Just received an email - it's on!

7 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Thank you all for the support.

I am sure that it will get sorted out somehow. What puzzles me is that I seem to be the only one with this problem ... with a perfectly ordinary computer and setup.

Best regards,
Thomm

Did you sacrifice a chicken or goat before you started the install?  That's the part the instructions leave out.

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

List of battles is empty in my installation.

I can move the selection, but no labels are displayed.

Best regards
Thomm

@Thomm I had the same issue. My guess is you installed the game as a super user and are running your game as a regular user. The battle and the game files are should be located under C:\Users\<your admin users>\Documents\Battefront\Combat Mission\Cold War

Simply copy those files over to the same location for your regular user and you are good to go!

17 minutes ago, stikkypixie said:

@Thomm I had the same issue. My guess is you installed the game as a super user and are running your game as a regular user. The battle and the game files are should be located under C:\Users\<your admin users>\Documents\Battefront\Combat Mission\Cold War

Simply copy those files over to the same location for your regular user and you are good to go!

Wow, you found the explanation!!!!!

But wouldn't this happen to a lot of people??

I have to emphasize that BFCElvis helped me out with a pragmatic workaround in the meantime!

Best regards,
Thomm

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

Wow, you found the explanation!!!!!

But wouldn't this happen to a lot of people??

I have to emphasize that BFCElvis helped me out with a pragmatic workaround in the meantime!

Best regards,
Thomm

A lot of people use their admin account as their everyday. Only explanation I can think off. Once the steam version is out this will be auto resolved :)

1 hour ago, stikkypixie said:

A lot of people use their admin account as their everyday. Only explanation I can think off. Once the steam version is out this will be auto resolved :)

I guess most players will use their home machines, where typically there's only one admin account.  It will be different for shared machines and/or those also used for (now delayed 🙄) work.

4 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I mean, isn't this rather unsafe?

Best regards,
Thomm

Not if it's a home machine and you trust the people who live with you.  Of course if your work involves dealing with nuclear launch codes and your lodger's name is Philby, Burgess or Mclean, then it might be an issue.

I am sorry, but I am getting desperate.

If I want to play the game (=save hotkeys) as user 'Thomm', who is not an admin, how do I have to install it?

The ReadMe file (available after installation 😉) says:

The game does not require any "elevated privileges" (e.g. "Run as admin") under Windows, nor any compatibility settings. Note that if you install and launch the game with elevated or changed permissions anyway, you will be required to ALWAYS run the game with these changed permissions from then on. For more information about "user privileges", please see the Microsoft Windows manual for UAC (User Account Control).

Yet the installer asked for the admin password.

Was I supposed to deny it?

Can I play only as admin?

It can't be that hard, now, can it?!

Best regard,
Thomm

Edited by Thomm

5 minutes ago, Thomm said:

If I want to play the game (=save hotkeys) as user 'Thomm', who is not an admin, how do I have to install it?

The game does not require any "elevated privileges" (e.g. "Run as admin") under Windows, nor any compatibility settings. Note that if you install and launch the game with elevated or changed permissions anyway, you will be required to ALWAYS run the game with these changed permissions from then on. For more information about "user privileges", please see the Microsoft Windows manual for UAC (User Account Control).

Best regard,
Thomm

If Windows is prompting you for an admin password it's because you are trying to install it to a folder that requires admin rights. I suggest making a "Games" folder or something to install it to.

27 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I am sorry, but I am getting desperate...

20 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

If Windows is prompting you for an admin password it's because you are trying to install it to a folder that requires admin rights. I suggest making a "Games" folder or something to install it to.

That's good advice. "C:\games" is where I put 'em all.  Basically avoid installing them under "Program Files" where there is elevated security giving rise to problems as you describe.

Edited by Jabble

29 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Best regard,
Thomm

I think you have installed the game under admin permissions, and or made changes to the permissions for the default user? I'd try reinstalling it with your normal user or running as admin. 

29 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

Now this is completely logical! I apologize for being such a noob!

Guess I was spoiled by Steam over the last years, and by having a system administrator at hand in the office.

I shall try to re-install into a Games folder as suggested!

Thank you very much for your kind help!

Best regards,
Thomm

Well, the installer asks for the admin password right away (when I am non-admin user Thomm).

After that, nothing has changed. Even though I installed to a new 'Games' folder.

No Game Files in my Document folder.

Hotkeys cannot be saved.

I just want to install this game.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to log in as admin? Would this help?

Best regards,
Thomm

3 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Well, the installer asks for the admin password right away (when I am non-admin user Thomm).

Just a thought - where did you put the installer?  If it's also somewhere with elevated security, the same problem happens.  You could try putting the installer in another directory under "\games".

2 minutes ago, Thomm said:

After that, nothing has changed. Even though I installed to a new 'Games' folder.

No Game Files in my Document folder.

Hotkeys cannot be saved.

I just want to install this game.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to log in as admin? Would this help?

Best regards,
Thomm

Well, I guess I should have been more specific. You are using a non-admin account, so you have to supply an admin account everytime UAC gets tripped, and UAC will usually trigger when an installer is accessed because the installer is going to do things like alter the registry, so that is normal.

I blasted through the install this morning so I already forget if it is an option, but if any installer prompts you for "All users" vs "this user only" you generally always want "this user only", otherwise Windows will dump user data in the c:\Users\Public other than c:\Users\You or sometimes C:\ProgramData\