Update on TCP/IP patch

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roborat:

I like the timer idea. Real officers & NCOs didn't have the luxury to study the map from 300 angles and formulate detailed actions every 60 seconds. They were given a task and a time, and that was it. So the timer will make the game much more realistic, I think,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BUt then Real officers and NCOs have much less things to worry about (err.... different things to worry about, maybe) minute by minute. even a Battalion commanding officer doesn't have to worry about each squad's steps. When playing Battallion sized battles, 10 minutes is a little slim if you ask me. That's a generous amount of time for most battles, but for some, South of Sword for one, it might be a little slim. I usually spend less than 5 minutes writing orders for even the largest battle. If it's spread out and there are several firefights going on at once and maybe some long range DF arty sniping going on I might watch the movie all the way through once, but maybe watch parts of that minute several times not from angle after angle, but just to get an overview of what happened in different parts ofthe map.

In short, I think that the idea of a timer option is nice, but would like to see some longer time limits for those really big scenarios without having to go unlimited.

I wonder if it's too late to make time limits a configurable item. An open field in the scenario setup screen and you enter a number between say 01 and 99 (minutes, not that you would want to play a game with 99 minute pauses) so that players can make the decision based on their style of play.

------------------

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" - G.W. Bush, January 2000

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 11-03-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Any1 come up with a proper set of drinking rules for cm tcp/ip?

I suggest:

Lose a tank - skull 1 can of beer

Lose a recon car - skull 1/2 can (could be a good way of stopping gamey recon wink.gif

Lose an infantry man - 1 mouth full of beer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUMAN WAVE ATTACK, HUMAN WAVE ATTACK , HUMAN WAVE ATTACK

Actually now i think of it... a mate and I used to play A LOT of the board game Axis and Allies. 1 day we had the bright idea of combining drinking with it. The final rules were:

Lose 1 infantry = 1 shot glass of beer

Lose 1 tank/fighter/bomber = 2 shot glasses of beer

All I remember from that game is by the 5th round we were both WICKEDLY pissed. Shot glasses add up quick when you lose 20+ men in an average round. The big russian - german land battles made u feel he pain of ya troopers smile.gif My mate was making attack decisions based on how much he was going to have to skull because he was nigh on vomitting smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smoker1:

Ten minutes max before going unlimited doesn't appeal to me. I would like to see at least a choice for 15 minutes. 20 minutes would be even better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this.

A useful time limit is about one minute per platoon or five units, for the side with the most units. 10 platoons is about two rifle companies, without transport vehicles.

For an attacking battalion you'll need 20 minutes.

The bonus side to this time limit is that it will add some realistic "friction" to larger battles, reducing average intensity and slow the battle down a bit. It will take more turns to do the job, but the gaming time will probably be shorter. I love it biggrin.gif

My suggestion, to be implemented later on, are:

- to add options for 15, 20, 25 and 30 minute orders, for those who play large scenarios.

- to add this time limitation option also to the other types of play. (Hotseat, PBEM and single player, the latter to have some practice in fast decisions.)

- to allow different time limits for each player. Defender need less than attacker, newbie player need more than an experienced. (With equal time limit on both sides, giving a newbie playing attacker extra units as bonus might be counter productive...)

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 11-03-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

Hey, i still want to know who won the damn game, Charles or Steve?

PeterNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sit down Peter - you of all people should know that Cpl. Grammont won it. Unless there is an even scarier Sgt.Moylan AI cheat.

Good news Steve and Charles, look forward to this. I knew it was the right idea not to sell my iBook.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-03-2000).]

Hi,

the entire thing sounds great.

I never thought I would ever again be cracking under the strain of waiting for a program/patch to be released the way I was for CM1. Just thinking about sending my friends Panzers up in flames, live on the net, has me jobbing out of my seat.

And I thought I was a mature middle aged man that had seen it all and never got excited by anything! Not when it comes to CM.

All the best,

Kip.

Great!

Wow! Just Fanatastic.....

I'm wondering if I'm the only one here who would like to see turns longer than 10 minutes?

I know I'm being picky but....

