Combat Mission is so addictive!

Hi All, 

First post here, I'm a 44-year gamer who plays a bit of everything but my main interest is anything WW2. I've been playing Gary Grigbsy War in the East, Steel Division, Panzer Corp, Hell Let Loose, and pretty much anything related to WW2.

Took me until 2 weeks ago to actually hear about Combat Mission (probably did but never took note). I took the plunge and picked up Battle for Normandy and have already clocked up 120 hours and barely seemed to have scratched the surface. 

I am so amazed at how low profile this game is considering how addictive and rewarding it appears. I am already installing mods and now pay little interest in graphics, UI, and presentation. It really takes me back to a golden age when you actually bought a good game, book, or film and indulged yourself in it, and keep going back to it! 

1 hour ago, MustyFerret said:

Hi All, 

First post here, I'm a 44-year gamer who plays a bit of everything but my main interest is anything WW2. I've been playing Gary Grigbsy War in the East, Steel Division, Panzer Corp, Hell Let Loose, and pretty much anything related to WW2.

Took me until 2 weeks ago to actually hear about Combat Mission (probably did but never took note). I took the plunge and picked up Battle for Normandy and have already clocked up 120 hours and barely seemed to have scratched the surface. 

I am so amazed at how low profile this game is considering how addictive and rewarding it appears. I am already installing mods and now pay little interest in graphics, UI, and presentation. It really takes me back to a golden age when you actually bought a good game, book, or film and indulged yourself in it, and keep going back to it! 

Welcome to the CM addicts self-help forum. If you have questions or need help with anything this is the place to ask. 

now pay little interest in graphics, UI, and presentation

That's a fine trait to possess when talking about Combat Mission.

But yes, it's the finest tactical-level wargame out there, still. WEGO is brilliant, it must be said, and the command and control, ballistics and spotting are all top notch too in my view. Enjoy your new game(s). And welcome to the boards.

My first six months with the Combat Mission WW2 titles were almost definitely the highlight of my PC gaming life... and I started gaming a long time ago, like the Doom and Falcon 3.0 days in the early 90s, with DOS bootdisks, etc., and there've been several addictions along the way. CM was the most almost out of control addicted it ever got. 

In fact, I remember taking a secret trip / vacation when I first got CM (2014/15 for me) and locking myself in a hotel room for eight days just so that I could play it constantly and scratch that overwhelming itch. It was bliss! Hope it's that for you as well.

Edited by sttp

53 minutes ago, sttp said:

In fact, I remember taking a secret trip / vacation when I first got CM (2014/15 for me) and locking myself in a hotel room for eight days just so that I play it constantly and scratch that overwhelming itch. It was bliss! Hope it's that for you as well.

I wish I discovered CM during COVID Lockdown when I was "Working" from home! 

Welcome to the forum :)

My gaming journey started with Gunship (C64), Project Stealth Fighter (C64) & Red Storm Rising (C64).

Combat Mission is the best tactical wargame, in my humble opinion.

If you haven't discovered them already there are some great video guides made by Usually Hapless.

There is also the Battle drill site by Bil Hardenberger.

I've been playing since 2009. CMSF was my introduction to Combat Mission. I've played every single CM game since then as they were released, from CMBN, CMA, all the way to CMCW. And more recently I've started playing some of the legacy games, CMAK and CMBB. I think some people have a strong preference for either the WW2 or modern titles. But I play both (plus CMA and CMCW, which are neither really WW2 or modern, but right in the middle), and I really like getting a practical feel for the differences between WW2 and modern combat. Combat Mission is far from the only game I play (I'm excited to get home and try out Rule the Waves 3, which should have just released today). Basically anything with a strong claim to realistically model some domain of warfare will catch my interest. But Combat Mission is by far my favorite game. Nothing really comes close.

5 hours ago, MustyFerret said:

I've been playing Gary Grigbsy War in the East, Steel Division, Panzer Corp, Hell Let Loose, and pretty much anything related to WW2...

...Took me until 2 weeks ago to actually hear about Combat Mission (probably did but never took note)

Welcome aboard mate and enjoy!

Myself I took the plunge in CM one month ago after being aware of it for like 15 years...

Oh man you have played the monster War in the East! I gave it a try but did not get hooked.

Not wanting to divert you from CM, but just in case, Second Front by Microprose, released last january, is an excellent tactical wargame inspired by Advanced Squad Leader.

I tried War in the East. There was a lot I really liked about it. But I didn't like the alternating turn-based style of gameplay (as if we were still limited by a tabletop). It would have benefitted a lot from WEGO. I just don't understand why so many computer wargames are still trying to emulate tabletop wargames (surely the goal is to emulate war!).

Edit:  It's just impossible to get a sense of simultaneity (or any sort of accurate time flow) with alternating turns, particularly when you're moving one piece at a time (again, like it's a tabletop game). I get that it's impossible to have simultaneously executed turns on a tabletop, but there's just no reason not to have simultaneous turns on a computer. If someone could make WEGO mods for all of Gary Grigsby's games I really think I would give them a second look.

Edited by Centurian52

Yep which is why I was never able to get back into Steel Panthers, especially after discovering WEGO by Battlefront. Wite2 looks cool but it was very expensive for what you get. I can use it to help develop CM campaigns but I wonder just how historically accurate it is. From experience I know to check multiple sources which can be a total PITA on the Eastern Front. I am particularly interested in the formations attached to army groups/fronts, armies, and corps. It's generally really hard to find that sort of stuff.

