DAR - "Forging Steel" PBEM

1800-1801

The OP established by the crew from the immobilised armoured car continues to show itself valuable. They have identified yet another Panther moving east (my left), near point 205.2. Undoubtedly, this cat is moving to take up a battle position in anticipation of parrying a thrust on that flank. I believe it is not too great a leap of logic that the Cromwell I lost last turn has prompted this movement. I am happy for him to run his assets all over his interior lines in penny-packets in reaction to every move I make - asides from providing me with great intel it may provide me with some opportunities as the distance closes. 

This same OP (and, more alarmingly, a tank!) spot...the monster.

aX5cyce.png

A Pak-43, a dedicated 88mm anti-tank gun, a rare beastie. It's sat in a trench right on the forward edge of Obj "TOM", near a hedge. I am not sure what allowed us to spot it, I hadn't taken any fire this turn from that location. My best guess is that this was the culprit opening fire a few turns ago on the cruiser tanks snaking their way forward on the right. If so, that was a very costly break in fire discipline on Draper's part. Sadly, the OP doesn't have permission to call for fires; but one of the platoon leaders from the trailing vehicles will likely be aware of this gun soon and will set up an observation post to direct fires. 

The cruiser tank who spotted it is, I presume, in mortal peril and is ordered to fall back into better cover during the command phase. 

1801-1802

More Panthers this turn - 3, all moving behind point 205.2. 

paRti3t.png

They are tracked for some time before sight is lost of them in some trees. They are clearly heading towards Obj "TOM." What their final position will be is, at this time, a mystery to me. 

vkJ5lS3.png

The carrier section's dismounts have waded the first tributary with nary a shot fired. Farm 001 and its environs remains silent.

h7tGfhG.png

On the right, No. 6 Platoon's commander from B Coy has gotten word of the Pak43 and has dismounted to call for some fires on it. He should be in position next turn. 

JRMjKqT.png

Comments:

It's taking a while for this superb intel being gathered by the dismounted armoured car crew to disseminate across the formation. This isn't surprising given how tenuous their C2 links is presently with their section leader and platoon leader. I desperately want to firm up that C2 link, but cannot risk moving the section or troop leader, or really spare them as they are covering the movement of the vulnerable Dingoes are present time. I'd love to start using my intel advantage to start nipping at the Panther's heels, or trying to organise co-ordinated direct fires on the known AT positions, but patience is the by-word for now. 

Draper's fire discipline has, so far in my view, been pretty poor. I know that target arcs can be a double-edged sword, as @IanL is fond of saying, but I really can't stress their importance enough. He's given away a lot for, so far, very little return. All as a result of dicey engagements at extended range. 

1802-1803

C Company, on the left, begins motoring up to the woods (the same one the carrier leader set an OP up in) to debus and begin fording the river. I keep them light and do not take any further ammo or the PIATs, confident that the remaining three tanks can effectively protect them for now. 

Sr8KMXZ.png

The column is a bit strung out so there are still half tracks filing in even now. 

The Panthers continue their laborious movements up towards Obj TOM, and we catch fleeting glimpses of them as they move through and behind a small tree line. 

On the right, a Cruiser in cover near point 193.1 suddenly spots a Puma in the West village. It takes a shot and misses, low. The Puma appears unaware. As the turn ends, it is aiming a follow-up shot; range is 675m. 

5Lx06oo.png

Further behind, near point 207.8, No. 6 Platoon's leader has called for fire on the Pak43's position - ETA 8 minutes. Notice he does, in fact, have the ? contact on the position - once word reaches the regimental HQ it rapidly spreads out to both the tankers and infantrymen, as the Colonels are grouped together presently in a command post. 

HFAoenL.png

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Elizabeth rolls her eyes and mutters, "That's a bit like Noddle Head and my G-spot".

Bahahaha

Edited by Rinaldi

6 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Draper's fire discipline has, so far in my view, been pretty poor. I know that target arcs can be a double-edged sword, as @IanL is fond of saying, but I really can't stress their importance enough. He's given away a lot for, so far, very little return. All as a result of dicey engagements at extended range. 

Say my name and "cover arc" three times and I'll appear and tell you what I think of them :)

I'll just add that holding fire from AT guns could be considered a good use of the Cover Arc command. It is what is its for - preventing something from firing where you don't want it to. A broken record is correct twice a day - that's the saying right? :D

(Almost) From one extreme to the other on the PAK front.....But you have them bang to rights now! 

