Drunken shotgun Mk19

Pandur

I know the Mk19 on the strykers and the USMC tansports was very effective in CMSF, but now they are outright dangerous to friendlys, i keep doing friendly fire with them onto own vehicles and troops. The WW2 rocket artillery was almost more accurate than the Mk19 😄

I am at the end of the army campaign and i give them short cover arc and hide them so they dont see enemy, the .50cal ones are so much better now. i think this went a little too far.

Yeah i dont like the mk19s in CMSF2 either. The spread is awful. Im playing the CMBS battle pack and some platoons have 3 out 4 strykers armed with mk19s and its just bad. Much prefer the 50 cal. 

I believe this was addressed some time ago but i dont know what came of it.

Edited by Boche

Maybe they had to do something about the extreme effectiveness, i can understand that. These things rained down a tight and lethal stream of 40mm grenades. They where a lot more deadly compared to the .50cal, and usually you had 1 in 4. Like the HQ vehicle was the Mk19, the 3 strykers with the squads had the 50cal. That was in CMSF.

Now i wish all of them would be .50 cal cause the Mk19 stryker is dangerous and when it opens fire it hits everything else but the target, it is expending a ton of ammo to hit a single target too. The funny thing is, the supposedly more unstable and low-tech version, the Mk19 (AGS30 too)on tripod behaves as you would expect, it fire a much more tight pattern more similar to the CMSF version, the vehicle mounted Mk19 on the other hand, it is terribly inaccurate, even on short ranges.

I dont know if the USMC amphibious transport, that huge tracked vehicle, suffers form the same problem, i did not use it recently. I wonder how nobody say anything about it or this was not yet, at least somewhat, fixed in 2 patches? I mean it is kinda obvious? By the way i am on version 2.02, so i am on the latest version.

Well if its that effective in real life...then thats what the game is supposed to represent. Ive fired AGLs at targets almost 1 kilometer away and they spread out but the group was tight, and this was from an AGL mounted on a humvee-like vehicle. And yes I have notied that tripod mounted AGLs shoot a tighter group. They also seem to fire off extremely long bursts. MIx the long burts with almost no accuracy makes them useless.

Edited by Boche

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Patch 2.03 out, Mk19 still terrible. I do understand that the Mk19, while performing quiet realistic in CMSF, was probably statistically too good(too many kills in average) as an infantry unit does line up at building walls and when the Mk19 opens fire at them, it just mows them down and makes probably more kills than it would do in reality(if that can be compared).

Im my recent scenarios i played, the Mk19 gets about 2-5 kills in urban scenarios(like Al Amarah) when it is empty. That are about ~300 or so grenades for ~4 kills. That is some big nerf. Rifle squads get more kills. I wish scenarios would give out more .50 cal, the scenario i play now gave me 3 Mk19 and 1 .50 in a platoon :(

That said, they do supress well, when you aim down a building with 2 of them nothing is sticking its head up, but you can not go anywhere near it :) 

Edited by Pandur

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

OfFs6OP.png

From that video. I have never seen an AGL in CM be anything like this inaccurate.

The AGLs in CM do what they're supposed to - they work as suppression weapons, and put out a ton of fire downrange. Should the CEP be tighter? I can believe that, but I'd like to see some actual figures to back that up, because all of the footage I've seen looks pretty similar to the effect in-game.

Your argument falls apart when every vehicle mounted AGL fires like it’s been on a week long bender while every tripod mounted one fires with good accuracy. Like are you seriously arguing that a AGL mounted onto a many thousand lb vehicle is going to be less controllable than a man packed variant deployed on a tripod?

You are going to be surprised by this but a RCWS isn't going to result in accuracy that would make a Brown Bess blush.

Edited by Pelican Pal

The "argument" of "I can believe the CEP should be tighter, but I'd like some data to back that up?"

I have no idea why that "falls apart" or what other argument you or anyone else thinks I'm making there.

The fact there is a discrepancy between the way tripod and vehicle mounted weapons are working is observable, yes. Does that mean the vehicle ones should be more accurate, or the tripod ones less accurate? Does a vehicle mount offer less support for the (considerable) recoil? These are knowable things, and "well, obviously" doesn't mean anything.

You've repeatedly bring out this wishy washy "well we don't know" despite.

- DoD Mk19 gunnery qualification cards
- video evidence

- the clear discrepancy between vehicle and tripod mounted
- service members pointing out issues with the weapon they used (assuming I'm reading  Boche correctly)
- Combat Mission itself having the weapon be more accurate historically

The fact of the matter is that there is a clear problem with AGLs in CM. Another long running bug that was identified 5 years ago

Edited by Pelican Pal

20 hours ago, domfluff said:

The "argument" of "I can believe the CEP should be tighter, but I'd like some data to back that up?"

I have no idea why that "falls apart" or what other argument you or anyone else thinks I'm making there.

The fact there is a discrepancy between the way tripod and vehicle mounted weapons are working is observable, yes. Does that mean the vehicle ones should be more accurate, or the tripod ones less accurate? Does a vehicle mount offer less support for the (considerable) recoil? These are knowable things, and "well, obviously" doesn't mean anything.

I'd expect a 'mechanically stabilized' mount in a ROW setup on a vehicle to feature more tight groupings compared to a manually stabilized tripod mount. The weapon itself isn't more accurate mounted one way or the other, but I'd also guess a properly zero'ed weapon 'slaved' to the weapon controls will also be more accurate compared to the general soldier using the iron sights.

That being said, for a suppression type weapon the 'drunken' aspect has some positives as well.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:14 PM, BamaMatt said:

If you forward the video to the 4:32 mark you will get a better idea of the issue than showing someone firing a tripod mount firing shots skimming the grass.

Yep that's the same exact clip that I saw in pelicans video. In multiple instances the rounds are landing literally right on top of each other.