32 minutes ago, MustyFerret said:

I have been playing Tiny/Small Maps in real time.

Is WEGO a must for larger maps and campaigns once I get better at the game? 

WEGO is smoother if you can get past the calculating hump imbetween your turns. Other than that it has more obvious benefits like never missing troops that disappear entirely

I have been playing Tiny/Small Maps in real time.

Is WEGO a must for larger maps and campaigns once I get better at the game? 

For me, WEGO is the only way to play. RT may as well not exist, as far as I'm concerned. A massive chunk of my enjoyment is in re-watching the turns unfold, finding the engaging little stories that play out. RT simply doesn't give anything like the same opportunity for watching situations develop and resolve.

I hate to miss anything, and even on a small/Tiny map, you will in RT.

37 minutes ago, MustyFerret said:

I have not touched my PS5 in weeks, I always gravitate back to tactical/hex-based wargames. That seems to be my default setting.

I love me some Combat Mission but I work as an intel analyst so some days after work I don't really wanna think about military stuff and just prefer to chop up Mongols with a samurai sword.

4 hours ago, womble said:

For me, WEGO is the only way to play. RT may as well not exist, as far as I'm concerned. A massive chunk of my enjoyment is in re-watching the turns unfold, finding the engaging little stories that play out. RT simply doesn't give anything like the same opportunity for watching situations develop and resolve.

I hate to miss anything, and even on a small/Tiny map, you will in RT.

I totally agree.  Last night I loved watching the reply of the German Infantry man get shot just as he was about to throw his hand grenade.  The grenade falls of tile behind him and explodes as he falls to the ground.  Sounds a bit gruesome as I write this, but it was so real.

20 hours ago, Artkin said:

Yep which is why I was never able to get back into Steel Panthers, especially after discovering WEGO by Battlefront. Wite2 looks cool but it was very expensive for what you get. I can use it to help develop CM campaigns but I wonder just how historically accurate it is. From experience I know to check multiple sources which can be a total PITA on the Eastern Front. I am particularly interested in the formations attached to army groups/fronts, armies, and corps. It's generally really hard to find that sort of stuff.

Funny that! I have gone back to it! Both winSPww2 and winSPMBT (Extended versions)... SP was my main war game before CMx1 came out, as I was a big fan of Avalon Hill's Tobruk game. SP was just like a computer version of that board game at the time. Glad I have rekindled my appreciation for it! The updated graphics are a big improvement.

I am  not a big "Frankenstein" mod for cm fan. I guess that labels me as a "purist" to some and that is ok!😉

Because I am comfortable using it, Its one way to get my early WW2 time frame, mostly desert fix in. No modding required, every unit you could image and more... load up and go. Or create an early war scenario and hit play... no modding headaches involved. Music to my ears. You hear me BFC?! 😉

p.s, The old CMx1 I have went back to as well, but the infantry Roblox effect is too much for me these days. 😄

Edited by Blazing 88's

18 minutes ago, Blazing 88's said:

Funny that! I have gone back to it! Both winSPww2 and winSPMBT (Extended versions)... SP was my main war game before CMx1 came out, as I was a big fan of Avalon Hill's Tobruk game. SP was just like a computer version of that board game at the time. Glad I have rekindled my appreciation for it! The updated graphics are a big improvement.

I am  not a big "Frankenstein" mod for cm fan. I guess that labels me as a "purist" to some and that is ok!😉

Because I am comfortable using it, Its one way to get my early WW2 time frame, mostly desert fix in. No modding required, every unit you could image and more... load up and go. Or create an early war scenario and hit play... no modding headaches involved. Music to my ears. You hear me BFC?! 😉

p.s, The old CMx1 I have went back to as well, but the infantry Roblox effect is too much for me these days. 😄

I own the extended version of SPMBT. Its a good game but the way turns are calculated kills me, I cant stand it. I wish Armored Brigade wasnt total dog **** and lived up to being a spritual successor.

For sure the modding for CM is a pain in the *** and none of us really want to compromise the way we have to here. It's probably the 2nd biggest drawback besides the lack of a dedicated multiplayer. 

Augh speaking of headaches the desert sounds like one of the worst places to fight in SP unless the hills are very clear. Figuring out the elevation in SP is one of the most annoying parts of the game. 

11 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Augh speaking of headaches the desert sounds like one of the worst places to fight in SP unless the hills are very clear. Figuring out the elevation in SP is one of the most annoying parts of the game. 

Hi @Artkin,

Can you please elaborate? I'm not sur to follow you. By SP you mean single player? I don't see the difference with MP in terms ot elevation estimation ?

8 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Hi @Artkin,

Can you please elaborate? I'm not sur to follow you. By SP you mean single player? I don't see the difference with MP in terms ot elevation estimation ?

Steel Panthers, a game. Here is a link to a WW2 version: https://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

Edited by Blazing 88's

23 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I own the extended version of SPMBT. Its a good game but the way turns are calculated kills me, I cant stand it. I wish Armored Brigade wasnt total dog **** and lived up to being a spritual successor.

For sure the modding for CM is a pain in the *** and none of us really want to compromise the way we have to here. It's probably the 2nd biggest drawback besides the lack of a dedicated multiplayer. 

It cures my itch and that is all I care about in that regards. Cheers!