modding early war Soviets...

34 minutes ago, t34577685 said:

Hello, man, I used to use cmfi Italian soldier's Leggings material mapping to do Soviet Leggings mapping, I don't know if you need it😀93ow3bf.png

4ZRfW24.png

yA3DPLd.png

myrApFe.png

Thank you that very kind of you and a good Idea, but we did already.

But your help is very welcome.😉

Kohl, no texture file for the grenade bundle?  Did you somehow make the mdr show the grenade texture in multiple images????

Or did you use the demo charge files instead of one of the various grenade files (since the latter are side-specific, but the demo seems universal to both sides)?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by mjkerner

Hey Mark,

Frenchy56 did the blender work. He is pretty awesome! 

In my dropbox folder connected to my link is his new demo charge mdr, a modtag text file I did to summon it forth in scenarios and a short readme I did up.

In the readme I said the below:

This is the modding work of kohlenklau and Frenchy56.

I had the idea. Frenchy56 did the mdr file work.

It uses the existing bmp for the German stick grenade.

I made the modtag text file for your scenario folder.

WARNING: Frenchy56 said that both axis and allies use the same mdr so if you summon this mod for German breach teams for example, then the ALLIES get the same image in the game. So, don't purchase engineers for the other side I guess is the work around.

kohlenklau

Frenchy must have used the demo charge, though, or else why would engineers be the only opposing troops that will use the bundle? There are various separate textures for all the various combatants' grenades, but only one for the demo charge. I thought maybe he some how tripled-up the stick grenade model in the demo charge mdr. Using the demo charge would mean all the other German grenades won't show as a grenade bundle. Anyway, I'm just curious.

Yeah, he took the grenade mdr and reworked it in blender and then saved it as the demo charge file name but it still looks for the grenade texture.

The OTHER stick grenades stay unaltered.

Both axis and allies demo charge would appear as this grenade bundle. warning to scenario writers.

If you are a CM WW2 uniform modder and have messed with the mdr's, mds's and bmp's...or are a forum bubba with good inputs...please chime in. :-)

What do we have available to "borrow" that can best present on screen as the earlier Soviet uniform? 

Germans: Among all the titles, we have the M43 ("double" inner/outer open collar, thigh length tunic), the various wraps, the smocks, the great coat, CMFB added in some hoodies, the Luftwaffe camo stuff and FJ bonesack. What will F&R bring?

Soviets: CMRT so far has Soviet M43 with the "mandarin" collar and 3D modelled shoulder boards. T-34 tank crew coveralls. F&R brings some "good new stuff"

British/Commonwealth: war economy waist lengthy battle dress jacket, the spiffy shorts ansd shirt yacht club combo, tanker coverallls. Great coats

Italians: Rome high fashion open collar uniform. Tanker leather coat and that funky helmet. I just bought R2V. Anything new?

South Africans/French/Brazilians: I still gotta look it over in depth (But I assume nothing really new for 3D models)

Ooops, forgot my own country! USA: nothing there we can use as far as I can tell. 

What can be grabbed to BEST portray the early war Soviet collared uniform? <I don't have the "M number" handy.>

My current thought is to try and make the current Soviet M43 shoulder boards transparent and then just add rank badges to the collars and see how that presents itself...

• 3 months later...

This is my long range, long term plan. 

Scenario 1 is PRESENTED to be the summer of 1941. Actual scenario editor date of course must be June 1944. Germans attacking. Soviets defending. This scenario name can be "Scorched Earth"

Scenario 2 is PRESENTED to be the winter of 1941. Actual scenario editor date of course must be December 1944. Soviets attacking. Germans defending. This scenario name can be "Frozen Meat"

Goal will be to mod the Soviet and German uniforms to make the scenarios seem to be 1941. I will try my best to purchase units with the best "1941 style weapons". This means I try NOT to have any panzershrecks, panzerfausts, MG42, STG44. The same with the Soviets to try not to see the PPsH-43.

I will try to mod a set of German items in Panzer Grey. 

I have a hope to use Blender to augment the scenarios in other ways...we'll see.

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

This is my long range, long term plan. 

Scenario 1 is PRESENTED to be the summer of 1941. Actual scenario editor date of course must be June 1944. Germans attacking. Soviets defending. This scenario name can be "Scorched Earth"

Goal will be to mod the Soviet and German uniforms to make the scenarios seem to be 1941. I will try my best to purchase units with the best "1941 style weapons". This means I try NOT to have any panzershrecks, panzerfausts, MG42, STG44. The same with the Soviets to try not to see the PPsH-43.

I have a map, almost finished, that I was planning for use with my June 22, 1941 scenario (hopefully morphing into a mini-campaign based on a company of the Soviet 310th Rifle Regiment of the 8th Rifle Division). I am intending to use no mods and try to weed out (delete) from the OOB anything that was not present during that time frame although that's probably impossible at the individual squad level as far as their personal weapons. That being said, if there are mods available when this comes further in the design process, I'd certainly be willing to use them.

4 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Nice to see bayonets, Phil! More blender work?

Yes, BLENDER is a handy little friend.

I figured it is iconic for Barbarossa to have those bayonets on the Mosins! I already made a v2.0 where the color is steel versus a bit of the brownish stock texture you see above. But I also have to go make sure they are not TOO long as well. I need to make them a tad bit shorter...

The M36 helmet was made by @JM Stuff and still needs some texture UV mapping work. I did buy another version for $5 off the internet. So, either way, we have the older style Red Army helmet!

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Not a Barbarossa Baby, better for anyone trying to make Fall Blau Summer 1942 offensive scenarios...a PzIV Ausf G (late).

THIS IS NOT MY MODDING! This is Nigel's I think. @NPye from the Stalingrad Mod.

Or maybe Dennis's work? @umlaut

I forget. 

My god, you´re a busy bee, Phil! Another modding project?
I am really curious about which soviet vehicles you are going to use for a Barbarossa project. I see no way to make many of those early vehicles - or what?

Your post had me looking at the old german vehicles (24th PD) we made for the Stalingrad project. Here are some of them - but I guess you already have them?

The Pz IV in your picture is not mine. I am pretty sure it is Nigel´s. As is the one below, but a different version.
I think I made a short barreled version of it myself. But I cant find it right now. Shouldn´t be too hard to make, though.

24pd.jpg?dl=1

54 minutes ago, umlaut said:

Here are some of them - but I guess you already have them?

Actually, I do NOT have the complete set. Are they in CMMODS? Or can I please get from you some other way. PM me a dropbox link maybe?

54 minutes ago, umlaut said:

Another modding project?

Kind of nuts I guess, but I like to have a lot of stuff going on so I can flitter back and forth or to allow for dead time or delays...

Edited by kohlenklau

If Dennis slides me those mods from back in 2016 and I have a few more finished, we have a nice set of Barbarossa Babies to play with. THEN...we go look at Soviets.

Here are my main 2 Barbarossa Babies (PziiiG on the right and my PzIVF1 blender mod on the left, I still have to gray the wheels and add more markings to match the pziiiG...)

XON7x9Z.png