Cant overwrite save files bug

8 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I opened a new ticket with this detailed info and referred back to the previous one. Looks like the full path to the save game is being appended rather than the relative path from the user's game directory in Documents. 

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave. If they want a full capture from Process Monitor, I'd be happy to create one. However I'd have to share it somewhere private or through PM, since I don't want to share full ProcMon logs in public.

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, Redwolf said:

It would be useful to mention which play mode you are in when reporting works/broken behavior. (single player, pbem etc)

The save system is broken, its not in any way related to game mode or even what CM you own. Ive seen people report the same thing with SF2 for example.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, Pr0Gam3rDude69 said:

The save system is broken, its not in any way related to game mode or even what CM you own. Ive seen people report the same thing with SF2 for example.

Yeah, but not everybody.

"Somebody" needs to define a standard test and then collect user data to find out when it fails for who.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:10 PM, Redwolf said:

Yeah, but not everybody.

"Somebody" needs to define a standard test and then collect user data to find out when it fails for who.

You mean like a game dev ? Yeah I know, I've made a bug report but my ticket is now closed after this guy named John wasn't able to properly understand what I was attempting to explain.

I made a YouTube video showing the bug step by step. John ended up explaining to me that you "cant overwrite save files" (ofc you can) and then closed the ticket.

Just... look at the picture, man. What else can I do ?

Capture.PNG

On 6/19/2022 at 9:39 AM, Pr0Gam3rDude69 said:

Have you also read about a real easy remedy? Actually for me it was never a remedy as have always saved games this way.
Just change your save file name for your saves incrementally.
Myself, I always use xxxxxxx_000, xxxxxx_001, xxxxxx_002 extensions for each save. I also make the _000 save a master save with everything setup and organized (acquiring extra weapons and ammo, etc) before hitting the red button to start a game. Saves setup time if I venture to play the scenario again down the road.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:17 PM, Pr0Gam3rDude69 said:

after this guy named John

I've found that what John (aka @BFCElvis) says is generally correct - isn't that right John 😉?  

Certainly for me PBEM saves where the number at the end always increments have never failed except for one where I loaded up a preceding save by mistake and guess what, it wouldn't let me overwrite the incremented file number that it already had.  This made sense to me.

For single player, can you call a save file the same name as a previous one?  Not so sure about that, but I have always gone with the automatically incremented number system and it has not failed so far either.   Do I end up with a lot of files?  Yes - but they can easily be deleted once done with.

If I'm missing the point forgive me 😬 as I can't see the video either.

5 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I've found that what John (aka @BFCElvis) says is generally correct - isn't that right John 😉?  

Certainly for me PBEM saves where the number at the end always increments have never failed except for one where I loaded up a preceding save by mistake and guess what, it wouldn't let me overwrite the incremented file number that it already had.  This made sense to me.

For single player, can you call a save file the same name as a previous one?  Not so sure about that, but I have always gone with the automatically incremented number system and it has not failed so far either.   Do I end up with a lot of files?  Yes - but they can easily be deleted once done with.

If I'm missing the point forgive me 😬 as I can't see the video either.

"For single player, can you call a save file the same name as a previous one?" -> I can in both CMFI and CMSF2 + I definitely used to do it in CMBS when I first played it.

When I then came back to CMBS after getting more CM experience, I couldn't do it anymore.

You didn't miss the point at all, I like to have one save file per mission at the end, so I can't save scum even if I reeeeally want to. I'll just have to find another way of organizing things for now at least.

But I already know my OCD is going to push me towards sometimes reloading instead of just accepting that casualty I took last turn... Well see I guess.

• 3 months later...

I just ran into this issue again. I haven't played SP in a while, so I forgot that overwriting save games is an issue, as I always use unique savegame names in MP for better coordination with my battle buddy.
Now I played CMCW for several hours in SP yesterday and then saved the game using a savegame name that already existed in order to overwrite the old one. It seemed to save successfully (game froze for several seconds as it usually does while busy saving), but when I wanted to load the file today, it was still the old savegame and several hours of gameplay are lost 😡

I don't ever remember being able to overwrite save files. As @QuiGon said, it will pretend to save and won't. 

This is strictly from memory, I haven't had an issue with my games because I don't screw around. 

If you're unsure then just bump the numbers up, who cares. 

The best thing you can do is keep your incoming and outgoing email, and saved games folders clean and backed up. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One last message to say that the bug has been fixed (for me at least) with the latest Steam patch even tho it's not in the patchnote.

I wasn't expecting it but at last I can replay the CMBS campaigns without it being a hassle now.

Thanks for the help everyone, reporting it multiple times probably made it more visible.