Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 minute ago, Eug85 said:

Google is constantly improving its translation algorithms, so it is not surprising that what was previously translated incorrectly is now translated much better.

You should have gone with ChatGPT, that at least is believable. Eastern Europeans, especially Ukrainian and Russian speakers have a fundamentally different sentence structure and word order. We have seen it here with other real posters from the region. GT is not going to re-order words for you into perfect English order. We have seen Ukrainian posters use GT and they are understood but word order is always off. Same for contractions and adverbs.

No, you are an English speaker. Maybe posing as a Ukrainian (or whatever), or maybe just bilingual…we have had some Ukrainian speakers with excellent English. Now what your motives are…well that is becoming pretty clear. Same MO as before, come out as pro-Ukrainian (the whole Canadian film thing), try and build street cred as an in country local, and then try to shift the narrative. This is not new, or even original but at least it is a rung up the ladder from the slathering pro-Russian guys who last about 15 mins.

Here, stick this in GT and see what comes out “that dog won’t hunt!”

40 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

The video just posted of "3rd Company" being burned out of their positions is a good demonstration

I think there is at least some debate if third company was burned out of their position, or burned IN it. The distinction matters a great deal to third company. 

18 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

Google is constantly improving its translation algorithms, so it is not surprising that what was previously translated incorrectly is now translated much better.

The_Capt is correct. While GT is way better than it used to be your English is entirely too polished for me to believe your claim to be a non-speaker. I was a linguist by training too so this is my wheelhouse.

4 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

The_Capt is correct. While GT is way better than it used to be your English is entirely too polished for me to believe your claim to be a non-speaker. I was a linguist by training too so this is my wheelhouse.

I gotta say, the expertise from so many walks of life on this thread continues to amaze me.

2 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

I gotta say, the expertise from so many walks of life on this thread continues to amaze me.

Army linguist, not Noam Chomsky-type linguist. Although, I did take 3 or 4 linguistic courses in college. 

I am a fairly fluent Korean speaker and have been since I graduated DLI over a decade ago. I still make mistakes in speaking and writing that marks me as a non-native. This guy is more fluent in English than I am in Korean, I guarantee it.

Here is a description of trench warfare in 2024 from a soldier of the Ukrainian armed forces. In short, it is much harder now than in 2022 or 2023. And in such conditions, in his opinion, the level of training of an infantryman affects the outcome of a battle much less than before.

If the Russians really want to take the trench, they will first dismantle it for a day or two with FPV drones; in parallel with this - they will stably analyze the position with mortars, artillery, tank/BMP; and with all this - EVERY 20-25 minutes you will receive a reset from mavik (gas/f1/vog17-25/rgn-rgo)

As a result, in the first day there will be no dugouts or even any covered crevices. Nothing remains.
If you reached the gray zone, you can be replaced, or the evacuation group will be able to fly in and pull out 300/200.
And if they can't (because everything is burned around you), then maybe a drone will bring some water, ammunition, cigarettes and something to eat.

And if you still held your position, after the final preparation (everything listed above will arrive, only more intensively) - you will be stormed, in groups of 3-5 people.
As a rule, then there is no one to hold a position anymore, and there are no more shooting battles as such.

Russian infantry captures positions (as a rule - almost empty positions) - and the same thing awaits them: FPVs fly into the remains of fortifications, or into what the Russians dug; drops from Mavics, mortars, etc. They retreat with losses. They come in again. And all in a circle.

Why am I telling this?

You can be a cool Rambo you can have enormous experience from the time of the ATO, you can be a spectator wounded in the war who knows how to fight a war.

But in such conditions - what are you, what is the conditional farmer Mykola, who was mobilized yesterday, plus minus the same efficiency. And your chances of survival are the same plus or minus.
And how lucky are you to get out alive and unscathed from the above-described meat grinder, and write to someone on the Internet "how's it going?")))

Because I bet - among all these military men who write similar things, you can hardly find a few of these guys who in 2024 were sitting in the trenches together with Mykola.

Most of you who write posts on the Internet: pilots, staff, company/platoon commanders (who do not go beyond the observation point, or go but very rarely, and do not sit in a trench on the front line).

Guys.. I switched from the infantry about 4 months ago - I was completely screwed, because I didn't consider myself a Rambo before, even more so now (and I still think that the only ones who have the right to pretend and shut anyone's mouth are stormtroopers and trench infantry ).
But who are you sending to the trenches (in your posts on the Internet) if you have not been there for a long time to sit there for 15-18 days??) An important clarification - to sit there in 2024 (!)

you understand very well that the war has changed three times for the trench infantryman; and you must understand that fighting in the infantry in a trench, holding a position in 2022-2023 is absolutely not the same as fighting in 2024.

Edited by Eug85

8 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

Here is a description of trench warfare in 2024 from a soldier of the Ukrainian armed forces. In short, it is much harder now than in 2022 or 2023. And in such conditions, in his opinion, the level of training of an infantryman affects the outcome of a battle much less than before.

If the Russians really want to take the trench, they will first dismantle it for a day or two with FPV drones; in parallel with this - they will stably analyze the position with mortars, artillery, tank/BMP; and with all this - EVERY 20-25 minutes you will receive a reset from mavik (gas/f1/vog17-25/rgn-rgo)

As a result, in the first day there will be no dugouts or even any covered crevices. Nothing remains.
If you reached the gray zone, you can be replaced, or the evacuation group will be able to fly in and pull out 300/200.
And if they can't (because everything is burned around you), then maybe a drone will bring some water, ammunition, cigarettes and something to eat.

