Men against tanks

Just had a nightmare pointblank encounter between BMPs & M113s in a forest.....I think my (reinforced) BMP platoon came off better, mostly because I had already debussed my infantry, there sure were a lot of red crosses when we brewed those tracks up!  :o

I'm trying to decide which game is more brutal, this one, or CM:RT.....At the moment the carnage in the Karelian Isthmus is still just about edging it for CM:RT, but it's getting pretty close with battles like that one!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Are we even playing the same game? The Browning .50cal is utterly brutal toward the enormous number of paper-armored German recon cars and half tracks they've got tons of. 

Murphy didn't kill anything bigger than a man with that Browning. He fought extremely hard and by all accounts did something very heroic and selfless in the face of a terrifying situation. The overpowering imagery and depictions of his fight are universally illustrating events which Did Not Happen Like That and paint an embellished idea of the battle obviously to sell war bonds and support Hawk policies post war. 

Incidentally, it was not even the first time Murphy did something worth earning a Medal of Honor for. The man's entire career was an insane defiance of death and odds and it left him by the way - with no shortage of emotional and drug problems after the war. He clearly felt that his life and exploits had been violated to some degree by a system with an ulterior motive. That's a far more interesting discussion to me than "oh if only CM would model the special AP incendiary round I read about on wikipedia". 

Edited by SimpleSimon

11 minutes ago, Hapless said:

I think the OP's point is more about how some of the pintle-mounted .50s on US vehicles don't ever get used.

The 75 mm Shermans don't use them on the light fire command but the 76 mm do. I tried it out in FB as I think they are effective against buildings. 

I  believe the problem is that the TC would have to get out of his seat and stand on the engine deck to use the Ma Deuce to fire forward in the case of the TDs. That's a little bit outside the parameters of the "simulation"... Maybe it could be programmed, but it's not an insignificant addition and clearly BFC have decided that it's not worth the effort for the vanishingly rare (even in our exception-gaming that we undertake) cases where its availability would make a difference. It'd probably only be available to a Fanatic commander at all, and most of the time, even for such a committed individual, adding the BMG to the mix wouldn't make sense. And then people would start finding ways to provoke it, it'd happen "all the time" and another segment of the demographic would start pooh-poohing it as "unrealistic depiction favouring the Americans".

Really not worth the candle.

War is like a horse race you must bet on the winning horse. This guy didn't but destroyed 13 Soviet tanks. Men against tanks he was 18 years and served his time after the war. Once he knew the truth he regretted he ever joined up.

Edited by chuckdyke