FRAPS no longer works in CM games?

I had to get a new computer last month cuz the old one fried.  Just today I re-downloaded and installed FRAPS. It doesn't work in any of my CM games, but works normally in my other computer games. Anyone have any ideas why, and how to get it working in CM?  (I uninstalled-reinstalled FRAPS several times, and always with no games running in the background. No joy no matter what I tried.)

Thanks Sarge. I used the latest exe from FRAPS. I tried yours(thanks for that), but still nothing in game. Literally, nothing shows up on my game screen. No fps counter showing,  neither screen shots or movie recording work. Nada.  It all works as intended for every other game--IL2-1946 and a few others. I'm stumped.

I had the same experience with FRAPS awhile back (year or two?) and haven't used it since. However, I discovered that the built-in Game Bar feature in Windows does everything FRAPS does and more. You might want to check that out.

Be sure it's enabled in your system settings. Then, Windows key+G to toggle. There are lots of other hot key combos that you can discover by hovering after toggling on. The two main ones:

Winkey+Alt+Printscreen for screenshot

Winkey+Alt+R for video record (toggle)

Default save location for captures is Videos/Captures.

Edited by Macisle

Hey, good to know, Macisle, thanks! I'll check that out. Still can't think of a reason FRAPS doesn't work in CM. Last month with the old computer, other than a different HD and computer stats, it was basically set up the same. Using Windows 10, all the CM games reinstalled, etc. Interestingly, Bil, I was able to use Print Screen then, too, but that doesn't work either now. I can't figure what I could have done that FRAPS no longer works in CM

That all sounds a bit coincidental, as though neither FRAPS or PrintScreenSysRq are seeing the graphics created for CM (I reckon FRAPS is probably working OK, just not looking in the right place).....I think pinging @Schrullenhaft might be an idea.

You're not running CM in a window are you?  I noticed a couple of games (not CM in my case) which while looking like they were running full screen, were actually running in a window about the same size (but if you took the cursor to the edge of the screen you could drag the window inwards shrinking it).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

I had to get a new computer last month cuz the old one fried.  Just today I re-downloaded and installed FRAPS. It doesn't work in any of my CM games, but works normally in my other computer games. Anyone have any ideas why, and how to get it working in CM?  (I uninstalled-reinstalled FRAPS several times, and always with no games running in the background. No joy no matter what I tried.)

FRAPS still works for me.  If anybody would understand the problem it would probably be @Schrullenhaft.   

I see @Sgt.Squarehead beat me to it. :D

Edited by MOS:96B2P

4 hours ago, Macisle said:

I had the same experience with FRAPS awhile back (year or two?) and haven't used it since. However, I discovered that the built-in Game Bar feature in Windows does everything FRAPS does and more. You might want to check that out.

Be sure it's enabled in your system settings. Then, Windows key+G to toggle. There are lots of other hot key combos that you can discover by hovering after toggling on. The two main ones:

Winkey+Alt+Printscreen for screenshot

Winkey+Alt+R for video record (toggle)

Default save location for captures is Videos/Captures.

I followed your directions  Windows+G to call up and it worked. You can select Microsoft Edge or Steam for your recording. It could be to record the Game's Steam version. I have not ried to record a game ye

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

I followed your directions  Windows+G to call up and it worked. You can select Microsoft Edge or Steam for your recording. It could be to record the Game's Steam version. I have not ried to record a game ye

I've never used it in conjunction with another program. Just standalone.  So far, I've successfully taken screenshots of games and/or other apps, along with recording both game vids and any kind of streaming video. Seems to work great, with lower capture file sizes (directly into .mp4) than FRAPS. Also has some handy RT performance diagnostics in the Game Bar, along with various other features that I haven't explored. I pretty much just use the hotkeys for screenies or video and don't actually open the whole Game Bar CP.

I don't see a need for FRAPS now. Especially with the huge capture file sizes it creates.

I have version 3.5.99 of FRAPS working fine in CM games under Windows 10 20H2 x64 with an Nvidia video card using the 456.71 drivers (not the very latest). I'm just using the default options for FRAPS, which includes the hotkeys of F10 (Screen Capture), F11 (Benchmarking), F12 (Overlay) and F9 (Video Capture).

What video card/chip and what drivers do you have installed ? If you're running a laptop, does it have Intel integrated video and a dedicated video chip (Nvidia or AMD) ? Do you have any software loaded up (running in the background/system-tray) that may be capturing any of these hotkeys ? I would guess off-hand that the games where FRAPS may be working might be DirectX-based games, whereas CM is OpenGL-based. However there are no specific controls/options within FRAPS regarding these two rendering systems. Are you using any sort of graphics post-processing for CM like 'Reshade' (which MIGHT interfere with FRAPS) ?

22 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I have version 3.5.99 of FRAPS working fine in CM games under Windows 10 20H2 x64 with an Nvidia video card using the 456.71 drivers (not the very latest). I'm just using the default options for FRAPS, which includes the hotkeys of F10 (Screen Capture), F11 (Benchmarking), F12 (Overlay) and F9 (Video Capture).

What video card/chip and what drivers do you have installed ? If you're running a laptop, does it have Intel integrated video and a dedicated video chip (Nvidia or AMD) ? Do you have any software loaded up (running in the background/system-tray) that may be capturing any of these hotkeys ? I would guess off-hand that the games where FRAPS may be working might be DirectX-based games, whereas CM is OpenGL-based. However there are no specific controls/options within FRAPS regarding these two rendering systems. Are you using any sort of graphics post-processing for CM like 'Reshade' (which MIGHT interfere with FRAPS) ?

A similar set up as you have. If it aint broke I don't fix it. Would be nice to make a short video in regards tactics I use. I will first use the system which comes in my PC and runs in the background I suspect when I run PowerPoint. My games run perfect on my system, all I have installed is most CM games, Microsoft Office and Affinity Photo program. The latter is great for processing screenshots. 

Hi Schrullenhaft, thanks for getting back to me. I have 3.5.99 version of FRAPS,  using the same defaults options as you.  Desktop PC, Windows 10, 20Hz x 64 bit with Nvidia Card (457.09 drivers), AMD Ryzen 3900XT 12 core processor. 

No known program running in background--I only have one other game installed as of yesterday (IL2 1946 BAT), but it's not running and FRAPS works fine with it when it is. I'll try the older drivers and see what happens.

I didn't realize FRAPS was still around. If you're okay with alternatives and the NVIDIA Shadowplay isn't kicking, try a tool called OBS (stands for Open Broadcaster Software). You can use it to stream, record video, and take snapshots. It runs with minimal hardware drag on my PC which is why I like it. NVIDIA's tools are very crafty as well if you can get that to work -- they have things like record the last x-minutes on the fly, so that if interesting things happen you can record things in the past. Very cool technology, even if most of CM has the replay function going already heh.

Like others posted, the Nvidia tool works great (if you have a supported card) imo, it does all what FRAPS could afaik.

Haven't fiddled with FRAPS for ages because been using the Nvidia tool. Another pro is that it uses hardware acceleration IIRC, or in other words Nvidia put a small chip on cards dealing with the recording so it won't affect the FPS.

I’m glad I had trouble with FRAPS or I wouldn’t have ever known about all these alternatives! I feel kind of bad, though, since I’ve been using FRAPS for 20 years, starting with my first “real” computer wargame/simulator IL2 Sturmovik. Like saying goodbye to an old friend.🥲