Update on TCP/IP patch

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

OK, I have seen a couple threads asking about this, so I guess it is time for an update...

Last night Charles and I played the first ever Internet game of Combat Mission. Worked like a champ biggrin.gif

There were a few minor glitches and we discovered the need to redo some of the interface (minor stuff). But other than that, it worked really well. Here is the best part you folks are going to love...

When both players end their turns, the data updates for both machines at once. Meaning that you do not have to wait for one player to get the full upload before it starts playing back on your system! Not only that, but the way Charles coded this up, the quantity of data being sent back and forth is FAR less than with a PBEM game. So turn processing zips by REALLY fast.

We played a modified version of the Last Defense scenario. I was on a very crappy connection using a 28.8 modem connection (line noise reduced the throughput by 1/2). When we both hit "Go!" it was almost like I was playing solo on my machine. There was hardly any extra time spent waiting for the turn to process.

There is an instant messaging system that works well and there is a variable timer with turn time limitations of none, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 5 min, or 10 min per turn. First playback does not count against the counter, but after it has finished playing once you are on the clock. Meaning that if you have 2 minute turns, watching the movie THREE times will chew up your entire time limit. Hope that makes sense smile.gif

This system is VERY slick. So slick that many of you PBEMers that were saying that TCP/IP is no big deal might want to rethink things. I know I have wink.gif

OK... now... when do you all get a hold of it? No hard date, but very soon. This weekend our Beta Testers will have access to the TCP/IP build. Depending on how well the testing goes, and how long any issues they raise take to get fixed, will determine when we release the Beta Patch 1.1. My personal hope is another 2 weeks or less. So it won't be long smile.gif

Steve

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had any doubt there was gonna be another stellar performance by BTS.

Usually by now, I'm starting to get board with games I've owned as long as CM.

With CM, it seems like everyday I'm just getting started.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

Sheesh, spending all this time on something frivolous like the TCP/IP patch when you should have been correcting the 'flimsy' german armour, making Shermans 10 points a piece, and other such drastically important things along those lines.

wink.gif

Excellent news for the biggest TCP/IP crybaby on the board. Peng..strap on your helmet, grab a case of cheap beer and start smoking again you are in for some all night sessions. My dream of playing a best out of 3 game series in a drunken orgy of Internet violence is almost upon me. I'm giddy as a school girl.

Actually this will sound like a strange question coming from the aforementioned crybaby but..I wonder if this new system that condenses file sizes for TCP/IP transfer can be used to reduce file sizes for PBEM games in CM2 or a patch for CM1?

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Good news travels fast.

------------------

"NOW THE GENERAL WHO WINS A BATTLE MAKES MANY CALCULATIONS IN HIS TEMPLE ERE THE BATTLE IS FOUGHT. THE GENERAL WHO LOSES A BATTLE MAKES BUT FEW CALCULATIONS BEFOREHAND. THUS DO MANY CALCULATIONS LEAD TO VICTORY. AND FEW CALCULATIONS TO DEFEAT. HOW MUCH MORE NO CALCULATION AT ALL"

PEACOCKS PRINCIPLES OF WAR

Hey

Good enough news that I just may decide to come back to the CM world for a little while wink.gif

(on that note, hi everyone, I am still alive, just caught in the deathly grips of college... and loving every minute of it)

Oh, and Steve -

who won the game?

I look forward to butchering a few lucky few of you again after TCP/IP comes out wink.gif

who wants some wink.gif

-EridanMan

[This message has been edited by Eridani (edited 11-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eridani (edited 11-03-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Elvis:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I wonder if this new system that condenses file sizes for TCP/IP transfer can be used to reduce file sizes for PBEM games in CM2 or a patch for CM1?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might be possible. There is a problem though, and that would be an extra fileswap. At least the way the system is at the moment. This is why we can't easily drop it into CM1. For CM2 this shouldn't be a problem.

Steve

Where the hell is the wildlife?!?!? Ooops, that's LongBow 2, not CM1. smile.gif

One question Steve. If you have the timer going and you get interrupted (like your wife needs the computer for a minute), is there a pause button or something? Also, if both of you have to leave (like go to sleep or something trivial like that smile.gif), I assume you both have to save the game at the same spot? And when you come back the timer starts over?

Thanks for the update. You guys rock!

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Stevie baby,

Did you guys try over a LAN as well, or only internet play?

My 2 computers with LAN cards are sitting idle waiting for CM!!

Thanks for the update,

CDIC

Guest Big Time Software

Various answers...

For some reason we need to have a predictable timer (I think). But I will pass along the suggestion.

Pausing... hmmm... dunno about that. I'll pass it along.

Yes, LAN play was the first test and it worked just fine smile.gif

The final version of 1.1 will have many fixes that have been requested from folks. Top of the list is a fix for the Hull Down problem and fast recon. Some of these fixes will be in the 1.1 beta patch, but more will be in the final patch.

Steve

I like the timer idea. Real officers & NCOs didn't have the luxury to study the map from 300 angles and formulate detailed actions every 60 seconds. They were given a task and a time, and that was it. So the timer will make the game much more realistic, I think, not to mention adding immensely to the tension of the game. The player will have to formulate the initial plan of action, but once the game starts, he is essentially reacting to the battlefield in (almost) real time. I love it, can't wait for it to be available. I wasn't to optimistic until now, assuming TCP/IP would be as slow as PBEM is now.

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G&S

Having never played TCP/IP, I was wondering how you pause play and restart a game so that you don't have to finish a game in one sitting? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to internet play.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.