Broken Shields: Campaign AAR

Fire & Rubble: Broken Shields

L1MUjuY.jpg

On this cold January morning, Kampfgruppe "Darges" is taking part in the Konrad Offensives. The goal is to break-out friendly forces, out of the Budapest Cauldron.

GZENWd3.png

Kampfgruppe "Darges" is mostly made out of I. Battalion/SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 23 "Norge". Half-tracks are in low supply, so we must ride the 5th SS Panzer Division's tanks.

BLUFOR

gtKXMdO.jpg

Task Force North (SS-Hauptsturmführer Weber): 4 Kompanie (Weapons)

Task Force Center (SS-Hauptsturmführer Schmidt): 1 Kompanie (Tanks)

Task Force South (SS-Hauptsturmführer Oldendahl): 1 Kompanie (Infantry)

Kampfgruppe HQ (SS-Sturmbannführer Vogt)

Supports (SS-Hauptsturmführer Wöhler): 81mm Platoon, Aufklärung Pioneers, Self-Propelled Flak (Light)

OPFOR

KF62I36.jpg

232 Guards Rifle Division, 68th Guards Rifle Regiment

The enemy must be made out of infantry, backed by anti-tank guns and possibly vehicles. They have not had time to fortify.

Terrain

GwhA0if.png

Phase A: Town

Soviet ambush elements control the northern and southern woods. We must first secure the town, Objective Vertesszoloes.

Phase B: Hill

This wooded hill controls the central road. It must be taken to get a good view, and to protect our convoy.

Phase C : Exit

This is where the central road leaves the forest. It will give us maneuverability, as well as a base of fire, for taking Objective Tarjan.

Plan

e27FnmG.png

Clear the central road.

Weber and Oldendahl must cover Schmidt, as the convoy moves through the woods. Vogt will divert supports, where needed.

Once we have a more accurate picture of the enemy, the plan may be altered.

Execution

aUvuld8.png

The Panthers of Task Force Center arrive at the entrance of Verteszoloes. The Hauptsturmführer Schmidt (Bottom-left TC), peers across the snowy slope.

KKVRUp4.png

Task Force North takes second place, Weber's HQ riding on-top of the StuG IV. The convoy is here, and the infantry are not far behind.

7c2xgIU.png

The Southern Task Force's infantry are almost in position. Oldendahl rides in his staff car, as the panzergrenadiers hold their grumbling.

tlfBWPi.png

As Weber's infantry catches up, Sturmbannführer Vogt (Bottom-most Kubelwagen) arrives at the scene.

Hauptsturmführer Wöhler (Left-most Kubelwagen) gives him the situation report.

Vprwmbk.png

Obersturmführer Kahl is the last to arrive, he somehow got separated from his Aufklärung Pioneers' Schwimmwagens. 

Wöhler (Kahl's CO) gets chewed out by Vogt, as the offensive is already behind schedule.

ReRPOos.png

The Aufklärung Pioneers carefully probe the north side of town. Unterscharführer Hiller reports no contacts. It's quiet.

fhvGzOG.png

The Kampfgruppe's Forward Observers creep towards the south side of town. Obersturmführer Ross reports no contacts. It's too quiet...

Appreciate all the feedback. More will be coming, after Christmas. So, have a good holiday, everyone!

On 12/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

A great series of screen shots. But, I don't think "Phase A" could be called a "Town", it would be stretching it a bit to even call it a hamlet.

It's a rare luxury to have historical persons help with editing. You're correct -- it almost looks like one large farm, to me. I wanted to call it "Small Town", but I shortened it to "Town", for brevity. It's simply meant to indicate the terrain type of that specific objective, as small as it may be.

1 hour ago, S-Tank said:

I'm looking forward to seeing someone else play this. So far you seem to be taking a more slow and cautious approach than I did.

My thinking is that their best prepared forces are around Vertesszoloes. Once I have broken through, it should be a quick dash out of the woods. I am concerned, that I may be giving the Soviets more time to react. Time will tell if I am correct, or if I made another classic mistake of the Eastern Front!

On 12/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, DerKommissar said:

Fire & Rubble: Broken Shields

GwhA0if.png

e27FnmG.png

Will be nice, when we could created and erase some overlays, directly on the battlefield, eventual with limitation of the units, nice screenshots !

Edit minimum of the 2d view !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

iHqFQEo.png

Task Force Oldendahl's infantry are on their way to secure Vertesszoloes' South flank (Bottom-Center).

cewSLO8.png

Task Force Weber (Top-Center) clears the North woods. Vogt's radio operator (Bottom-Left) transmits the orders for taking the hamlet.

9J8IqPS.png

Oldendahl (Left) and Weber (Right) will assault the flanks of Vertezzoloes. Schmidt's panzers (Bottom-Center) will be the base-of-fire.

tnN6KAa.png

Aufklärung Pioneers slip into the hamlet's rear. No contacts.

HDijIKF.png

Weber (Bottom-Right) reports that his task force is in position.

YRW43Ip.png

Shortly after, Oldendahl's HQ (Bottom-Left) radios that his men are standing-by. Vogt confirms: the assault begins now.

qKqXtFj.png

The violent crack of a 14.5mm anti-tank round shatters the silence. Task Force Oldendahl's veterans know that sound, all too well.

awWD7vs.png

Unterscharführer Hamblen's section opens up with the MG, on the brick building. Ricochets fly around, dangerously.

dQKikYX.png

One of Hamblen's men is wounded (Bottom-Center). The assistant squad leader's (Right-most) semi-automatic rifle fire finds their target.

YpOxIWY.png

Screams are barely audible over the storm of gunfire. After dispatching a contact, Hamblen's assistant yells "Cease Fire!". The machine gunner got too carried away.

Ta3Is1l.png

After the gun-fire dies down, reports are transmitted to Vogt. North of Vertesszoloes is clear. Oldendahl suggests at least one anti-tank platoon in the Center.

OkvSJWO.png

As Weber's task force probes South-ward, another anti-tank blast comes from the Center. Unterscharführer Hiller and his Aufklärung Pioneers hug the ground.

eFSj6dN.png

Obersturmführer Hauer's Panther sends an HE shell at the contact. There's a split second of quiet, and then a cavalcade of PPSH fire.

ELl0KY1.png

Task Force Oldendahl's infantry spot the PPSH fire, and answer with their own automatics.

qEedQC8.png

Unterscharführer Gloser's infantry section steals Oldendahl's thunder, as part of Task Force Weber's advance.

Hbuqtk8.png

Vertesszoloes is clear. Vogt transmits the go-code to continue clearing the road. Towards House A!

Edited by DerKommissar