Just received an email - it's on!

3 hours ago, Jabble said:

Not if it's a home machine and you trust the people who live with you.  Of course if your work involves dealing with nuclear launch codes and your lodger's name is Philby, Burgess or Mclean, then it might be an issue.

Having an admin account is not about trusting the people you live with. It's about denying applications being able to make changes to important settings on your computer without your explicit permission. Many other OS's including mac and linuxes require you to enter a password before installing new software. It does offer complete protection of course, but it eliminates a bunch of them :).

Warming up while downloading...

We where supposed to be neutral in Sweden when I did my military service in Sweden in 1989 and there where supposedly two different tank recognition books. One with Soviet tanks and one with Nato tanks. We never got a copy of the Nato version (for some reason?) so I only know how to identify Swedish or Soviet tanks. So I got to study up on the US vehicles while the download is running. We got an aircraft recognition book that I still have from the airforce that also included US aircraft but the cover photo kind of gave away who might be the real enemy? The lower aircraft is a Swedish JA-37 Viggen on border patrol over the Baltics in the Cold War...

Browsing it there is an interesting page about the possible F-19 that was actually the F-117 in reality (the book as can be seen is from 1987 and the F-117 was not revealed until 1988)... That old F-19 Stealth Fighter game from one year after this book looks a bit like it... The text translated starts with "Certain information is available about this "invisible" aircraft that is developed using so called stealth technology. The project is protected with great secrecy so very little information is available about it...". 

Getting geared up into Cold War mood now :)

IMG_20210501_013117.png

IMG_20210501_014012.png

Edited by mazex

2 hours ago, mazex said:

Browsing it there is an interesting page about the possible F-19 that was actually the F-117 in reality (the book as can be seen is from 1987 and the F-117 was not revealed until 1988)... That old F-19 Stealth Fighter game from one year after this book looks a bit like it... The text translated starts with "Certain information is available about this "invisible" aircraft that is developed using so called stealth technology. The project is protected with great secrecy so very little information is available about it...". 

Ha, that is really cool! 

The ol' Frisbee, from Clancy's Red Storm Rising. 

12 hours ago, stikkypixie said:

Having an admin account is not about trusting the people you live with. It's about denying applications being able to make changes to important settings on your computer without your explicit permission. Many other OS's including mac and linuxes require you to enter a password before installing new software. It does offer complete protection of course, but it eliminates a bunch of them :).

Ah, that was more a joke.  While you have a reasonable point, the vast majority of PC users I know use admin accounts for normal use without problems.  It's a safety vs convenience issue, but if people are aware of the problems then dangers can be avoided e.g. not downloading & installing anything you don't know to be safe.  Even in admin mode it should still need a confirmation before running anything - it needs a deliberate choice to continue.  A shared computer will be very restrictive if people are unable to install things - arguably it's better to teach people to be careful.

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

Update:

All my problems vanish as soon as I run the game as administrator (from my non-administrator account).

Thank you again for all the good advice!

Best regards,
Thomm

actually your problems are just beginning... don't start with the Russian campaign is all I'll say.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:52 PM, Megalon Jones said:

Question for the developers:  what scenario should I do first for a YouTube AAR?

I'm not one of the developers, but why not take the one with the infantry and some armoured vehicles? That one should be good enough. But only if there are trees present as well as everything else.

Edited by BornGinger