Cold War Holiday Tournament!!!

BFCElvis

The game is crashing when I try to send my turn. Did a complete wipe of every trace of the game from my PC, did a clean re-install, I'm running no mods, but the game just hangs when I end the turn, rather than returning to the main menu. Shame, looked like a fun scenario.

So it looks like I'll have to notify my opponent that I won't be playing. Can't find who that would be on the Matrix tournament page as only round 1 scores are showing. Any tips on how to find out who my opponent is in this round 2?

Hoping that my (gfs26) opponent (@Idontknowhowtodo) in the tournament read this :

"Hi !
I recently lost my primary pc... unfortunately it is not the power supply, so it will take some time to get it again.
I have a second pc, and it should be better (intel i9), but it has an ATI Radeon graphic card that doesn't run properly all the CM series...i tried to run our games, but there are a lot of graphic issues (in particular explosions) that make the game no more attractive.. I will try to restore the previous pc (but i doubt i will get it before mid of next week) and so will put our game in pause.
Sorry for the problem !

By the way, great battle so far... a very bloody battle. "

Is there any suggestion in the forum for user having ATI Radeon graphic card ?

The game is really unplayable (i run it under Windows 10, on a high spec pc, maybe except for the graphic card Radeon RX 550)

38 minutes ago, jackal263 said:

Hoping that my (gfs26) opponent (@Idontknowhowtodo) in the tournament read this :

"Hi !
I recently lost my primary pc... unfortunately it is not the power supply, so it will take some time to get it again.
I have a second pc, and it should be better (intel i9), but it has an ATI Radeon graphic card that doesn't run properly all the CM series...i tried to run our games, but there are a lot of graphic issues (in particular explosions) that make the game no more attractive.. I will try to restore the previous pc (but i doubt i will get it before mid of next week) and so will put our game in pause.
Sorry for the problem !

The game is really unplayable (i run it under Windows 10, on a high spec pc, maybe except for the graphic card Radeon RX 550)

You have to roll back to a previous driver. I believe 22.1.2 is the last version that works with CM.

Scores are getting updated, it’s automated I think. Though did notice my emails saying it’s my turn came at the exact same time. Something near impossible as it takes a min or two to upload and then load the 2nd battle. So even if my opponent just clicked go, it still should be at least a few mins apart. Guessing maybe there was a server issue yesterday.

My oppo is MIA as well. Does Matrix moderate the tournament at all? Remind players to keep the turn pace? I think players who sign up for tournaments and not keep their commitment (unless valid reason) should get some kind of warning. Three warnings and you can't sign up for tournaments for six months or so. I hate being left hanging. Waste of time of getting involved in the battles.

I’m not jumping to conclusions, but…

My opponent was regular and exhibited a good understanding of the game, and he is winning big. He had been playing multiple turns per day. I have reached out via slitherine mail. It might just be he’s on vacation. We are pretty far along.  Maybe 2/3.  This is what has me curious about the integrity of the tournament because This is the last oppo I would expect to ghost me. 

GG's to my opponent Luthiens, fun first match my US side might have gone very differently had there been another 5 minutes on the clock and it might have pushed it to a draw. Interestingly after ending the game both of our scores have gone down to just a few hundred points each, I wonder how that works re scoring.

8 hours ago, rocketman said:

My oppo is MIA as well. Does Matrix moderate the tournament at all? Remind players to keep the turn pace? I think players who sign up for tournaments and not keep their commitment (unless valid reason) should get some kind of warning. Three warnings and you can't sign up for tournaments for six months or so. I hate being left hanging. Waste of time of getting involved in the battles.

Good point and idea. Pretty sure there is no manual moderation by Matrix. It be great if there could be some kind of automated moderation. Anything to help cut back on dropouts.

6 hours ago, Suzuya said:

GG's to my opponent Luthiens, fun first match my US side might have gone very differently had there been another 5 minutes on the clock and it might have pushed it to a draw. Interestingly after ending the game both of our scores have gone down to just a few hundred points each, I wonder how that works re scoring.

Yeah the scoring mid game reflects losses/kills and not Objective based scoring. This gets adjusted at the end of a battle. So all scores of all games get recalculated regardless if the battle gets finished or not.

Congrats on your score!

Edited by MeatEtr

On 1/4/2023 at 4:55 PM, Free Whisky said:

The game is crashing when I try to send my turn. Did a complete wipe of every trace of the game from my PC, did a clean re-install, I'm running no mods, but the game just hangs when I end the turn, rather than returning to the main menu. Shame, looked like a fun scenario.

So it looks like I'll have to notify my opponent that I won't be playing. Can't find who that would be on the Matrix tournament page as only round 1 scores are showing. Any tips on how to find out who my opponent is in this round 2?

Are you sure your giving it enough time to process the turn AND upload? It can take awhile, like 3-5 mins for this to happen. If you click the Ok button a 2nd time then it crashes.

11 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Yeah the scoring mid game reflects losses/kills and not Objective based scoring. This gets adjusted at the end of a battle. So all scores of all games get recalculated regardless if the battle gets finished or not.