I'm guessing you are using 3" Mortars? 

What fire rate do you favour for missions like this.....I've become extremely fond of Harass/Maximum, as quite often while you are waiting for it to arrive, other things will present themselves for a stonking. 

PS - IMHO this works even better with On Map Mortars as you can end the barrage really fast by cancelling at the spotter's end and also using Clear Target on the firing mortars.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

40 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

(Almost) From one extreme to the other on the PAK front.....But you have them bang to rights now! 

I certainly hope so, knowledge is supposed to be power after all. Fortifications may frustrate that idea somewhat!

I'm guessing you are using 3" Mortars? 

Yes, that's correct. I've been sticking to the two sections of 3" I have and husbanding the heavier stuff for now. 

What fire rate do you favour for missions like this.....I've become extremely fond of Harass/Maximum, as quite often while you are waiting for it to arrive, other things will present themselves for a stonking. 

I don't have hard and fast rules, I generally use harass/long when I'm denying an area or am trying to destroy a fixed target with a weapon that is prone to heavy/rapid barrel heating (e.g: Soviet 152s). Slower rates of fire generally keep accuracy high with those kinds of weapons. I've been using medium/quick and light/shorts thus far, so they've been fairly heavy point fires. This mission profile is based on the facts that the 3" don't heat up fast, keep a fairly small dispersion, have relatively small bombs, and the enemy is dug in, etc. 

I generally take 3" on map myself when I have the chance, and for much the same reason as you. There's also always the chance for direct-lay fire, especially with combat on this scale and you can never go wrong with that. Alas, the arty is all off map on my end. 

17 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Ah big guns, how very Germanic!

MMM

On 12/24/2021 at 5:01 AM, danfrodo said:

PAK43 & panthers, definitely a tough row to hoe.  But you seem like you've got it well in hand.  Good luck, Old Chap!

It's been causing me a headache!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the patience, it has been a bit of a crazy week and a half back for me and I didn't have the time to type this all up. Let's get back into it. Last update, we were engaging a Puma which had made a sudden appearance...

1803-1804

All the action is on the right this turn.

The Puma reverses a few feet, just so that the OP can still see it but not the Cromwell, who does not fire a second time. This Puma is soon joined in the west village by a Panther, but the position the big cat takes makes it no immediate threat. 

LgM410N.png

Enemy artillery fire begins to fall on my right rear at this point, impacting along the muddy riverbed the armoured cars used to move forward. I don't recall seeing any spotting rounds so it seems self-evident that there's a reference point in this dead ground. Right idea, wrong timing from my opponent here; he's punching empty air. 

zcs3ZAf.png

1804-1805

More movement is reported on either flank this turn. More Panthers are spotted moving along a road behind Farm 002, and again in front of Hill 206.5. OBJ Tom is being built up into quite the Hornet's nest. Likewise, an OP spots a single German moving through west village, armed with just a pistol - someone of import, perhaps?

For all the weaponry facing me, I don't believe Draper really has a clear idea of what is going on. The recce have continued to push up without further incident. 

1805-1806

The call for fire is finally approved on the Pak43. Another 'fire for effect' is satisfyingly called on the Pak40 - and I strongly suspect and worry the mission on this latter AT position shall be off target. 

On the left, C Coy of the Rifles is preparing to ford the first of the two smaller river tributaries and has begun to dismount in anticipation of that. Their harbour is the treeline in which the carrier section had earlier established an OP/LP, you will recall.

wDyKXLx.png

On the right, the lead armoured cars have pushed up practically to the edge of the north village, which we know from our starting intel is occupied, without event. The west village continues to play host to its two dangerous armoured guests, but neither have pushed forward into threatening positions this turn either. 

I think it's time for a SITREP.

y30h2CZ.png

I think a picture is starting to firm up of Draper's defensive disposition and his intention re: the Panthers. It appears that "THORN" - the sandy ford on the left - is being dominated by fires from high ground near Farm 001 and 002, and the adjacent orchard. I'm a bit surprised so far, as none of my movement - if he can see it - has really suggested "I'm heading there now!" but given that he has a Pak40 covering the stone bridge leading to Farm 001, he likely feels confident he has this much better route covered. Anti-tank guns are like good and bad things, they tend to come in threes, and so far we've identified two Pak40s that can fire into the area leading up to Farm 001. Contrary to some, and I put this mildly, strange beliefs, anti-tank guns are tough to spot at range and tougher to kill when placed in fortifications and we know for a fact the Pak40 on Hill 204.1 has survived a considerable barrage already. I dare to hope the Pak43 on OBJ DICK will be knocked out, but that is equally doubtful given it is entrenched and in a good position. 

