Rinaldi

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzewr2wvd3opm5m/Detours Ahead.btt?dl=0

Category: Semi-historical

Type: Allied Probe

Weather: Light Rain

Wind: Medium, from W

Ground: Wet

Map size: 640 x 2000 

Map by: JonS - requires Battlepack; just a touched up QB map.

The scenario is a 'typical' vanguard mission that British, Canadian, Polish and American armoured/recce units would have done an untold amount of times during the pursuit across France and the Low Countries. The map in reality emulates terrain along the Albert Canal in Belgium. However, the terrain is not dissimilar to the canals and topography around the Channel Ports, particularly Dunkirk and Beruges. It was in that location the lead units of the 1st Canadian Army crossed the border into Belgium in early September.  I chose to do a 'what-if' encounter rather than a full recreation of an action because, frankly, I CBA. This of course provides me with considerable artistic licence. 

There are 5 AI plans of varying quality (by design). I am particular interested in feedback on:

• The impression/playability of the battle;
  • The challenge level as you viewed it; and
  • Your view on final point distribution, which currently is the least tested.

One for 'tread-heads.' This mission should require Commonwealth, Market Garden and the Battlepack.

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth lifts her eyes from her Whitehall Gazette and shouts, "Oi, Noddle Head, tell this bloke if he can't be arsed to write "can't be arsed" properly we can always send Mrs Axeman's husband around to help him out.

Noddle Head puts down his quart of Elizabeth's Whitehall Headsplitter Entire Butt and mumbles "I suppose you'll be wanting me to tell him that he got Bergues wrong as well?"

My first impression is that there are too many zig-zags for the map to look realistic, and enjoyable to fight on. Of course a lot of the problem lies with BFC themselves, rather than scenario designers. A decent road layout tool should have come with Engine 2 many years ago. Although even with the tools available you could improve a bit.

And having walked through this part of western Flanders in my teens, I think that the map could do with more trees, bushes, shrubs etc both lining the roads and field boundaries.

Of course my walk to Dunkirk didn't involve getting bombed by Stukas unlike Paddy's, but that is another story.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:28 AM, Vacilllator said:

An initial comment is that my Stuarts negotiated the zig-zag remarkably well, but I probably have grief to come.  Anyway thanks are due!

Glad to hear, that initial house was a problem area for most of my testers, wanted to see how the general public fared before I dared to touch Jon's work further. 

20 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

My first impression is that there are too many zig-zags for the map to look realistic, and enjoyable to fight on. 

And having walked through this part of western Flanders in my teens, I think that the map could do with more trees, bushes, shrubs etc both lining the roads and field boundaries.

Of course my walk to Dunkirk didn't involve getting bombed by Stukas unlike Paddy's, but that is another story.

Presently I haven't done anything to the map except crop it but you're echoing my playtesters re: the zigzags so I'll likely have a sitdown one evening and try to straight the roads without losing general shape. For my 2p I find the zig-zagging equally annoying and immersion breaking myself. I think I can get away with adding some accroutrements without needing to rethink the AI plans as well.

Thank you both, let me know how you fare. 

Yes, and I spoke a little bit soon, one of my Stuarts decided to 'detour' around the house in question, out to the right flank and then back to the road - no idea why.  The other three didn't, and not the re-mounted advance tank either.  I saw infantry first, but I know exactly what @Warts 'n' all is referring to and where it's coming from. 

Reinforcements have arrived, needed to adjust their facing and turn them around to get them going in the right direction.

In the interests of no spoiler alerts I think I may shift to PMing?

15 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

... you're echoing my playtesters re: the zigzags so I'll likely have a sitdown one evening and try to straight the roads without losing general shape ...

Sorry Rinaldi, haven't had time to look at your scenario, been rather occupied with some RL stuff, but have you had a look at Falaise's 22.5 degree roads mod - can help to get rid of some of the worst zigzags ...

Mod is here

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It is now ready for release, thanks so much to both @AlexUK and @Vacilllator for their feedback, and to everyone else. 

I have done the following changes:

- Changed the formation to a British one equipped with Cromwells, as I had some mod-tagged stuff laying about for them and wanted to create more scenarios that feature such vehicles.

- Edited the road near the Chateau to avoid the way pointing issues.

- Mild changes to the scoring to ensure you cannot win without forcing a surrender or exiting as intended.

- Mild changes to AI plans.

- Removed superfluous buildings in the main village to provide more field of fire to defenders. 

I've contacted @Bootie on the Discord, and I am sure he will have this all uploaded ASAP. 

The scenario: https://mega.nz/file/ywhQHBBT#5jWUnGtkzsPH_yKbLHr2VcltDsH3IlLvC6rorXpdV-E

The mod: https://mega.nz/file/WppGhKDR#weXrnvL-yC1FAwluAoq29Ow-hynUnlCBQwhNyFDkLaY - this .brz contains mod-tagged skins so there is nothing further you need to do with your mods.