About to be overrun at the 2 Fahrbahns

Hi Aragorn, yes, this was a good battle for getting used to the A2.  so far I've fought two small, fun defensive CW battles.  However, it's an historic anniversary today, May 8 1945, so I am moving over to F&R.  Decided to start w On to Berlin campaign.   Three mini-campaigns broken into three battles each, starting Poland Jan 1945.  Should be fun. 

After that I will betray my soviet comrades in the 1980s and destroy them on some of the terrain :)

What battles are next for you?

On 5/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, Redwolf said:

I also trusted my missiles and set things up to fight at maximum range. Worked well.

Mitteloberunteraschenbach or whatever it's called. Or one that I'm sure is in 1982, yeah, I'm looking for a short armor fight in 82.

Edited by CaptainTheDark

3 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Hi Aragorn, yes, this was a good battle for getting used to the A2.  so far I've fought two small, fun defensive CW battles.  However, it's an historic anniversary today, May 8 1945, so I am moving over to F&R.  Decided to start w On to Berlin campaign.   Three mini-campaigns broken into three battles each, starting Poland Jan 1945.  Should be fun. 

After that I will betray my soviet comrades in the 1980s and destroy them on some of the terrain :)

What battles are next for you?

Well, Dan, I've enjoyed Scouts Out very much, played it several times, but I'm mainly working on my Lions scenario. For FR I'm playing Mit Karacho and Feierabend. It's all a bit overwhelming, so much to choose from. This will keep us busy for years to come.

Apart from the above I'm spending quite some time in the editors. Looking at the scenarios there makes me realize how amateuristic my own work is. 🤨

And I'm also planning on a CW scenario playing as the Russians would you believe. 🙂

Edited by Aragorn2002

8 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Aragorn playing CW as the soviets!  Never thought I'd see that in writing :)  Good luck Comrade

Please don't call me that, my friend. 😆

I only study them, so I can kill more of them. Know your enemy 🙂

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 5/6/2021 at 7:45 PM, Combatintman said:

From a Beta test ... but can anyone match this ....

Kills.thumb.jpg.32a20386f450d0a963ea15e1508d5d64.jpg

Played first as USA Wego/Iron. Just about gotta victory. My first impressions was that's an ugly looking tank, what am I supposed to do with that!

But to be fair it seemed more effective than other's in the USA inventory I've played with. I've started 2x USA campaigns, only to discover I have a lot to learn, so before continuing with the campaigns, I'd try to at least win a battle or two.

Also the 2x M150's were very effective too and arrived just in time. Enjoyed the scenario.

Then played as the Russians and it was more straightforward, but I was a surprised at how many T72's I lost.

Just played this one H2H as the US and managed to pull off a major victory despite losing all of my M60’s.  Really good scenario, went right down to the wire, kudos to the author.  The M60A2’s Shillelagh missiles are great at distance, but their HEAT option for closer engagements is very weak against the T72’s.  I was impressed with the M150’s - the AI handles them well and reversed them out of danger after engaging a target.  Great fun and recommended as H2H.

I'm on my third playthrough. 1st as US, put the M60s hull down on the flanks and slaughtered the Ruskies at long range. 

2nd as the Red storm I held off at long range with the T72s and blasted the linear road target with mortars and rockets. Then sent in one aircraft.  It seems only one MANPAD had survived and it missed. My tanks killed everything eventually, including the TOW 113s. Although I had wiped out the US force with negligible casualties (2 BMPs and a damaged tank, lost all the foot scouts though), I was just too slow in getting to the road so got a Russian Minor Defeat. 

Game 3 I am not doing so well as the Soviets. Although I felt I used the arty and air better, there was less effect and got one plane shot down.  Minor variations in deployment of the armour (or bad luck in not spotting the M150s immediately) means I am down a few tanks with both M150s and 2-3 M60s still active. 16 minutes left on the clock.

