OK, so I'm an old fart - Is anybody else? (O/T)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew, glad I read everyone else's post first. I am defintely at the elderly end of the scale [46]. But to make up for it I smoke and drink, too (scotch and menthols). I can remember seeing Eisenhower (President, not General, you twits) on the 12" diagonal B&W Zenith. I also did air raid drills and hid on command under schooldesks in '61, when Castro and Kruschchev were comin' to gitcha. Came up in the first third of the draft lotto the year they stopped the draft, volunteered for tanks in Germany after Nam was over (I was Major T's age).

And I just wiped the AI in CE as Ami's with minimum casualties and am basking in the warm afterglow like the sole rooster in the henhouse. cool.gif

Major Tom,

I am 25 and you took the words right out of my mouth. It makes me feel like a grumpy old man at an overly early age. We do always have the Simpsons though right?

[This message has been edited by Maus (edited 01-13-2000).]

It is not just age to me, it is this whole idea that computer games should be left to the kids. Hmph.

I'm 34, I'm married, I have two kids with the third due in April. I'm a lawyer with a medium-sized (60 attorneys) firm in downtown Los Angeles. I have an office in one of the skyscrapers, and various other accoutrements that supposedly show maturity and accomplishment.

For Christmas, my beloved wife made sure everyone kept the clothes and other boring stuff to a minimum, so I ended up with eight new computer games and a force feedback joystick. It was the best Christmas ever! She understands that this is something I really enjoy, it is how I choose to blow off steam, and I'm not going to change. Sorry, she is not for sale. biggrin.gif

Hundminen, go tell your wife she needs to learn that computer gaming, especially CM, is an acceptable and good adult hobby. Then, you can sleep on my sofa until she's ready to let you back into the house.

------------------

Brad "Supertanker" Wohlenberg

Getting 33 in February !

(A "Schnaps-Zahl", as we say here in good COLD germany).

And I feel younger and younger the more I read the posts in this thread wink.gif

But what I think, the overall consens of these posts is:

Our bodies are older than others, but our minds are younger than some teenagers out there !

AND THAT IMHO IS A GOOD THING !!!

Bye,

Soma

Guest John Maragoudakis

35 and counting. Hey, the reserves were recruiting downtown and it crossed my mind. Would be nice to play around with the M16s rather than the FNC1s I had at 17.

Real Age..........................38

Wife's interpretation.............puberty

Age I feel........................puberty

Friends interpretation............Can Ed

come out and play

Coworkers interpretation..........barely

puberty and get off that darned

computer

Boss..............................Well at

least he knows what he's doing

in emergencies, between being on

the computer, and oh well>>>>

ed

Well my children, the count started for me in 1937. I had the pleasure of hearing old Adolf gently addressing his audience on the shortwave band. I saw an AAA emplacement or two set near my fathers employer, an oil refinery. Someone thought a sub might launch a plane for a little dirty work. Weren't those folks imaginative? I huddled with my family once or twice as the Civil Defense fellows practiced blackout. Of my mother's large family a goodly number of my cousins were 1st person participants in that quaint fracus, mostly in the Pacific theater.

Somehow that all that impressed me and has never ceased.

It seems to me that the increasing urbanization of our citizenry, social tangents that are being pursued, and the disassociation of our youngsters from things military is promising to leave the country rather short in so many fundimental things necessary to a functional defense capability.

This is not fundimentally new in our experence as we have always pitched readiness out the window as quickly as possible after the last round was fired and suffered often from it. It is just that this time a lot of what it took to recover is much weakened. For one thing, we have a Congress being filled with people who never served in any capacity in the military and who have no clue. All those silly military rituals that make some sense to those well acquainted with them look so ridiculous to the jaundiced eye of the uninitiated. Then, too many of our high military leaders have got where they are

by executive gaming skills rather than by a clearly demonstrated superior warrior spirit and capability. Strangely, these are the guys who are often more reluctanct to say sickem to our troops than the heads overly filled with pacific idealism so ready to stick their noses into someone else's business.

