Cold War Holiday Tournament!!!

BFCElvis

So, at the start I saw one file, loaded it was shown the Soviet flag, and could enter a save game name. That's it, so far, so good. Now my opponent has sent one turn, I am to play as the US now. If, this time, I want to avoid a situation where my opponent can exploit knowledge about both starting zones that means I should wait for the other files where I am to play the Soviet side, right?

21 minutes ago, ng cavscout said:

So, do or do not exit troops as per the scenario briefing?

I would say exit them. Not for the exiting points but so that you'll have less people available to die. Unless, you feel like you can cause more casualties with them remaining on the map than you might lose by leaving them on. The part about them being counted as casualties by not exiting won't apply unless you finish the battle.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, Butschi said:

So, at the start I saw one file, loaded it was shown the Soviet flag, and could enter a save game name. That's it, so far, so good. Now my opponent has sent one turn, I am to play as the US now. If, this time, I want to avoid a situation where my opponent can exploit knowledge about both starting zones that means I should wait for the other files where I am to play the Soviet side, right?

That's how I understood it. I send my file when it was there and I got back both files for setup from my oppo after. Not sure if he also got to look at both while doing his setup? 
@jheinrichk.

Anyway this battle has all the expensive toys in it (and some twists). Let's see how fast we can turn those into smoking hulks! :D. 

2 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

That's how I understood it. I send my file when it was there and I got back both files for setup from my oppo after. Not sure if he also got to look at both while doing his setup? 
@jheinrichk.

Anyway this battle has all the expensive toys in it (and some twists). Let's see how fast we can turn those into smoking hulks! :D. 

I waited for some time but only ever got 1 file. Oh well, awesome, setup zone arty, again, I guess. 😞

9 minutes ago, Butschi said:

I waited for some time but only ever got 1 file. Oh well, awesome, setup zone arty, again, I guess. 😞

Yes this battle you can sure expect artillery and air all on your setup zone for both sides! :D

But I like it, even without the exit objective working as intended due to the scoring. USSR forces need to utilize their doctrine to perform. 

36 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Yes this battle you can sure expect artillery and air all on your setup zone for both sides! :D

But I like it, even without the exit objective working as intended due to the scoring. USSR forces need to utilize their doctrine to perform. 

WW3 is hell... 🤔

I upload my US file yesterday first, then today I open my Soviets game.

Oh Crap, Soviets CRPs don't have any AD? I didn't expect that. How can I survive NATO air strike in the next 10-15min?

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

4 hours ago, Lethaface said:

@jheinrichk.

so i placed units and made moves as blue without bothering to check out the red perspective.  rotor noise and my AA rip learnt me to hold off asking for air support right out of the gate playing as red later.  fog of war and not knowing in that first turn adds context for me i guess

Edited by jheinrichk

4 hours ago, jheinrichk said:

so i placed units and made moves as blue without bothering to check out the red perspective.  rotor noise and my AA rip learnt me to hold off asking for air support right out of the gate playing as red later.  fog of war and not knowing in that first turn adds context for me i guess

Playing with FOG of war adds immersion that's for sure. And fun is the most important imo.
Although for a mirror game that would have to be implemented by both sides. 

21 hours ago, Lethaface said:

No worries though, all the 30mm ammo is still conserved for maximum brrt powah, but 1 Maverick has been utilized.

Looks like we both were thinking the same thing and made contact flanking. Now stay put and hold still for me behind that patch of wood there red team....

25 minutes ago, jheinrichk said:

Looks like we both were thinking the same thing and made contact flanking. Now stay put and hold still for me behind that patch of wood there red team....

Yes we will sit like ducks on your TRP 😜

PS What is your USSR platoon doing casually strolling around my left flank? Never mind some good ole target practice :)

Edited by Lethaface

On 12/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, BFCElvis said:

I don't know them either. 

You should have your first turn in your In Progress box. When it starts every player gets at least that. Once you've played that your opponent will have 2 turns waiting for them. But you definitely have 1 now.....Although it is only setting up the Red password that you don't even need.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, BFCElvis said:

You should get emails notifying you when the turns have been sent. If you haven't gotten any, check your spam folder.

28 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Yes we will sit like ducks on your TRP 😜

PS What is your USSR platoon doing casually strolling around my left flank? Never mind some good ole target practice :)

trying out the present day russian army land warfare tactics, just have private Conscriptovich walk right in find out where the fire's coming from.

Cargol and I have some issues.

1.  Slitherine sent him a PBEM file from a non tournament game for my US turn 5 I think.  It was my second actual minute. I have turn 4 in my slitherine box now.  I guess I can re-play it ?  Weird.

2.  My Russian Turn is on Turn 3 and has a password and I have yet to play a Russian turn nor did I set a password.  

I also have my timed out round 1 files in my box.  I timed out as advised per this thread.

I am traveling and this resort has internet that is a little spotty and I keep losing connection.  

My normal PBEM games are all working fine.