Reinstall on new machine

GraemeA

After my old Windows machine died,  I'm now up and running on a new  machine - what's the easiest way of installing everything I've bought (CMBN,CMFI , Red Thunder,SF2, Cold War  and an assortment of modules) ?

I have the disk from the old machine.

Thanks

I just did this by downloading the latest installation files on the BFC website and using the activation keys in my order history.  I did not have my old disk at the time so I now have fresh installs with no mods / extra battles / campaigns.  However I do now have access to my old disk again, except that it's a bit hit and miss at keeping connected.  Will get back to where I was at some point.  The good news is all PBEM games worked fine with the last files on Dropbox.

In your case it may be possible to just copy folders across, you could try it with one and see if it works.  Or wait for some knowledgeable fellow to turn up and confirm.

Edited by Vacillator

Progress stalled 😞

CMCW works, but CMFI and CMSF don't.  I activated both of them successfully (and the modules were shown as active  on the activate page), but they don't run. They just give me the activate screen.

This may be related to the fact that I only have one activation code for CMCW but have multiple for the others (4 for CMFI, 4 for CMSF, 8 for CMBN).

Does anyone know if I have to apply all the activation codes in the right sequence?

4 hours ago, GraemeA said:

Thanks Vacillator.

I copied the Battlefront folder from the old machine to the new and successfully activated CMCW. However there were no scenarios or campaigns, so something isn't right. 

Think I'll try doing what you did.

It's never a good idea to copy installations from one computer to another. It is always best to install fresh. Copying will usually trigger the anti-piracy software.

On 8/6/2023 at 4:15 AM, GraemeA said:

Progress stalled 😞

CMCW works, but CMFI and CMSF don't.  I activated both of them successfully (and the modules were shown as active  on the activate page), but they don't run. They just give me the activate screen.

This may be related to the fact that I only have one activation code for CMCW but have multiple for the others (4 for CMFI, 4 for CMSF, 8 for CMBN).

Does anyone know if I have to apply all the activation codes in the right sequence?

All keys are needed for all games except for CMBN. If you have the original Game Engine 1 and 2.0 Upgrade keys, you don't need them. But use every other key.

I just went through this process also.  Install base game from your original purchase download -- go to BFC-my account-my orders.  Then go to the patches page and install the latest.  Activation order doesn't matter to my knowledge.  My big dumb mistake was I thought the latest file on patch page had everything.  

So install the stuff from your original order, then the latest patch.  Then activate.  And you'll be losing battles in no time! -- perhaps that part is just me.  I had a rather nasty SF2-USMC battle yesterday that I would like to forget.  At least the fight before that one I did really well.  Win some, get smashed some.

11 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I was of the belief that the latest installers on the download page were all up to date, no need for patches.  It seemed to work that way for me as well.

The star of my experience (no surprises here) was @BFCElvis who sent me immediate assistance from the 19th hole.  What a star!

Yeah, he was great w me also, as I needed some new activiation keys.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

I was of the belief that the latest installers on the download page were all up to date, no need for patches.  It seemed to work that way for me as well.

The star of my experience (no surprises here) was @BFCElvis who sent me immediate assistance from the 19th hole.  What a star!

Correct. Anything that has a download for Game Engine 4 does not require any patching. They are full game installers. What the download is depends on how and when you purchased the game. Some people purchased when the game was at Game Engine 4. That's all they need. Some people purchased the games earlier and then got the 4.0 Upgrade. For them if they download and install the 4.0 Upgrade it is all that they need. 

Anyone not sure, just open a Help Desk ticket and we can hook you up.

Thanks everyone...

CMBN, CMFI and CMCW are all working with the right modules.

CMSF however is proving troublesome in spite of the 'green lights' on the activation page. Think I'll raise a help ticket, as my poor old head is spinning with activation codes. 🙂

Thanks again.

A very nice thing about the new partnership BFC has with Slitherine/Matrix and Steam is I believe you can take your keys for the games (at least the ones on the Matrix/Slitherine store and supported on Steam which are CMBN, CMBS, CMSF2, and CMCW), activate them on Matrix, then get a Steam key to activate them on that platform. Then Steam takes care of all updates and uninstall/reinstall on whatever machine you migrate to.

Yup. Also if I remember correct you get an additional two keys/activations every six months with your battlefront purchase. Either way you never have to worry about your activations even if you share your game with a friend. This is a well known secret. Just make sure they buy a game or two to support the series. :)

3 hours ago, GraemeA said:

Thanks everyone...

CMBN, CMFI and CMCW are all working with the right modules.

CMSF however is proving troublesome in spite of the 'green lights' on the activation page. Think I'll raise a help ticket, as my poor old head is spinning with activation codes. 🙂

Thanks again.

Without knowing who you are so that I can see your purchase history.......I am going to guess that you Upgraded to CMSF2. If that's the case, then you need tofollow these activation steps:

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/134202-cmsf2-getting-a-splash-screen-with-just-the-tank-firing-in-the-dark-heres-why/

Opening a ticket would probably have had all of the games up and running a week ago. 🙂 

On 8/8/2023 at 4:51 PM, BFCElvis said:

Without knowing who you are so that I can see your purchase history.......I am going to guess that you Upgraded to CMSF2. If that's the case, then you need tofollow these activation steps:

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/134202-cmsf2-getting-a-splash-screen-with-just-the-tank-firing-in-the-dark-heres-why/

Opening a ticket would probably have had all of the games up and running a week ago. 🙂 

Good guess, I did indeed upgrade to CMSF2. 

I had seen the post you linked to and  thought I  had followed the instructions, but who knows, maybe I screwed up.

Could I have "used up" my activation codes ?  Do you only get a limited number of tries ? Just curious about it.

4 hours ago, GraemeA said:

Good guess, I did indeed upgrade to CMSF2. 

I had seen the post you linked to and  thought I  had followed the instructions, but who knows, maybe I screwed up.

Could I have "used up" my activation codes ?  Do you only get a limited number of tries ? Just curious.

Each key comes with 4 activations. If you've exceeded that open a Help Desk ticket and send any key that doesn't have remaining activations and we can add some.

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, KG_SSpoom said:

now my old download links don't work

Can you still log on the BFC main site, the one with your account and order history?  If so the download links and codes will be there.

If you can't, I'm sure @BFCElvis can help you, as Phil said above.

PS I know your problem, I suddenly 'lost' my gaming laptop a few months ago and had to start again.  A bit painful but doable, and I now have a better laptop...

And Elvis helped me direct from the 19th hole on what was for me a Friday evening - I mention this at every opportunity as I was and am forever grateful ❤️.

• 2 weeks later...

A slight variation on this theme if I may.

I've also recently bought a new PC after my old one died. And want to re-install my games. CMBN, CMFB and CMRT look fine and ready to reload from my Orders page. However when I went back to Fortress Italy I got a massage saying "Invalid Link". has anyone else encountered the same problem? And, is there a workaround?

11 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

A slight variation on this theme if I may.

I've also recently bought a new PC after my old one died. And want to re-install my games. CMBN, CMFB and CMRT look fine and ready to reload from my Orders page. However when I went back to Fortress Italy I got a massage saying "Invalid Link". has anyone else encountered the same problem? And, is there a workaround?

Make sure that you're using Game Engine 4 versions to download and install. They are all-in-one full game installers and the only downloads you need for each game. For some people that means the 4.0 Upgrade for others they may have purchased the games already using Game Engine 4. Whichever applies to you is what you should use. Then you don't have to use the convoluted step by step installation method.