How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

4 hours ago, Kinophile said:

"What's up, orcs! It's our field, **** off!"

You know it is a bit funny but I am not quite sure the translation is accurate in these vids. What is usually translated by "orc" is another word entirely. I think what they usually say is "pidori" which means "f*ggot" as far as I know. And both sides use this expletive. So maybe that's just me but I find the orc thing a bit cringe. Nothing personal, I just thought it was worth pointing out.

edit : Ah sorry I see Haiduk commented on that before.

Edited by Zveroboy1

Another pet peeve: human waves attacks.

I don't even know how you would describe what Russians and Wagner in particular are doing when they send these squad or platoon sized elements forward with barely any support at all but for me that's not really what a human wave attack is. Soviets in front of Moscow sending companies or whole battalions of conscripts yelling hurrah at German positions (instant cmbb nostalgia) en masse or Iraq-Iran war okay.

46 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Another pet peeve: human waves attacks.

I don't even know how you would describe what Russians and Wagner in particular are doing when they send these squad or platoon sized elements forward with barely any support at all but for me that's not really what a human wave attack is. Soviets in front of Moscow sending companies or whole battalions of conscripts yelling hurrah at German positions (instant cmbb nostalgia) en masse or Iraq-Iran war okay.

Might I propose human sandpaper attacks? Their goal after all is to wear away the Ukrainian defenders, little by little. No one expects the sandpaper to survive the project.

Edited by dan/california

9 hours ago, Butschi said:

The fact that the Australians want nuclear submarines can have a lot of good (and some bad) reasons but is in itself no evidence of Chinese expansionism.

According tro the stated thinking f the Labor government is explicitly about China ... if we didn't believe Chinese expansionism wasn't a problem, we wouldn't be buying them.

35 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Might I propose human sandpaper attacks. Their goal after all is to wear away the Ukrainian defenders, little by little. No one expects the sandpaper to survive the project.

I think of it as a human stream attack.  Low volume across a narrow front for an extended period.  The effect is slow erosion instead of a flash flood that instantly washes everything away.

Edited by MSBoxer

1 hour ago, Kinophile said:

Oooohhhhhhhhh...... 

Let's say two weeks to get integrate and position,  then another two weeks of making Russian pilots shot themselves.

I would speculate that Patriots are intended primarily for missile defense and may be too far behind the front lines to engage Russian aviation.

37 minutes ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Best source I could find for the US-Australian war. 🙂

Australian-American War (GTA Wiki)

I expect it refers to the demise of Gough Whitlam. The list is efforts to destabilise/overthrow foreign govts, which might - but doesn't necessarily - involve a war.

See: Iraq 2003 vs. Chile 1970 and 1973

Edited by JonS

2 hours ago, Jiggathebauce said:

If people are going to ask me to stay on topic, everyone else should as well.

Please don’t feel the request was aimed only at you! Simply the most recent at the time…rather than a reply to the flood of “Who is the worst in playing badly with others” game. Which should be a separate thread. Please!

10 minutes ago, JonS said:

I expect it refers to the demise of Gough Whitlam. The list is efforts to destabilise/overthrow foreign govts, which might - but doesn't necessarily - involve a war.

See: Iraq 2003 vs. Chile 1970 and 1973

Yeah, I also don't remember the U.S. having a war with Portugal or a bunch of other nations on that list. Was just kidding around.
Anyway, time to read about this Gough Whitlam fella. Always like reading history about new subjects I don't know much about. 🙂

2 hours ago, billbindc said:

This is a completely fair comment. While I enjoy the more outré takes on global history we're seeing lately it's getting rather too...well, outré. 

I think it is a whole lot like waiting for an op.  Sitting around and trying to fill the time as you sit on your ruck.  Weapons are spotless, you can see the map when you sleep and redraw it from memory.  Radios and gear have been checked twice.  Some guys play cards.  We played a game where we tried to figure out the order of who we would eat in the troop after a plane crash - Alive has just come out a few months before.  