Congrats on your score!

Ah thanks for the clarification.

8 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Are you sure your giving it enough time to process the turn AND upload? It can take awhile, like 3-5 mins for this to happen. If you click the Ok button a 2nd time then it crashes.

Well.... That turns out to be it. PBEM++ games would always proces and send in like 30 seconds for me, so when it still hadn't send after 2 minutes I figured it wasnt working, clicked "Ok" and 2nd time and it would crash.

Now I let it sit for 3 minutes and it actually does send. Thanks for the tip!

Now, lets see how many turns I have to crank out per day to finish this one in time 😄

On 1/6/2023 at 3:11 AM, jackal263 said:

"Hi !
Sorry for the problem !

oh sry man. I Haven't checked this thread recently so I missed your msg. I am sorry about your PC loss. I can wait no problem.

As for the game, I usually scout for 15 minutes then take move. So this intense opening really shocked me. It's painful to command a crippled troop I have to say. 😑

15 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Congrats on your score!

But the briefing states objectives that are related to friendly/enemy losses. Are those counted twice? And the objectives are worth 100 p according to the briefing which isn't much compared to the points awarded so far. I wish Matrix would have explained the scoring system better (at all). If it differs too much from the briefing then you run the risk of chasing objectives too much/too little or not caring enough about losses.

12 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

State of the art servers 😵

I have a 200 Mbit upload service and it takes several minutes to upload a medium sized battle...

Not exactly the gaming experience I wished for. Hope it can be improved.

@BFCElvis you guys went and implemented a synchronous service to upload the save file to the Slitherine servers that locks up CM for several minutes, and during which service call any user interaction causes a fatal error in the application?

I mean jeepers at least give players something that tells them that they need to wait or a progress bar or something that tells us to sit and wait and not do anything, and maybe disable user interactable functionality during the service call.

Edited by Grey_Fox

4 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

@BFCElvis you guys went and implemented a synchronous service to upload the save file to the Slitherine servers that locks up CM for several minutes, and during which service call any user interaction causes a fatal error in the application?

I mean jeepers at least give players something that tells them that they need to wait or a progress bar or something that tells us to sit and wait and not do anything, and maybe disable user interactable functionality during the service call.

Agreed. i like playing vast maps with lots of units that take forever (at least for me) to review a turn and set up.  For someone like myself, the lesson of 'don't touch the hot stove' (ie. left clicking, toggling CAPS that was on or just fat thumbing the keyboard during turn finish processing) burns me every single time. Then i have to redo my turn. Glad to know it's not just me.

8 hours ago, IdontknowhowtodoX said:

oh sry man. I Haven't checked this thread recently so I missed your msg. I am sorry about your PC loss. I can wait no problem.

As for the game, I usually scout for 15 minutes then take move. So this intense opening really shocked me. It's painful to command a crippled troop I have to say. 😑

Yes, the start was terrific (for both sides, but you lost some valuable infantry in your APCs... and later you recovered greatly, honestly).

Tomorrow i will try to install Steam (and Cold War) on a bit older pc (but, at least, without an ATI Radeon graphic card)...

If i fail (for some reason) i will get my previous pc maybe in next weekend... on my latest pc (that is a very good pc) the game is simply unplayable... unfortunately. (PS. I have so many pc because i work in IT sector, and i never dismiss any previous hardware)

Thanks for your patience (and sorry for my terrible english) 

4 hours ago, jackal263 said:

Yes, the start was terrific (for both sides, but you lost some valuable infantry in your APCs... and later you recovered greatly, honestly).

Tomorrow i will try to install Steam (and Cold War) on a bit older pc (but, at least, without an ATI Radeon graphic card)...

If i fail (for some reason) i will get my previous pc maybe in next weekend... on my latest pc (that is a very good pc) the game is simply unplayable... unfortunately. (PS. I have so many pc because i work in IT sector, and i never dismiss any previous hardware)

Thanks for your patience (and sorry for my terrible english) 

Ok I get it. BTW I can totally understand your EN so it's not terrible at all ;)

11 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

It's been a disaster from the start. Nobody asked for this. And the things that were asked for were delivered to CM:Pro. 

But the customers always come first. 

13 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

I believe this is the same with all the CM2 games, there's no difference. In PBEM double clicking the Ok button or Enter key when saving produces the same result. I do agree there should be a saving progress bar or something. But I, like many others, got over this like a dozen years ago. 😉

Also during testing the battles were much smaller. So long wait times were not a factor. With these bigger battles things naturally take longer. As there is a good amount of units and the map is fairly large.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

It's been a disaster from the start. Nobody asked for this. And the things that were asked for were delivered to CM:Pro. 

But the customers always come first. 

Not at all, there was decent turnout for the test tourneys and there's 20 battles going on now, which makes 40 players. Not bad for something you claim is a disaster that nobody asked for. The core functionality is working fine. It's just not as polished and smooth as we all hoped it be.