Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Better than mounting it on a Leopard 2 chassis, but ideally it should be on a truck to bring acquisition and sustainment costs down even further.  That includes getting rid of the notion of armor for the gun system.  Because, in my view, these things are most likely going to be useful behind the front shooting at the enemy's strategic level drone/missiles and not mixing it up at the front where drones are tiny and unlikely to present good targets for this system.

Steve

A truck mounted version has existed for years and iirc ukraine received 2 systems though i dont know if they got the truck or trailer mounted version.

And for protecting combat troops you need to be able to follow them which a truck might not be able to do everywhere a tracked vehicle can.

10 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

All good, Eug85.  Gotta have some laughs here sometimes.  

On the war, I can't even really get a grip on what winning & losing means, outside of one side collapsing.  If lines froze as-is and there's a cease fire & (absurd) treaty, does that mean UKR won because they weren't destroyed?  Does RU win despite wrecking their economy and killing hundreds of thousands  and becoming a pariah state for many years to come?  So even with a simple to state outcome, who is the winner?

Do you still believe in the collapse of the Russian economy? Come on. How many years have these constant assurances from politicians that the Russian economy is about to collapse continued? Since 2014? Personally, I believe that in 2025 Russia will increase its war spending even more without serious consequences for its economy. A number of countries will not allow Russia to fall. China needs Russia to destabilize the West. Russia is important to the Arabs as a significant player in the oil market, if it collapses, no one knows who exactly will take over its oil fields and by what rules this someone will play. The same is true for the West. The US is afraid of Russia's fall, since it is unclear who will take over its nuclear weapons and how to negotiate with these guys. So I assure you that everything will be fine with the Russian economy.

7 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

So I assure you that everything will be fine with the Russian economy.

Okay now you are definitely trolling.  Even the Russian central bank is noting issues.  I suspect they know just a wee bit more about the Russian economy than you do.

Amazing.. As soon as ATH is hitting a consistent 9.8 on the Kettler scale, grabs his tank stuffy and nods off for 2 hours we get another beaut out of old left.. Please gents, for the love of the lurkers, stop feeding the warted ones... 

8 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

Do you still believe in the collapse of the Russian economy? Come on. How many years have these constant assurances from politicians that the Russian economy is about to collapse continued? Since 2014? Personally, I believe that in 2025 Russia will increase its war spending even more without serious consequences for its economy. A number of countries will not allow Russia to fall. China needs Russia to destabilize the West. Russia is important to the Arabs as a significant player in the oil market, if it collapses, no one knows who exactly will take over its oil fields and by what rules this someone will play. The same is true for the West. The US is afraid of Russia's fall, since it is unclear who will take over its nuclear weapons and how to negotiate with these guys. So I assure you that everything will be fine with the Russian economy.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/agitprop

This is crude stuff. The internet has made you guys lazy. I kind of miss the days when you were willing to drip, drip, drip a story from Cyprus to Bangalore until it caught on with Bild and then took off. The good old days...

12 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

Do you still believe in the collapse of the Russian economy? Come on.

read what I said.  I said "outside of one side collapsing".  

12 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

So I assure you that everything will be fine with the Russian economy.

Might be the most silliest thing ever said on this forum -- I'll assume was humor and lost in translation.  This war has had a huge negative effect on RU economy.  Unless you look at numbers generated by Russia, which is what clever, insightful folks generally do.  

EDIT:  Ah, good point, came thru when I was typing.  Stop feeding this.....

Edited by danfrodo

6 hours ago, The_Capt said:

LOL I don't think Musk needs to do anything. There is a whole sub Reddit dedicated to them breaking down and generally being of very poor quality - seems they are total POS. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/CyberStuck/

16 minutes ago, billbindc said:

Which Putin loving troll is this again? I recognize the writing style but I can't keep track of all of the nom de plumes. 

(Also amusing to note the transliteration of Serhii to Sergey.)

The name Sergey is very popular in post-Soviet countries and is written differently everywhere. In Poland, the Baltics, Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, part of Ukraine and Russia it is Sergey. In Ukraine it is Sergiy, in Serbia it is Serghei.

I am writing through Google translator, since I don’t know English, so I don’t understand what exactly is alarming you in the way I write

42 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

https://t.me/serhii_flash/3866

https://t.me/serhii_flash/3874

Found another post by Sergey Flash showing the ingenuity of the Russians. He reports that one of the Ukrainian units was attacked by FPV drones 40 kilometers from the front line. The drones were taken out by a drone mother, which delivered the drones deep into the Ukrainian rear, conducted video surveillance of the attack and served as a repeater of control signals and video. Now the Ukrainians have one more problem. FPV drones are now capable of causing trouble far behind the front line.

This is a Ukrainian innovation, now being copied by Russia.

Development was first reported at end of 2023, I believe.

2 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

I know I used it to pin and unpin topics in both the beta and outer boards, and there were supposed to be no take backs.  

Ah-ha!  So you did use your powers and you used them for good (I hope).  If you need them back I can certainly do so.  I just figured in the backend cleaning up all kinds of things I might as well tidy that up too.

Steve

14 minutes ago, akd said:

This is a Ukrainian innovation, now being copied by Russia.

Development was first reported at end of 2023, I believe.

But the Russians have improved it considerably. The range of Baba Yaga does not exceed 10 km plus the range of the daughter drones another 10 km. Total 20 km. While the range of the Russian queen is 40 km.

