OK, so I'm an old fart - Is anybody else? (O/T)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming up on the big 40 this year... and trying to decide whether to dodge the "DeathMask" party or not...

Started with Kreigspiel at 12 yrs old, been playing *something* ever since.

Best quote I have is from the SkyDiving club in Queensland, Australia.

Growing older is inevitable...

Growing up is optional.

I have most definitely decided on the optional path. smile.gif

Guest Kettle Black

Ummm...

31 actually, far too old and wise to let anyone at work know I really enjoy staying up at night commanding troops on a board/computer or flying WW1 planes over the virtual fields of Flanders wink.gif

There is no way I would live through the dark months here in Sweden without CM from now on.

------------------

Kettle Black

"The End? With practically everyone still on their feet? Over my dead body!"

The Player, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead"

I am 39 and I will continue playing games for another 39 years. Hopefully, even longer God willing.

------------------

leave the gun, don't forget the cannolies.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Stone:

34 and sliding fast....

Anyone have a cold Bass Ale handy?? (sorry to my European friends about the "cold" part).

Stoner<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're confusing european and english smile.gif

27, When I told my girlfriend I like to play wargames she gave me that strange kind of look like I was weird or something. Now I don't really care. Sometimes she gets pissed

that I spend more time with my soldiers smile.gif than with her. I think being able to enjoy myself playing games it's a gift that a lot of people don't have. I want to stay gamer forever smile.gif

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hundminen:

So is anybody out there my age or older?

Hundminen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll admit to having a birthday on 1/6/50. Guess the math makes me much older. My kids say ancient, but I still can out think them on CM's beta.

i read someOnce where 'the One who dies with the most toys, wins.." this is a perfect motto for most "men who wold be boys"

I will be 52 in feb. and proud to be young at heart~

so, are there NO WOMEN that play CM???? or are they just no allowed? hahahaha

Well I'm 52...but soon to log another 'mile'

I can't remember beyond a minute ago wink.gif But I do remember to have my 'drink' with supper (can't trust the water you know), and have my brandy with coffee to make sure the food settles well in my ole belly biggrin.gif My hands can't 'twitch' like they ... well they never could twitch much, so RTS was a bad dream come true. CM has brought back the joy's of what Squard Leader was to me 30 some years ago (or whenever smile.gif(I loved Tobruk too!) Although I've pretty much played every computer wargame (and boardgames of yesteryear)around. Like ACW and Napoleonics too (plug!)

Donald

p.s. O.K. I flight-sim too when I can tell up from down...

I'm 4 rolleyes.gif

Actually, I have a wonderful wife that sees my hobby(s) as my only outlet from a stressful, time-consuming career. Like SuperTanker above, I had a great Christmas. My parents gave me two HASL Modules and the wife set me up with SPR video and other wargaming niceties. What a wonderful woman.

Oh, almost forgot, I'm just shy of 31. 2 kids.

Preacher biggrin.gif

Guest Tom punkrawk

Speaking of girlfriends looking at you funny when you tell them you play war games,try telling them you reenact!haha but heck when I joined the group they told me it's not something to go pick chicks up w/ smile.gif

Heh, I'm 17 and seem to have more patience then some of you "old timers." smile.gif

29. Another Kiwi (Wgtn). And another with a moderately understanding/moderately confused girlfriend (with regard to gaming that is. Otherwise she's pretty sharp - I have to say that, she might be watching ... biggrin.gif )

Oh, and ditto on the "alive at 2000" comment from above. Argghh tongue.gif

Jon

------------------

Ubique

34... Something I've noticed for the last few years is that kids in their ealy 20's get stressed about life... Out of college (or nearing the end of the 7 year plan... that's how I did it, anyway) and then either working at a crappy job and barely scrapeing by, or scoring a good job.. but it's your first real job and you stress for the next few years. I was in my late 20's and early 30's when most of my friends and had good incomes and started to figure out how to fill the empty spaces... My later years have been way more fun since I figured out the sometimes precarious balance of entertainment to sleep to work.

Oh, and to the 20 somethings here decrying popular culture? Guess what, the mid 90's were a wasteland, too. Nothing new since Jane's Addiction broke up and Goodfellas was released tongue.gif

(well... except for voodoo cards and Combat Mission!)

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 01-13-2000).]

I'm 38 (around the average I guess)and blessed with a tolerant wife.

Fascinating thread btw! As a long-time lurker you can't help but form mental images of the regular (and some irregular tongue.gif) posters. I guess I need to re-adjust some of those.