I don't think there is much wrong with the game design, but the TacAI of my own troops is frustrating me. BMPs don't seem to fire their 73mm. I can't seem to shell places where I think US troops are hiding; they have wasted a few ATGMs on buildings though. The long delay in bringing down artillery does hamper my attacks.  The two ground attack aircraft use their cannons mostly and depart the scene with most of their bombs and missiles onboard - they seem to spend about 5 minutes between attacks coming round.  So it is difficult to bring the full firepower of my Evil Commie B'staads to bear on the Lackey Capitalist running dogs of the US army.

Just finished my second playthrough. First as the US, I destroyed the Soviet force and got a total victory without too much trouble but a couple of the M60s got heavily damaged with their guns knocked out. I don't remember if I lost any of the M60s outright, but a bunch of my infantry got killed by artillery.

Second playthrough as the Soviets and it went surprisingly well. Way better than I thought it would after I stupidly ran one of the recon teams right into American pre-planned artillery at the start. After that, one of the T72s started taking potshots at an M60 from the far edge of the map. The M60 popped smoke and pulled back after a couple non-penetrating hits. Then two more M60s popped smoke and reversed. I took this as an opportunity to charge my entire force at full speed ahead to some dead ground in the center of the map. There I hid them until the moment was right.

I had my air support set to come in after a delay, and when they finally came in they proceeded to do jack. One of the planes circled around, did nothing and then left, then the other blew up a standard M113 with a missile and then got shot down. Every single one of the US MANPADs survived the bombardment. No matter though, because after that, all my reinforcements had arrived and I had every vehicle in my force charge forward from the dead ground in one giant mass. The Americans didn't stand a chance. I overran the American right flank, wiping out their entire force within minutes. There were still 20 minutes left on the clock. I lost only 7 dead and 4 wounded, with 3 tanks lost and a few more damaged. One tank stuck in the mud. The Americans only had 4 men remaining out of 80.

Very fun scenario and good game. :)

@Bozowans interesting approach.  After SF2 and particularly BS I am kinda conditioned that rushing forward is a recipe for disaster. Perhaps I need a bit of time in a Soviet Reeducation Camp to get the proper gung ho aggressive spirit.  Interested that your air seems pretty ineffective too. 

• 2 months later...

Fun mission, 17 of my casualties were from artillery and enemy CAS, only one M150 and one M60A2 actually got taken out by enemy tanks with ammo detonations on both of them. I'm much more impressed by the accuracy of the artillery than I was with either the TOW or Shillelagh, I took out two tanks and I'm guessing disabled another just using the artillery on point target.

fahrbahn.png

Seems like everyone has to play CMBS before playing CMCW :) Specifically RUS vs US or at least UKR vs RUS.

SPOILERS!!!

IMHO playing vs AI the only thing to fight for is the forest on the Blue's right flank / Red's left. Whoever controls this - slaughters the other side. Built-up area in the center can be a minor remedy yet taking one's armor there incurs significant penalty if one does not control the forest. Like in CMBS - concentrate all your forces to seize the controlling features and play for delay for the rest of the map. If you bother at all.

PS CMCW is pure gold! Kudos to the team - arguably the best release ever!

Edited by IMHO

On 7/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, Codreanu said:

Fun mission, 17 of my casualties were from artillery and enemy CAS, only one M150 and one M60A2 actually got taken out by enemy tanks with ammo detonations on both of them. I'm much more impressed by the accuracy of the artillery than I was with either the TOW or Shillelagh, I took out two tanks and I'm guessing disabled another just using the artillery on point target.

fahrbahn.png

I think I lost 4 tanks and a TOW vehicle playing RT Elite, so good on you!

I just had to share...

I have one split AT team posted in one of the buildings out in the front of the US setup zone.  Those two men in the last turn went from "cowering" from artillery, to then quickly and calmly taking out a T-72 at about 350m with a Dragon on the far right that had sprinted across the open ground and was approaching one of my infantry squads posted in the woods over there, direct hit on the flank of the Soviet tank instantly killed it.  They immediately went to pinned and shaken after this kill because of the artillery still landing around the buildings, the AT gunner calmly reloads the Dragon, turns to the front, sees another T-72 coming around those buildings in front about 500m away, aims and makes a one shot kill of that tank!  All in one minute!  

They are definitely getting medals in my book, if they survive....