How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

53 minutes ago, Fenris said:

This is that HMMWV hitting a mine incident as seen from their recce drone

Here it is from the point of view of the Humwee crew: https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/yqz3hv/nucking_futs_turret_pov_antitank_mine_blast/

Humwee was designed with AT-mines in mind. Those pesky IEDs were the problem in middle east.

Edited by The_MonkeyKing

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

However, the most important factor is how many of Russia's "good" units manage to dig in around the embarkation points and put up a "Dunkirk" level of resistance. 

Wasn't the success at Dunkirk to a large extent based on the germans deciding to stop advancing? I doubt we will see the Ukrainians do the same.

What next? Winter pause? The Russians used a lot of the best of their rest defending Kherson to no avail. What do the Ukrainians have left in the tank? Morale will be sky high but logistically? Redeploy and split the land bridge, drive to Melitopol / Berdyansk and the coast? With Kerch Bridge not operating at full capacity, could threaten Crimea and supplies to all the Russian forces "trapped" in the south?

Numerous social media reports about encirclement and disater of "20 000 troops" in Kherson likely was just usual media panic and UKR PsyOps. Though, in the night our HIMARSes and likely arty shelled crossings in Kherson and Nova Kakhovka, but this obviously wasn't "massacre"

On theese videos you can hear sounds of intensive shellings

It's hard to say what real damage was inflicted to Russians, but here is morning video of Russian military correspondent from left bank

Damaged barge bridge with desrtoyed KAMAZ on it

17 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Numerous social media reports about encirclement and disater of "20 000 troops" in Kherson likely was just usual media panic and UKR PsyOps. Though, in the night our HIMARSes and likely arty shelled crossings in Kherson and Nova Kakhovka, but this obviously wasn't "massacre"

Thanks for your always level-headed info.

How succesful do you estimate the Russian withdrawal to have been?

8 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Thanks for your always level-headed info.

How succesful do you estimate the Russian withdrawal to have been?

Since they started retreat at least two weeks ago, this withdrawal was enough successfull, especailly for VDV, which in mass were moved on left bank in first order. From rearguard troops Russian media meant 205th MRBr, defending Snuhurivka area

Edited by Haiduk

16 hours ago, The_Capt said:

If it is, it is the weirdest operational trap I have seen.  I mean if the city was filled with Russian supporters /insurgents one could argue a "war to the knife" baiting.  If the RA had any possibility of operational manoeuvre on the north side of the Dnipro, maybe.  If we were talking a Stalingrad long game to pull the UA in and then cross back over the Dnipro for an encirclement later...but seriously, no.  The RA don't even have superiority of fires anymore really so a retreat so "we can smash you when you enter" doesn't match up.

Serious headscratcher on the "trap" thing to be honest.  Only thing I can think of is a nuke, but we have flogged that one to death...and the Russians don't need all the pretense, they just toss a nuke.

I honestly think it is an RA withdrawal because even their pretty dense strategic military level figured out that trying to defend from the wrong side of a river with your LOCs all shot to pieces is a bad idea.  Snow saw the fog and decided not to get eaten further in detail.

I'm sure you're right, but besides from lightening the tone, what about blowing the dam upriver?  Russia wouldn't do that would they?

Just now, Probus said:

I'm sure you're right, but besides from lightening the tone, what about blowing the dam upriver?  Russia wouldn't do that would they?

If they do it, the wave just will wash away all their defensive lines, being built on left bank near the water

Unfortunately, it looks like things aren’t gonna be so catastrophic for the Russians. For sure they’ve probably left stragglers and some pieces of heavier equipment left, but I doubt they would’ve blown the Dnipro bridges unless their units were almost all at least nominally across.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-it-has-completed-kherson-withdrawal-tass-2022-11-11/

Edited by pintere

It seem when you have a big bridgehead 40km deep(and 120km wide) and you can evacuate your personal during one night it is pretty hard for the enemy to press the advantage.

Especially with all the mining and obstacles and rearguard troops left behind to lay ambushes. With motorboats at the ready and waiting to leave last. Also the attacker has some serious fog of war and big risks I they read the situation or the timing wrong.

Meanwhile, fields around Pavlivka are a bit dry and Russians renewed assault. They claimed conrol over 90 % of village (up to the river) and even showed as they "raised a flag in the center of Pavlivka", but indeed it was geolocated on the same SE part of village, captured in first days of assault. The village is under shelling of both sides, UKR troops try to evacuate locals, no communication, so no insides from locals. It's likely village controlled 50/50 and clashes are continuing all around. 

The video from company tactical group of 23rd separate rifle battalion, which was thrown into the battle in this weekend

Rifle battalions are new units, established since 24th Feb. Initially they were just "foot infantry", using for movement donated pick-ups, or some "shtat" trucks, later some received few armor. Usually separate rifle battalions attach to existing brigades - one or two per brigade. But also they can be used as separate units to reinforce some direction. So, this is infantry for "stand and fight".

Edited by Haiduk

Now these two flags will hurt Russian butts.

3 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Footage this morning at the bridge site seems pretty peaceful.

Gives credibility to the statements Russian have already mostly crossed over.

Unfortunatelly true to an extent. Situation is too dynamic to asses it corectly, but rear guard was anyway left to die/surrender, so soldiers we see now may be them.

Edited by Beleg85