At this point I think its safe to say Draper has evenly distributed his defences. This makes selecting a course of action a bit frustrating. I've been able to bring up the entirety of the C Company tactical group, less the loss of that unfortunately exposed Cromwell, up to a position where they can get into action. So I am starting to lean towards COA1, the left flank. By contrast, B Company team remains stuck behind Hill 207.8, with the trailing Firefly. I'm well aware that trying to move over that ground once more risks fire from the Pak43. Every shot it gets will help it get on target and its only a matter of time before it strikes a fully loaded HT. The movement will only result as well in these infantry being dumped in front of a Panther (possibly more) in west village. So things appear, for now, a bit stuck. I will press forward on the right with what I have up there, but there's only so much they can do without infantry. At the very least, and despite the massive risk it poses, I want to test the fordability of the river in front of the west village. I should be able to do this while remaining out of sight of the Panther. 

A quiet set of turns, the building calm before the storm I should hope.

1806-1807

The stonk on the Pak40 goes in, blissfully on target. Rounds straddle the trench, hopefully injuring the crew or forcing them to hide. A direct hit is likely in its future as the barrage is ongoing as the turn ends. 

L4KeOZf.png

While the artillery goes in the remaining three cruisers from 10 Troop, C Squadron 5RIDG (which has been forward supporting C Coy of the Rifles) shifts left and coils up near the copse of trees. My intention is to move them into overwatch positions among the trees if the need arises. They are liaising with the Companies 2IC who remains mounted in a halftrack. 

The scouts, for their part, have begun to ford the second little tributary and probe towards Farm 001. 

Overall, there's very little to report on the right this turn, asides from the fact that the German mortar barrage continues to hammer that offensive piece of French terrain. I am, naturally, perfectly content for my opponent to expend indirect ammo in that way. 

1807-1808

The lead dismounted scouts are ambushed as they push up to a raised dirt road, losing (inevitably) a Bren gunner. He is killed outright by a MG at point blank range, situated in the reverse slope of the raised road. They do not actually spot the offending MG and therefore automatically continue with the pre-planned "hunt" waypoint given to them. This promptly gets the section leader shot; wounded by a rifle. The third able man reports possible contact - but from a different direction and location than expected. There seems to be more enemy contact further to the right, in addition to the MG to the front. 

cvxsBIq.png

Draper has evidently outposted the immediate vicinity of Farm 001. The surviving man crawls back to the rest of the section. 

In fact, this turn I detect similar outposts on the extreme right flank as well. I am not sure if these were already known due to pre-battle intel or some intensely lucky scanning by the armoured car crews, but in any event Draper clearly has units forward of the water obstacle across the entire area of operations. I am speculating that most of these are squad-sized tripwires at best, rather than forward fighting positions.

1808-1809

On the right "OAK" is reached and touched by an armoured car without incident.

OMhbSRu.png

I think the time has arrived to slowly start applying some actual combat power from my massive tactical reserve. I've identified a good OP for the battlegroup's FOO to bring some supportive fires down on the area in and around Obj "TOM". This will help support the movement of dismounted C Company, surely, and more importantly help organise smoke missions to facilitate a crossing by the heavier units. 

Below you can see the selected position, with the mortar stonk still falling on the Pak40s fighting position still on going in the distance.

DXsmaSk.png

I'm hopeful that Pak40 is toast, which means we now are dealing with two ATGs known to me from starting intel on the left flank: one in TOM and the other on Hill 204.1. From the above position we can put down some speculating fires on the area to try and stir up some movement and determine the status of the enemy guns, if possible.  

Edited by Rinaldi

On 1/26/2022 at 1:28 PM, landser said:

Superb AAR, enjoying it very much. Good hunting commander!

Much appreciated, thanks so much. Sadly I feel more like the hunted than hunter at present - as you'll see. 

1809-1810

On the right flank

Spotting rounds from my mortars begin to range in on the Pak43, and though these spotting rounds land well behind target, given the accuracy of the barrage on the Pak40 a moment ago, I'm quite confident that this fire mission will ultimately be on target. Whether it has effect, is another matter. The Lieutenant calling in on the Pak43 also reports another notable contact, yet another Panther spotted all the way on the left. A Panther in hiding, among the Orchard on Farm 002's land. 

uVDNWA7.png

On the left flank

C Coy of The Rifles advance through the copse of trees and prepares to advance to contact.