41 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

Yes, but your graph clearly shows that Western aid in 2024 is less than in 2022 and 2023. The graph curve is noticeably downwards, if it were not for the supply failure from December 2023 to March 2024, the decline in aid would be even more noticeable.

In any case, it is stupid to argue with the fact that Western society is tired of the war in Ukraine. I think you have noticed this in your own countries. People are much more concerned about internal problems in their countries than about a distant war in little-known Ukraine. So it is not surprising that the topic of financial aid to Ukraine is becoming less and less popular with Western politicians.

Alright, if you want to nitpick, do it right: No, Western aid in 2024 is not less than in 2022 and 2023. Simply because 2024 isn't over, yet. US aid had a bad start but on top of the 185 bln € already allocated to Ukraine up until now (by US + Europe), there are another 100 bln € commited already. We both don't have a crystal ball but it is not unlikely that a significant fraction of that money will be allocated this year.

Thanks for calling me stupid, I guess I must be, taking the time to do your homework for you. Well, I do challenge your claim that Western society as a whole (as compared to factions within some Western societies) are tired of the war. How about you go and  provide some evidence for a change?

31 minutes ago, Vic4 said:

Amazing.. As soon as ATH is hitting a consistent 9.8 on the Kettler scale, grabs his tank stuffy and nods off for 2 hours we get another beaut out of old left.. Please gents, for the love of the lurkers, stop feeding the warted ones... 

Please, I have TWO tank plushies that I cuddle before bed.

I have not been engaging too much with the recent drama from the last two pages because I happen to be preparing for my significant other to stay at my place for a while! I am having fun with the popcorn though. 

The idea of spooling out cable for a unmanned system is not a Russian innovation.

?op=img&id=a136169-v6

But seriously, it is already something that UGVs use as an option for the same reasons it is now on UAVs.

While I do not doubt that there are some use cases for a tethered UAV that would actually work, they are a subset of what UAVs can do without a tether.  Specifically I can see it being useful for going after an already identified, fairly stationary target such as a bunker.  Going up against a vehicle on the move?  Not as likely I should think.

So, this is probably something that has some battlefield value, but not enough that I'd expect it to replace radio control any time soon.

Steve

1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

All good, Eug85.  Gotta have some laughs here sometimes.  

On the war, I can't even really get a grip on what winning & losing means, outside of one side collapsing.  If lines froze as-is and there's a cease fire & (absurd) treaty, does that mean UKR won because they weren't destroyed?  Does RU win despite wrecking their economy and killing hundreds of thousands  and becoming a pariah state for many years to come?  So even with a simple to state outcome, who is the winner?

Sheesh, don’t let the misinformation troll high road you now. How about “better to try and inject humour than spout pro-Russian catch lines”….?

2 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

But the Russians have improved it considerably. The range of Baba Yaga does not exceed 10 km plus the range of the daughter drones another 10 km. Total 20 km. While the range of the Russian queen is 40 km.

What is your point?  That Russia isn't COMPLETELY incompetent in EVERYTHING that it does or makes?  Well, I can easily agree to that because I've never thought otherwise.  If you're trying to make this into something more profound, like it proves Russia is better at innovating than Ukraine, then you're off on your own because there's no rational way you can make that point with a couple of cherry picked examples from one side.  So don't waste our time if that's where you want to take this.

Personally, I think Ukraine's recent innovation of dropping thermite is way, way, way more innovative and consequential than fiber optic spools on some drones.  The video just posted of "3rd Company" being burned out of their positions is a good demonstration why cherry picking isn't a useful exercise.  Because in my book, I just won the argument.

Steve

41 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

The name Sergey is very popular in post-Soviet countries and is written differently everywhere. In Poland, the Baltics, Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, part of Ukraine and Russia it is Sergey. In Ukraine it is Sergiy, in Serbia it is Serghei.

I am writing through Google translator, since I don’t know English, so I don’t understand what exactly is alarming you in the way I write

Heh, no you are not. Your sentence structure is far too English to have been generated. And you are using contractions and adverbs in a way G-translate is not going to pick up.

Oh man it has been awhile, but we have a Russian IO bug in the house. So are you the normal pro-Russian type on the payroll? Or are you a MAGA nut job? Hmm…

Or is Zilaban (or whatever his name was) back in for another round?

3 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

Heh, no you are not. Your sentence structure is far too English to have been generated. And you are using contractions and adverbs in a way G-translate is not going to pick up.

Oh man it has been awhile, but we have a Russian IO bug in the house. So are you the normal pro-Russian type on the payroll? Or are you a MAGA nut job? Hmm…

Or is Zilaban (or whatever his name was) back in for another round?

Google is constantly improving its translation algorithms, so it is not surprising that what was previously translated incorrectly is now translated much better.

30 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Alright, if you want to nitpick, do it right: No, Western aid in 2024 is not less than in 2022 and 2023. Simply because 2024 isn't over, yet. US aid had a bad start but on top of the 185 bln € already allocated to Ukraine up until now (by US + Europe), there are another 100 bln € commited already. We both don't have a crystal ball but it is not unlikely that a significant fraction of that money will be allocated this year.

Thanks for calling me stupid, I guess I must be, taking the time to do your homework for you. Well, I do challenge your claim that Western society as a whole (as compared to factions within some Western societies) are tired of the war. How about you go and  provide some evidence for a change?

So you want to say that your society is not at all tired of the constant support of the Ukrainian economy?