Now, that is a might serious note to inject into our forum of fun. However, it is encourgaging to me to see that something of a core continues to seek some kind of contact with the sometimes unpleasant realities. We may be playing, but there is that rather dangerous world out there, still capable of bringing together our old companions of ignorance, stupidity and hubris into another too familiar round.

Let us now go off to war via the better vehicle for that pursuit than the real thing, CM.

Ha, this thread makes me feel really young again! cool.gif

In the past couple of months I've gotten the impression that all computer gamers are about 10 years old nowadays. I was already feeling like an old man with my 23 years wink.gif

I guess the older people get the more they enjoy those non- click-like-crazy-all-over-your-screen games.

It's just sad that these games tend to require pretty much time frown.gif

Dschugaschwili

Cool posts. The higher age skew explains why this forum hasnt degenerated into "Rawks! Dewd! Fazzin!" etc etc that i see elsewhere. smile.gif

I still rememeber thinking how cool it would be to live in the year 2000 then realizing I would be 34 then effectively dead smile.gif

The moment i realized I was "mature" is when I was chatting with a girlfreind of mine who i was dating about how star wars was one of my favourite films and asking her if she saw it in the theatre when it was released. She said "Oh I wasnt born when that was out." I doubt I have had a more severe trauma to my phyche in my life. wink.gif

_dumbo

[This message has been edited by dumbo (edited 01-13-2000).]

Guest Gunnerdream

Hundminen, you whippersnapper, I've got you beat by 3 years.(I'm 40)

My wife say's I suffer from"Peter Pan" syndrome because I refuse to grow up. I have a recording studio in my basement full of guitars, drums, keyboards, etc. and I bang the walls nightly. I'm working on expanding my collection of WWII German 1:72 aircraft...why no...I DON'T sniff the glue...why do you ask?

I also run daily. I play computer games. I'm an avid history buff although I don't pretend to delve into it as thoroughly as some of the rest of you. In short, I live my life the way I want(except for the job, which I consider a mild daily annoyance)and I refuse to listen to people who think I should"get a haircut and stop playing silly games". Life is too f***ing short for that attitude!

Peace,

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Rob - I see you're another "junior member" over 40 - 2nd childhood huh?

Nik - I spent 31 years in Chch, including 12 getting a BA part time (History of course, mostly WW1 & 2 :)), and would shift there tomorrow if they'd pay me what I get here! :-(

Fionn - memory doesn't fail - your body finally learns to get immune to it!

Mike

I am happy to acknowledge Sixty-four summers-man and beast. And Im determined to carry on until either I win a scenario or Fionn is unanimously voted "Mr Humility"----whichever comes first--and its just got to be the scenario victory.

In regard to aging, I agree wholeheartedly with the assessment, I read recently, that the worst thing about getting old is not the false teeth or the grey hair or all the aches and pains but------the realization that you have become totally invisible to teenage girls.------mind you,looking back I think I was pretty much that as a teenage boy.

In conclusion you can all clearly see why I am even more desperate than the rest of you for this game to appear as soon as is humanly possible--these days I dont even risk buying unripe bananas.

Guest BigAlMoho

46... My father and an uncle are WWII vets and I lost an uncle in Korea... Personally, I play guitar, golf and war games...

l

I am hitting the big 41 here, that makes me 287 in dog years. I also have been told to grow up by my wife, to which I replied, but that's the reason you married me. Will let you know when I get off the couch. biggrin.gif

To all the Omegas that are waiting to hear when the game goes gold, i suggest the following chant:

Pershings, and King Tigers, and Wespes...oh my..

Tim Orosz, Raider

Combat Mission Raider Team

Wild Bill's Raiders

The Gamers Net: http://www.thegamers.net

You know, you're getting old when:

You can live without sex but not without glasses.

Your back goes out more than you do.

Your blod pressure is higher than your IQ.

You start to think Cocoon was a great movie.

You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.

You buy a compass for the dash of your car.

You are proud of your lawn mower.

You sing along with the elevator music.

Your ears are hairier than your head.

Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.