E7VoTD4.png

While the Battlegroup's assigned FOO hauls bottom to the OP I identified in my previous post:

8OSlq8L.png

I am anticipating a bit of an affray developing in the next 10 to 15 minutes for Farm 001 and, perhaps, even Objective TOM proper if Draper decides to push elements forward into the dead ground in support of Farm 001's garrison. In anticipation of escalation of violence, I am moving No. 9 Troop/C Sqn of the Dragoons, which is in a support by fire position on the right, to the left of the Squadron's positions. This will improve their field of fire in support of the dismounts. 

This is pretty much a soft admission that I am committed to COA1 at this point, the terrain is really just too good here viz-a-viz the large forces I need to put through this area, in contrast to the much congested COA2. In any event, I can still shift a troop to the right with relative haste if I need to. 

K33HbPZ.png

1810-1811

The lead section of C Coy cross the first part of the river without incident, with the dismounted scouts covering their right flank. These infantrymen draw fire, briefly, from an extremely optimistic Landser without incident. 

tXE6F3Y.png

VqavjGQ.png

The Cromwells and Firefly of No 9 Troop begin their move to their new position, bumping gently over the rougher ground as they move - as always - in masked terrain as much as possible.

baCRpd2.png

1812-1813

On the left

The scout section begins to identify enemy fighting positions, likely the same that gave them that first bloody nose earlier. These positions are fairly spread out and appear to form a picquet line. Not too surprising. 2" HE, smoke and Bren-gun fire will be placed on them to conduct a recce by fire as soon as practicable. 

No. 8 Platoon, part of C Coy, begins to take MG fire as they cross the first water obstacle. This platoon was the trail element of the company and now that James is likely alert to the movement of men, they are getting a naturally hotter reception. The fire is not on target and the platoon is in defilade before it can inflict any harm. 

D0NJfXH.png

The real dilemma is how to get up and over the raised road, seen in the background above, that separates these two tributaries of the river. This pseudo-causeway presents a fairly small, but extremely exposed, bit of ground to cross. The MG fire is well beyond range that even an entire company of small arms can effectively suppress (in fact it would be about as effective as spitting straight up in the air), so I will put my hope in 2" smoke and section-level smoke grenades to obscure as much as possible. 

On the right

A Dingo slips past the north village and begins to ford the water obstacle...no booms of cannons or the sharp crack of a high velocity gun. So far, so good, right? 

NIIpY83.png

Then suddenly there is a slight impact in a tree forward of the ford - a rifle grenade, most likely? The only nearby structure is a Barn, and the likely source of the rifle grenade. The overwatching Daimler II is ordered to spray it down briefly, whilst the Dingo carries on fording. 

Further behind this lead pair of armoured cars is the Troop leader, motoring forward in his own Daimler II. As he moves, he spots - astonishingly - a Puma in west village (the same one, I suspect, that had a brush with death earlier). He takes a shot on the gallop, harming nothing save the big blue sky.

3G1ABPo.png

He takes no return fire and, in any event, carries on without further incident this turn. Two cruisers follow up behind him, with a trailing third remaining in overwatch in the hope that Puma makes a third appearance. 

A slow burn on this one guys, I do apologise for that - but I also think you'll appreciate that much more than me dashing myself to pieces mindlessly. The heat does turn up, I assure you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Vacillator said:

I take it you're on the receiving end?

No God no, I am very much in the shark tank. I've applied all over England and Wales and now am waiting to hear back. As always, bitter disappointment anticipated :) - but lets distract ourselves with an update, as its a slow work day. 

----

1813-1814

On the left

A bad turn. 

The carrier section's dismounts are just starting to dust themselves off from the previous ambush and skip around the known enemy positions when they attract particularly savage attention from the high ground. First, the section leader's Bren-man is killed instantly by rifle fire. Less-than-accurate MG fire adds to the misery and, I suspect, rather creates the feeling that the men are quite near an incredibly peeved wasps' nest. The section's 2 inch mortar is busy engaging targets around Farm 001, in an attempt to cover the Troop's 2IC. The 2IC for his part is beginning to creep forward in the low ground when mortar rounds begin to splash all around them. I suspected at the time, and still do, that these were just accurate spotting rounds and not a TRP. Whatever the case, one bomb explodes right amidst the 2IC and his team, just as they reach good cover from small arms fire. 

