Cant overwrite save files bug

Hi people,

I've reported this bug both on the steam forums and directly in a ticket but it never got resolved and I never played CMBS as a result, so here it is :

When using a similar name to an existing save file, the game just refuses to overwrite it. You are forced to use a different name for every new save making it very annoying, especially when you forget about the bug and loose an hour of progression as a result.

I can even see the failed attempts of the game at saving in the main install folder of my CMBS Steam Edition :

image.thumb.png.58e697a1bbcbb659c727e6361a64b456.png

All of those temp files shouldn't be here and shouldn be .TMP's, obviously.

It's quite the game breaking bug and honestly doesn't seem too obscure and difficult to fix, I can literally see the problem unfold in front of my eyes and I'm pleb.

Below the link to my original Steam thread and some forum post explaining the bug in more details :

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1502380/discussions/0/2953788788219264840/#c2953788788220774775

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=375985

Any ideas ?

There is a bug report for this. It's marked as cannot reproduce. Obviously some are having this issue. I'll ask further.

Also, this seems to be a PC only issue? I can't reproduce on my Mac with either RT or BS (for obvious reasons I don't have any Steam versions).

Dave

10 hours ago, Redwolf said:

It would be useful to mention which play mode you are in when reporting works/broken behavior. (single player, pbem etc)

I have just tested out a few modes in CMRT and confirmed the save problem in:

• Single-player real-time (scenario)
  • Single-player turn-based (scenario)
  • Two-player hotseat (QB, scenario)

Anything that goes into the Saved Games folder. There is no warning message. The player does not learn about the failed save until he tries to load it.

In two-player PBEM, when attempting to save a new PBEM file for you opponent under a file name that already exists, the following message appears:

Email save failed. '[name of the file, without extension]' could not be created in the Outgoing Email directory. Try again?

Clicking 'Yes' allows me to change the file name and save successfully. Clicking 'No' returns me to the main menu. I suppose this is normal behavior of PBEM - it happens in CMBN and CMFI, too.

I posted about this bug back in November:
https://community.battlefront.com/topic/140450-the-combat-mission-cold-war-v103-patch-has-been-released/page/2/#comment-1892857

Also on the Matrix CMCW forum since I bought it there:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=375985

No official response from Matrix or BF on this... Matrix Games support sucks but I was expecting more from Battlefront. At least an official "yes we know about it and is working on it".

In fact, I thought I would get back into CMBS - played it a bit and saving worked fine. Then I saw, that "oh there's a new patch 2.16, better install that". After patching, the *same* bloody thing is happening in CMBS... 🤦‍♂️😠

21 hours ago, Shadrach said:

No official response from Matrix or BF on this... Matrix Games support sucks but I was expecting more from Battlefront.

I did just say there is a ticket for this. And I'm trying to find out more.

In the meantime, is there a problem with giving it a slightly modified name or just letting it increment and deleting the old one? I understand the temp file deal but do you get all those temp files if you just let the game name a new save file and then delete the previous one?

I know it's annoying but I'm not seeing how it makes the game unplayable or game-breaking. Not to say it shouldn't be fixed, but what exactly is is the issue that is preventing using the game? Are you running out of disk space because of the temp files? Some other issue?

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

Another question. I see in the pic of the OP that the Game Files folder is inside the installation. On a PC isn't that normally in your User directory? I understand I'm seeing the Steam installation there. Those of you with Matrix or BF installations - is your Game Files folder inside the application folder or in your User directory (somewhere like C:/Users/<username>/Battlefront/CM Black Sea/Game Files/  ) ?

I'm wondering if it's some kind of permissions thing that may have changed with patches/updates. Speculating of course.

Dave

6 hours ago, Ultradave said:

I know it's annoying but I'm not seeing how it makes the game unplayable or game-breaking.

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. Yeah it's not making the game "unplayable" but when playing a turn I tend to save a *lot*, and this is really ingrained to how I play the game. So yeah, not game-breaking, just very annoying. 

What annoys me the most is the complete lack of feedback from BF on this pretty obvious and serious bug, and any information on whether they're aware of it and when it will be fixed. I am of course expecting a fix in the "next patch" but no-one knows if that's weeks or months away, or even if it will actually contain a fix for this issue. We don't even know if they're working on a new fix for CMBS and CMCW.

Another question. I see in the pic of the OP that the Game Files folder is inside the installation. On a PC isn't that normally in your User directory? I understand I'm seeing the Steam installation there. Those of you with Matrix or BF installations - is your Game Files folder inside the application folder or in your User directory (somewhere like C:/Users/<username>/Battlefront/CM Black Sea/Game Files/  ) ?

It's a good point. I have the Matrix version of Cold War, and for some reason they've changed the save game location to the game directory, under "\Game Files\Saved Games". Which obviously is a *really stupid* place to save stuff, as there's no guarantee the user has write permissions there unless the game is run as Admin.

But like I said after patching Black Sea to 2.16 the same is happening there, and that game saves to the My Games directory like all other CM games (Documents\My Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\Game Files\Saved Games).

So I don't think  it's a permissions issue. Like I said in the Matrix forum post, it looks like the game messes up the save game path:

F:\Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission Cold War\F:\Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission Cold War\Game Files\Saved Games\Direction Found 003.bts

This above is from the Matrix build of Cold War. I've not done the same logging for Black Sea, but should be an easy task.

Edited by Shadrach

4 hours ago, Ultradave said:

is your Game Files folder inside the application folder or in your User directory (somewhere like C:/Users/<username>/Battlefront/CM Black Sea/Game Files/  ) ?

My games are WW2 only and therefore (at this point in time) direct from BFC only.  All of them except CMBN are exactly as you show in the Users folder.  CMBN is on the D-drive, which was explained to me some time ago but I don't recall why.  And as I mentioned I am happily/luckily not troubled by the save game bug in any of the titles.

26 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

it looks like the game messes up the save game path:

F:\Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission Cold War\F:\Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission Cold War\Game Files\Saved Games\Direction Found 003.bts

Yes, looks like a bit of double addressing there!

Edited by Vacillator

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

So I don't think  it's a permissions issue. Like I said in the Matrix forum post, it looks like the game messes up the save game path:

This above is from the Matrix build of Cold War. I've not done the same logging for Black Sea, but should be an easy task.

Ok, this may be a clue to look at.

Dave

Just to make sure, I made a log using Process Monitor when saving a game in Black Sea 2.16 - same thing, it tries a CreateFile to a duplicated path:

20:39:41,4484432    CM Black Sea.exe    9132    3060    CreateFile    C:\Users\Stian\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\C:\Users\Stian\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\Game Files\Saved Games\Quick Battle 002.bts    0.0000165    NAME INVALID    File System    Desired Access: Write Attributes, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a    F:\Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission Black Sea\CM Black Sea.exe    CRAPSTATION\stian

20:39:41,4485218    CM Black Sea.exe    9132    3060    CreateFile    C:\Users\Stian\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\C:\Users\Stian\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\Game Files\Saved Games\Quick Battle 002.bts    0.0000132    NAME INVALID    File System    Desired Access: Read Attributes, Delete, Disposition: Open, Options: Non-Directory File, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a    F:\Games\Battlefront\Combat Mission Black Sea\CM Black Sea.exe    CRAPSTATION\stian

I've also removed any mods as well as the Reshade I use, and same thing.

Edited by Shadrach