"There is an instant messaging system that works well and there is a variable timer with turn time limitations of none, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 5 min, or 10 min per turn. First playback does not count against the counter, but after it has finished playing once you are on the clock. Meaning that if you have 2 minute turns, watching the movie THREE times will chew up your entire time limit. Hope that makes sense "

Yes that does make complete sense.....and if I may, I would like to request longer turns of 15 and 20 minutes as well. and a pause is a good idea, for those emergency sitautions or a save or some way to stop but not forfeit or surrender?

Anyone else? smile.gif

For those BIG battles when we like to savouroir every turn?

But Again THANKS for the update and that sounds like GREAT news!

Like Everyone else here I can't wait for my first TCP/IP game with Manheim Tanker smile.gif !

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-03-2000).]

Awesome news smile.gif Great work again BTS, I have been dying to get this feature smile.gif

For all those wanting longer timers -- this seems to defeat the whole purpose of internet play, I want to play fast paced games like EVILINA sissyboy (whom I intend to thrash profoundly) 30 min + timers might as well be a pbem tongue.gif

thanks again

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Thanks for the update Steve. I like the timer idea, but 10 minutes is too short for large scenarios. The variable timer concept, 00-99, seems best. Or maybe large scenarios should be left to PBEM. What's your opinion?

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Oh boy, wife is gonna be super pissed off now. Before I was using the excuse

"Buuuut huuunny..I have to turn these emails around, they ARE important!"

Now it's gonna be:

"Buuuut huuuny, I CAN'T step away from the computer, it penalizes me!!"

Oh well, she'll live. smile.gif

There go my weekends, along with an additional few hours on weeknights.

GREAT NEWS! Thanks for the update.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

Has there been any discussion on how to find each other for TCP/IP play? I'm operating under the assumption that the connection will be peer to peer so I'm thinking that you're going to have to know someone who's willing to play and exchange IP's with them. This will work fine with your PBEM buddies but if they're not available will you have to sit back and cry? I'd hate to not be able to 'skull a beer' because I had no opponent to lose a tank to. A 'GameSpy' like utility would be cool, but I don't think it would work without a game server involved. So maybe a site where you can go to look for live opponents who are ready to play will be necessary. Of course I'm just guessing about this, so it may not even be an issue.

Cool. Now instead of taking 3 weeks to get my butt kicked I can get it kicked all in one night. smile.gif

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Great news, Steve. smile.gif I'm looking forward to the tcp/ip, as well as

the many fixes and tunings that will be in the patch. Poor Charles,

an Ace programmer's work is never done. wink.gif

I would also like to voice my strong support for longer time limit

options. If I'm in a large battle with an opponent, it can easily

take me 10 minutes to just watch all the different fire fights that are

going on all over the battlefield, so I know what is going on. I would like

to see either a timer where the players can pick whatever time limit

they want (0-99) or at least a lot more options than were listed above.

15, 20, 25, and 30 minute options at least, it can be left to the players'

judgement to pick the time that best suits the current battle and

their individual tastes. smile.gif

Steve, will tcp/ip feature an audible message to let you know your

opponent's turn is done? Let's say you get your orders done very fast,

but the other player has a lot more going on and needs the full time

limit to issue orders. You may want to go get a sandwhich while you wait.

If there was a sound alert that let you know the other player had finished

his turn (he just hit the "GO" button), you could safely leave the

computer and turn the sound up a bit, knowing you'll hear the instant

he's done and can get back to your PC fast. I think this is a really

important feature when your playing a "live" strategy game. It's not like

playing a FPS where you have to constantly be there to play. There will

be plenty of times when you can step away from CM for a few

spare minutes and during those times it will be necessary to have an audio

warning you can hear from far away from the PC (obviously, you would

adjust the volume on your speakers to suit the situation), so you know

when all orders have been completed for that turn and you can hurry back

to the computer.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Any1 come up with a proper set of drinking rules for cm tcp/ip?

I suggest:

Lose a tank - skull 1 can of beer

Lose a recon car - skull 1/2 can (could be a good way of stopping gamey recon wink.gif

Lose an infantry man - 1 mouth full of beer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, with these rules I'd be killing my own men on purpose.

Since the who purpose of a drinking game is to get drunk, you should rewrite the rules so that there is incentive. In other words:

Kill enemy tank - skull 1 beer

Kill enemy recon - skull 1/2 can

Kill 1 enemy infantry - 1 mouth full

Lose your own recon - no beer for next 3 turns

This system awards you(with beer) for good play and penalizes you (no beer) for bad play.