YvuKmmr.png

The 2IC is killed instantly, while two of the ORs with him are incapacitated. Two men still capable of fighting raise their heads out of the mud, no doubt wondering what just happened.

C Coy's rifle platoons have begun to generate a smoke screen with their 2inchers and smoke pot/grenades in anticipation of going up and over the raised causeway. This pause also allows them to regain some stamina after dashing across under some MG fire. 

wErgwKZ.png

On the right

Despite the rifle grenade incident, the Dingo successfully fords the water obstacle, and immediately draws fire from enemy infantry in a foxhole to its right. However, by this point the supporting Daimler II has moved into position and promptly engages this position. The Dingo quickly identifies its assailants and adds to Jerry's misery. This little action has allowed for a third dingo to begin crossing unmolested. This is all very bread and butter recce stuff, "poking the enemy's eyes out" but I love it. It goes well, and by the end of the turn most of the enemies are made casualties or choosing discretion over valour. 

L5VXVBR.png

The Troop leader, in his own Daimler has orders to put some fire down on the Barn where the rifle grenade originated from. He is still hauling himself up to a position as the turn ends. 

So, we have a ford, now what? Well I intend to deal with the likely enemy outpost positions and push all four remaining Dingos and Daimlers up. After that, the trailing Cromwells can move forward into overwatch positions and I can get some infantry into the west village. That's the plan, anyways. 

Speaking of the Cromwells the trailing cruiser (No. 1 tank) has taken over from a Dingo in an overwatch position, covering the last known position of that pesky Puma. Sure enough, he spots the damned thing, buttoned up and moving further into west village.

sCR4vW6.png

The gunner spots it as well, no doubt laid on by the commander's vane sight, or his rudimentary manual traverse mechanism (I know the middle and later Shermans had this, as did Comets - fairly sure Cromwells had it too). They fire a round.

NtN3ZuQ.png

RB2Mw8f.png

The Puma merrily trots on, continuing its charmed existence. Target picture is lost shortly after. No doubt this Puma is moving to parry any further thrust by the armoured cars. 

1814-1815

On the right

Lets carry on with the action on the right.

All my clever little plans for the armoured cars goes right to hell immediately. The trailing Dingo bogs in the ford. Uh oh.

4ET9Rcu.png

One is a rather lonely number, however, so one of the Cromwells working its way forward to a supporting fire position also decides to bog in solidarity.

rv8DpK3.png

Why am I being persecuted? For the record, this is the first time I've had a Crommy bog in a long time, they are relatively light, by a narrow margin, to Shermans and I believe they have just better ground pressure (part of the reason why I love them). 

On the bright side, a rather bold pair of German pops up from the foxholes and make a run for it. They are promptly cut down by Bren fire from a Dingo. The Armoured cars begin working over the Barn and some other suspect buildings. 

bOZk8jc.png

On the left

C Coy gets moving again, making use of the obscuration they developed last turn. We're well beyond the realm of an administrative move and are now moving under fire, so the sections move by groups. The rifle groups move first, the gun groups trail thirty seconds behind. Brief halts are made to preserve stamina in good cover (which means, if they take fire that pins them, they're in excellent cover as well).

6bj4BC8.png

The entire company crosses the second tributary without incident. We're now in a position to move them up the flank of Farm 001. Hopefully, under a minimum of fire from the high ground overlooking the Farm. 

The mortar fire that took the recce's 2IC from us has now begun to fall uncomfortably close to where the carriers are laagered. They spread out a bit to reduce the chance of any damage, but I am mindful of the Pak gun potentially looking them over so not much more can be done than this small adjustment. 

1815-1816

On the right

The vehicles all regain traction and unbog. Thank goodness.

On the left

No. 9 Troop of C Squadron / 5 RIDG have finished shifting to the left and are now in a position to better support by fire, at extended range, the efforts of C Coy / 1st Rifles and the carrier section. 

8QnPlAt.png

vzG4Pq3.png

The dismounted riflemen, for their part, have completely finished moving across the second water obstacle. They will need another minute to catch their breath, but as I stated above they will be wheeling to the right, in bounding overwatch of platoons, towards Farm 001. 

JeAlQLl.png

Further, and finally, the FOO has established an OP and is able to confirm that the anti-tank gun on Hill 204.1, is still indeed intact. Now I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I want to stress how survivable AT guns are in even a modicum of fortification and placed with even a modicum of thought. The FOO immediately calls for another mission on this pesky PAK.

