not being enough left of him to fill his helmet. Many of us know enough to listen to good rock music, even if it is old. Michael Jackson was big when I was a kid, and there was a big stink and heated playground arguments about him being a 'wannabe' white. And it was us, preaching environmentalism at our parents, that got McDonalds to switch from styrofoam.

And most of this shouldn't be any different for guys a year younger than me. This isn't the stuff we're barely too young to remember... Dude, like this is the stuff we grew up with!

-John

38. First game was France 1940 - I loved playing the "idiot's plan" solitaire. The guys I used to play with, and still do are about 10 years older than me. They used to pick me up for our wargaming club since I couldn't yet drive.

Still playing with some of those guys on the net, even though I am 500 miles away. One of them recently refered to the group as the "nifty almost fifty gamers."

They are old tongue.gif

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

[This message has been edited by USGrant (edited 12-16-2000).]

S!

I am 38 years young.

CM is my first tactical wargame and i LOVE IT !

Normally, i am into flightsims like EAW, FS:SDOE and Aces High.

The last weeks since i have the full game, i am hooked to CM.

I think i will last for a long time, the possiblilities are endless i think.........

Monty aka Moose_EAF66

CO 66 ShAP

European Air Force

www.europeanaf.org

Hehheh, 3rd or 4rth time we're doing this.

35! Next year I'm planning on getting 34 again. biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

32 here and have been wargaming since 1975 with my first copy of Tactics II. I still have that copy and love it. As for all my other wargames I have mostly given them away since they had been collecting dust since I had been married. The fellas who got my wargames are now thinking of getting rid of them also since he does nothing but computer wargames....

Bah! I wave my hand at many of you. I'm not called 'Senility' on the Peng Challenge for nothing. There are older posters here, but none as dim. You younger people, knock that ****e off and go do something useful. I'm at the very age that I dreamt I would die, when I was 11 years old. One more year, and I chances are I'll live to 55.

------------------

Tremble, tyrants and you perfidious opprobrium of all the parties,

Tremblez! your parricidal projects finally will receive their prices!

But these sanguinary despots, But these accomplices of Berli,

All these tigers which, without pity, Bauhaus the centre of their mother!

We will enter the career When our elder is not there any more,

We will find there their dust And the trace of their virtues