And if you still held your position, after the final preparation (everything listed above will arrive, only more intensively) - you will be stormed, in groups of 3-5 people.
As a rule, then there is no one to hold a position anymore, and there are no more shooting battles as such.

Russian infantry captures positions (as a rule - almost empty positions) - and the same thing awaits them: FPVs fly into the remains of fortifications, or into what the Russians dug; drops from Mavics, mortars, etc. They retreat with losses. They come in again. And all in a circle.

Why am I telling this?

You can be a cool Rambo you can have enormous experience from the time of the ATO, you can be a spectator wounded in the war who knows how to fight a war.

But in such conditions - what are you, what is the conditional farmer Mykola, who was mobilized yesterday, plus minus the same efficiency. And your chances of survival are the same plus or minus.
And how lucky are you to get out alive and unscathed from the above-described meat grinder, and write to someone on the Internet "how's it going?")))

Because I bet - among all these military men who write similar things, you can hardly find a few of these guys who in 2024 were sitting in the trenches together with Mykola.

Most of you who write posts on the Internet: pilots, staff, company/platoon commanders (who do not go beyond the observation point, or go but very rarely, and do not sit in a trench on the front line).

Guys.. I switched from the infantry about 4 months ago - I was completely screwed, because I didn't consider myself a Rambo before, even more so now (and I still think that the only ones who have the right to pretend and shut anyone's mouth are stormtroopers and trench infantry ).
But who are you sending to the trenches (in your posts on the Internet) if you have not been there for a long time to sit there for 15-18 days??) An important clarification - to sit there in 2024 (!)

you understand very well that the war has changed three times for the trench infantryman; and you must understand that fighting in the infantry in a trench, holding a position in 2022-2023 is absolutely not the same as fighting in 2024.

Ok, so the part you are quoting definitely has been through GT. Your first para, which I am pretty sure you wrote definitely was not.

Regardless. So back in summer of ‘22 at Severodonetsk the RA was firing artillery in massed sustained barrages at densities rivalling WW1. The troops on the receiving end of that no doubt that they were suffering the worst of trench fighting. Now infantry, in 2024, are facing intense FPV attacks, followed by assaults. We know the RA has fewer guns and is firing less so they have offset with FPVs, much like the UA has.

So what? There is no “good time” in a trench. Whether it is 22, 23 or 24, a dog faced infanteer is never going to go “well thank god I am here now because then was worse” it is all worse. So first person accounts tell a small part of the story, a very human part. But they do not tell the whole story. The larger story is that the RA took Adiivka in Feb of this year after four brutal months where at some point they were losing a battalion a day. Since then they have advanced about 30-35 kms in seven months. Their loses, again, have been astounding. So while it really sucks to be in a trench in ‘24, those trenches are still working. And until they stop working, any and all amateur assessments along pro-Russian lines that Ukraine is doomed are BS, Russia IO, or both.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/09/20/us-ukraine-missiles-00180300

The U.S. is considering sending Ukraine a medium-range missile for its new F-16 fleet as part of a $375 million military aid package expected to be announced Monday.

The Joint Standoff Weapon, already used by the U.S. Air Force and Navy and a number of allies, can hit targets over 70 miles away, giving Ukraine a major upgrade to the weapons it’s using to strike Russian forces and allowing them to do it at safer distances.

The pressure on ATACMS and Storm Shadow permissions is apparently breaking some other stuff loose. If they are resistant to Russian jamming these would be just the thing to rattle Russian logistics in the Donbas, and the land bridge. And if they are not resistant to Russian jamming it would be very good to at least know that.

Arab states would love Russian oil off the market, they are desperate for market share and rising pricing but due to depressed Chinese economy, and inability to crush American oil have been unable to gain either despite years of effort.

Approval for Storm Shadow missiles into Russia is basically done, just looking for a good time to announce/surprise Russia with it.

23 minutes ago, Eug85 said:

I don't pretend to be anyone, I didn't even say where I'm from, and you're already drawing conclusions that I'm trying to pretend to be someone

And whats your Goal ? Other than apparently trying to offer up yet another version of invincible , unbeatable Russia ?

1 hour ago, Bearstronaut said:

I was a linguist by training

Linguist.  Very cool field of study for sure.  I love reading about it as a lay person.  

Meanwhile, wife out of town.  I am making a pile of chicken leg quarters, not so different from that mouth watering picture above.  Then settle in for some Friday night CMBN.  Utah beach campaign to be precise.  

15 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

I could actually post some rather similar grill photos from up by the north gate of Hanoi, but umm, never mind

Europe during the 50' and 60's of the last century. Rabbits could only be sold on the open markets if the hind quarters were left on. Apparently, WW2 only ended 15 years prior, and cats tasted at least very similar. At least in the Philippines you can see exactly what you get on the open market. Roast Pork is served whole on the table, and you can see it is a 'Baboy'. 

1 hour ago, Bearstronaut said:

Inter alia, using "guys" to refer to people in general is an obvious tip off. A very American and especially NY/NJ colloquialism that is not going to come up Google translating from Ukrainian or Russian into English. "Yuge85" is either one of our old trolls reskinned or some sad sack demolishing a bag of Московскии Картофел for his hourly fee.

Edited by billbindc