TCdoSXi.png

The FOO and the advancing riflemen of C Co/1st RB are also able to do some BDA on the other Pak Gun, the one the now deceased recce 2IC called in a few minutes ago. They confirm that it has been knocked out, likely along with the entirety of the crew. Gratifying to know the 2IC took some jerry with him. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 3:24 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Just discovered this AAR. Very enjoyable!

Thank you. We've been slowly but surely playing, there's been a few real life bottlenecks (as always), and of course current events have been, distracting, to say the least.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, Vacillator said:

Okay, well the very best of luck to you my friend.

And thanks for the update to the AAR, great work again.

Thank you, again. 

Before I begin with the update I'm going to plug my latest blog post, which covers the Op Encore campaign that came with Rome 2 Victory. It'll also explain why I've slowed down on the DAR front, I've been binging the singleplayer experience when I could have been doing more turns with James. Naughty, I know. Read it here. I also want to thank El Presidente Putin, who I believe is also on these forums, for constantly sending suggestions for edit that hide my embarrassing lack of command on the written word.  

1816-1817

On the right

The troop leader of the recce begins to ford the river to join the Dingos, who are busily engaging, with effect, some HMGs in the orchard that is contiguous with the West Village. 

bcPsz3b.png

5AShOSr.png

Suddenly, he spots a Panther edging forward into a shooting position. He would have been away and clear long before this Panther becomes an actual threat to him, except, his vehicle also bogs. He essentially bids the radio net farewell before being killed along with the entirety of his crew.

KhhWCD4.png

zg73bcM.png

The 11th Hussar's troop is now bereft of both its leaders. 

As some minor consolation, the "fire for effect" is finally called on the Pak43's position. Rounds do appear on target, but are straddling the trench. No direct hits. 

4nPhDCJ.png

Its starting to look like the efforts of the recce are culminating on both flanks. Asides from their casualties sharply increasing, they are starting to brush up against real resistance; entrenched anti-tank defences and main-line enemy armour. So, callous as it is, they're accomplishing quite a bit. I'm just not protecting them as well as I can or should be. I'm really upset at their losses, I hate appearing reckless with my recce. The cost is relative, however, and I need to remind myself that ultimately, we've unmasked a lot of key positions. 

With the Pak43 being hit, I am going to try and dash No 6 Platoon of B/1st Rifles forward under the cover of the Firefly. If I take any heavy fire or losses whilst doing this I am officially ruling out COA2 as the main effort. Fingers crossed I don't take fire from a new and unexpected direction. Speaking of that, I noticed Hill 204.1 has line of sight on the forward pair of Cromwells and the remnants of the armoured car section just as 1817 ends. The Cromwell troop leader, nervous about this threat zone, will be ordering a volley of HE fire from his forward section to address this threat. Here's a look at the planned movement:

H8gCwko.png

1817-1818

A busy turn.

On the right

It appears James and myself had the same realization about Hill 204.1's line of sight. Just as the Cromwells are slewing their turrets and adjusting to fire on the Hill, a round clangs off the left turret of one of them. A second round passes high and the Cromwells return fire, with equal lack of effect. 

iSNMNqr.png

HBkkCx8.png

At any rate, my FOO's fire mission is ranging in on Hill 204.1 at the same time as this brief exchange, and no further rounds come the Cromwell's way. I love little anecdotes like this - it shows you just how extreme the fidelity of the armour simulation can be, at least in the historical titles. 

Behind these Cromwells, near Hill 207.8, the Halftracks of No. 6 platoon make their dash through the open without drawing any evil attention. The Firefly rumbles forward to cover this movement and immediately engages a Panther at the rather optimistic range of 2500m. The round misses, but it will give Draper pause for thought. I will pull the Firefly back at end of the turn. This same Firefly also briefly identifies a second Panther moving in west village, though is never able to draw a bead on it. 

BEbWKbf.png

On the left

Despite the survivability move, a mortar round catches one of the recce carriers, knocking it out. This enemy mortar barrage finally fires the full effect, thankfully off target and without any further carnage. We always joke, James and I, that his incredible luck is only matched by my exceedingly poor luck. I wonder if he realised how much effect his random spotting rounds had versus his actual fire mission. 

TF9EEnU.png

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Rinaldi said:

This same Firefly also briefly identifies a second Panther moving in west village, though is never able to draw a bead on it.

We've all been there many a time.  Loving this thread though, beautifully reported ❤️.