Reinstall on new machine

GraemeA

Reinstalling all the CM games on a new computer can be a bit of a pain. I've slowly started getting and activating Steam keys for all my games specifically for this reason. Though I have an external hard drive with folders for each of my CM games, since I'm not entirely sure if I can trust Steam to keep track of all of the mods and non-official scenarios I have from one PC to the next (can anyone who's gotten a new PC since getting the Steam version of a CM game confirm that the Steam cloud reliably keeps track of all of this?).

The downside to going all in on Steam is that it will tie me to the Slitherine release schedule, so I won't get new modules and battle packs as soon as they're released by Battlefront. But that's why I haven't uninstalled any of the non-Steam versions of my CM games just yet (so I currently have two versions of most of my CM games).

21 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

Reinstalling all the CM games on a new computer can be a bit of a pain.

It's actually super easy now. It used to be a pain. Now each game only needs 1 file/installer downloaded. After installing it you use the Activate New Products utility and enter your keys to activate. It's hard to be more easy. Steam is, after you've installed the game once. But other than that I can't think of an easier way to install a game. It's 2 steps:

1. Download and run installer

2. Activate

5 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

It's actually super easy now. It used to be a pain.

I would agree.  The only pain for me with a new laptop was 'do I have all of those mods and scenarios/campaigns' backed up somewhere, or do I have to go downloading them all again?'.   For me that meant minimal mods (like the UI for example) and a slow recovery of all scenarios and campaigns, but I could play the games almost immediately without them.

6 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Make sure that you're using Game Engine 4 versions to download and install. They are all-in-one full game installers and the only downloads you need for each game. For some people that means the 4.0 Upgrade for others they may have purchased the games already using Game Engine 4. Whichever applies to you is what you should use. Then you don't have to use the convoluted step by step installation method.

Thanks for the advice.

Just a bit more detail, I bought CMFI back in 2015, it was the Gustave Line bundle using Engine 2. And I've never upgraded it beyond that. Would that be why my original order's link doesn't work?

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Thanks for the advice.

Just a bit more detail, I bought CMFI back in 2015, it was the Gustave Line bundle using Engine 2. And I've never upgraded it beyond that. Would that be why my original order's link doesn't work?

No. All links should work. Open a Help Desk ticket and we'll sort it out. I'll need to get into your account and it's best not done on a public forum.