So here we all are.  Waiting for the UA to cross the start line.  We have talked thru the scenarios.  Keep checking social media etc.  The kooks come round every now and again but even they don’t seem as into it.  We have kinda done German/Euro Bashing Day to death.  US Bashing Day isn’t even that fun - I mean we have to go back to freakin Guatemala in ‘54.

So, ya, it tracks that we drift OT.  So who do we eat first?

Edited by The_Capt

30 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

I think it is a whole lot like waiting for an op.  Sitting around and trying to fill the time as you sit on your ruck.  Weapons are spotless, you can see the map when you sleep and redraw it from memory.  Radios and gear have been checked twice.  Some guys play cards.  We played a game where we tried to figure out the order of who we would eat in the troop after a plane crash - Alive has just come out a few months before.  

So here we all are.  Waiting for the UA to cross the start line.  We have talked thru the scenarios.  Keep checking social media etc.  The kooks come round every now and again but even they don’t seem as into it.  We have kinda done German/Euro Bashing Day to death.  US Bashing Day isn’t even that fun - I mean we have to go back to freakin Guatemala in ‘54.

So, ya, it tracks that we drift OT.  So who do we eat first?

I am well marbled and hate the cold. I volunteer to go first. 

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3367924/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

The Presidential Drawdown is the thirty-sixth such drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine that the Biden Administration has authorized since August 2021. The capabilities in this package include:

• Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
  • 155mm and 105mm artillery rounds;
  • Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
  • AT-4 anti-armor weapon systems;
  • Anti-tank mines;
  • Demolition munitions for obstacle clearing;
  • Over 9 million rounds of small arms ammunition; 
  • Four logistics support vehicles;
  • Precision aerial munitions; 
  • Testing and diagnostic equipment to support vehicle maintenance and repair;
  • Port and harbor security equipment;
  • Spare parts and other field equipment.

This package is essentially all munitions and logistics equipment. I quite like the line about precision aerial munitions.

•  

5 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

You really need to allow yourself growth and accept nuance in your world view. It's not always US bad - other side good.

You're right, US is much better.

USA.png

I will say one thing, generally, about this topic and then hopefully we can move on.

Anybody that says the US is an altruistic force in this world, doing nothing but good for good reasons, is an idiot.  I'd ban anybody who even suggested such a thing simply because no good would come from the typing of anybody that stupid.  Since I haven't banned anybody for being this stupid (or brainwashed or whatever...) that means, logically speaking, there isn't anybody here making that case.  Therefore, posts like the one noted above are aimed at nobody here and therefore are, in their own way, equally pointless.

Where there is room for debate is how much good vs. how much bad that the US does.  Fair debate and often quite fun.  But if someone is coming into that argument without any perspective of what "good" and "bad" means in real terms, then it is impossible for them to compare the US to either standard.  Or it indicates a lack of knowledge about how the world works sufficient to have a meaningful opinion.

The above list is an excellent example of what I am speaking about.  That list is some of the worst tripe I've seen posted on this Forum in a long time.  Probably since I banned the last pro-Russian propagandist.  And if someone doesn't realize why this above noted list is so horribly bad, then that someone isn't armed with enough knowledge, analysis skills, or raw intelligence to enter into a discussion about the US' role in this world.  Seriously, that list is that bad.

So, to anybody thinking this list is anything other than a bad joke, I advise getting outside of whatever distorted bubble you're in and start looking for different sources of information.  And no, I am not just pointing this criticism at the person who posted this nonsense.  There's more than one here who has derailed this discussion with utter left or right wing claptrap before.

Steve

2 hours ago, JonS said:
2 hours ago, sburke said:

hmm  does @Gpig taste like Gbacon?

Before or after he gets lightly incinerated in a smoky plane wreck?

After I’m flattened and scorched by the Alien meteor, you can both feast on my well done, gammy leg. Har!